• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UF Gators moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought I would share this with everyone.
--Steve

UF football: Wuerffel traded to Redskins
By ROBBIE ANDREU
Sun sports writer
One of Danny Wuerffel's prayers has been answered.

He's Steve Spurrier's quarterback again.

Wuerffel, the Heisman winner at UF under Spurrier in 1996, learned Monday he had been traded from the expansion Houston Texans to the Washington Redskins, where he'll be reunited with Spurrier.

Spurrier confirmed the trade for Wuerffel on Monday night and said the Redskins also are in the process of trying to obtain another former UF quarterback great - Shane Matthews - from the Chicago Bears.

"Danny is a done deal and we're trying to get Shane, too. It's close to happening," Spurrier said. "It would be very comfortable to have both of them. It would allow us to coach all the other guys (on offense) knowing that the quarterbacks know what's going on.

"Those two guys have been SEC Player of the Year twice each and they've won six SEC (titles) and a national (title) between them. They know how to win. We hope to have both of them."

Matthews was Spurrier's first quarterback at UF and led the Gators to three SEC titles. He was followed by Wuerffel, who led the Gators to the national title in 1996 and won the Heisman Trophy. They are two of Spurrier's all-time favorite quarterbacks, guys who learned his system and efficiently executed it.

"He's very excited," said Wuerffel's agent, Mike Moye. "This is something he's thought about since well before Coach Spurrier had taken the job with the Washington Redskins. He was always hoping to have another chance to play for coach Spurrier and in his system in the NFL.

"No one knows better than coach Spurrier how well Danny can play the position. This is a great opportunity for Danny. Playing quarterback in the NFL is about survival and Danny has survived to get to this point."

Wuerffel has been mostly a backup in the NFL since getting drafted in the fourth round by the New Orleans Saints after the 1996 national championship season. After spending three seasons with the Saints, Wuerffel was the No. 3 quarterback for a season at both Green Bay and Chicago the past two years.

Wuerffel, who started six games for the Saints (completed 126 of 258 attempts for 1,404 yards, nine touchdowns and 16 interceptions over 17 games in his NFL career), had his best days as a pro when he quarterbacked the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe, where he was coached by former UF coach Galen Hall.

Although he threw for 10,875 yards and 114 touchdowns in his UF career, Wuerffel's arm strength has always been a huge question mark in the NFL. But Spurrier's intricate passing offense relies more on a quarterback's knowledge and timing than sheer arm strength.

At UF, Wuerffel was a master at finding open receivers and reading defenses and making the right checks at the line of scrimmage.

Wuerffel also will be reunited in Washington with his favorite UF receiver - Chris Doering, who signed with the Redskins last Thursday. The two were one of the most potent pass-catching combinations in SEC history.

"That's awesome," said Doering when he learned Wuerffel was heading to the Redskins. "Obviously, we had a great connection in college and it's exciting to have the opportunity to play again with a guy who is a great player and a great friend.

"Coach Spurrier said he puts guys out on the field he has faith in and go play. Danny definitely can play in the NFL. In Coach Spurrier's offense, it's about being smart and being able to throw to the right spot and get to the right play.

"Danny's got all those abilities, as well as being a great competitor. And he's got a lot stronger arm than people think. He can zip it in there."

Grunt

Speaking as a Bears fan, the skins can have Shane Matthews in exchange for one of those mechanical monkeys that play the drums when you wind them up.

Mike the Grunt

dawgfighter

Ackkk!!! I am sooo not a "Superior" fan. Didn't like him when he played against my GA dawgs. ('cause he beat the slop out of 'em of course . I guess its good to hear that he went to the 'Skins though. They are my team. They suck enough for me to suck it up and except their presence at the stadium formaly known as Jack Kent Cook.

Erin
GO NAVY & the SEC!!!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
GO GATORS

Dave

It would be nice if they could get jevon kearse as well!!

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
All I can say about this is THANK GOD SPURRIER IS GONE! With Bama on probation, coupled with the fact that UGA is our b!tch, maybe Auburn can do something in the SEC besides go to the Peach Bowl.

Oh, and more power to Spurrier & Co. He really is a brilliant coach. (Never thought you would've heard that from me )

Tripp

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SANFORD STADIUM CHANGES NAME
University of Georgia Media Relations

The University Board of Regents has decided to rename historic Sanford Stadium in light of the Bulldogs' recent performance there against Auburn University. Henceforth, the Georgia Bulldogs will play in Jordan-Hare Stadium at Sanford Field. "This change was necessitated in part because this seems to be a Home field for Auburn," offered University President Michael Adams. "Especially when we have been outscored 520-422 between the hedges" Head football coach Mark Richt observed that, "Wow...they actually hold a 17-8 advantage here." Radio broadcaster Larry Munson was unavailable for comment, but was seen grumbling something about a "hobnail boot."

dawgfighter

So you wanna play dirty huh! All I have to say is that we might disagree on who has the best team (we all know that it's UGA of course)but we definitely agree that Spurrier is not a nice man! And that's putting it nicely

dawgfighter

Guys,
At least none of you are going to USC. I could have a field day with their mascot.

Erin

Edited by - dawgfighter on 03/15/2002 00:33:08

Tripp

I also read where Spurrier also picked up former Auburn QB Dameyune Craig. Gonna be a veritable SEC reunion up there.

Dawgfighter...are you from Georgia? I grew up in Marietta (my sister is at UGA right now).

dawgfighter

I'm not from GA. I'm pretty much from everywhere (army brat). However I do call the DC area my hometown, specifically Alexandria, VA. My father is from Covington, GA. That's how I ended up going to UGA. I went there to take advantage of the instate fees since that was my dad's state of permanent residency. Like you I also have a sister going to UGA. I'm not in the state of GA currently though. I'm living in St. Louis area.

Status
Not open for further replies.