• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

red_ryder

None
Welp, as soon as they start making them autonomous on the ground, we can start
http://gprime.net/video.php/robotpoliceofficer
\
I for one welcome our new Autonomous Metal Lords....

t3endoskeletons1.jpg

skidz

adrenaline junky
Holy Shit that is mad laughs dude!:D

Luckily, my state hasn't quite submitted yet though!
arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

California is done. Give it up, with the new gun laws and being represented by so crazy women, I don't think this guy is going to help us any.
sch.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just another reason why I want helos over fixed wing.

Don't look now, but unmanned rotorcraft will hit the fleet before UCAS does and someone will have to fly those as well......

180px-Fire_Scout_unmanned_helicopter_crop.jpg

MQ-8 Fire Scout operating with USS Nashville in 2006

skidz

adrenaline junky
But I don't believe helos will switch over as quickly, as they deal more with personnel and requires more human, must be there, decisions than fighter and attack a/c.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I don't believe helos will switch over as quickly, as they deal more with personnel and requires more human, must be there, decisions than fighter and attack a/c.

Like fly from point A to point B, deliver payload, and RTB? Sounds like a mission profile that's ideal for automation.

Brett

MasterBates

I don't think those UAVs will be ready for prime time on a small deck anytime soon.

Too much "reading" of deck motion, timing with rolls, etc.

At least not in bad wx.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think those UAVs will be ready for prime time on a small deck anytime soon.

At least not in bad wx.

If HAL can fly a Hornet M1 coupled to touchdown on the pitching deck of a CVN, he can do RLQs. The technology is there - it's just a matter of applying it.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

At least not in bad wx.

Sorry MB, so far, Fire Scout is rock solid on DLQ performance baffling even the optimists. It's time constant beats the human brain in reacting to deck motion and it doesn't care about Wx (especially poor vis). Ever see the Twilight Zone episode "You are Obsolete"? looks like you are ahead of the game moving to one specialty that likely can't be unmanned.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

At least not in bad wx.

I thought that the A/P in commercial aircraft can supposedly land better more consistently than humans.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Brett and HJ are correct, it does just fine at the boat. The limiting factor in handing over helo missions to UAV's will be a prejudice in favor of having a man in the loop on pax missions.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought that the A/P in commercial aircraft can supposedly land better more consistently than humans.

JPALS is so accurate (mere centimeters) on ship that they will have to "detune" it or vary aim point because it will start wearing out cross deck pendants and LA itself by being too accurate.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
JPALS is so accurate (mere centimeters) on ship that they will have to "detune" it or vary aim point because it will start wearing out cross deck pendants and LA itself by being too accurate.

I'm reading that JPALS is GPS based... isn't the GPS signal so weak that it is incredibly easy to jam?