• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
unmanned.jpg

12/23/2011
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Fwd)
A detachment of Marines from Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron 1 in Afghanistan completed their first unmanned aerial system cargo delivery in a combat zone, Dec. 17. The unmanned helicopter moved about 3,500 pounds of food and supplies from Camp Dwyer to troops at Combat Outpost Payne. The helicopter, an unmanned variant of the K-MAX, completed the delivery in about an hour and a half. By Cpl. Justin M. Boling

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The E-2D is the only manned military aircraft still being built by Northrop-Grumman. Otherwise, we're all about UCAV, GH/BAMS and FireScout. The Iron Works has become Cyberdyne Systems.

MasterBates

And the unanswered question:

Would Ahnold have yelled "Get to the choppa!!" If it was a Firescout.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fester, give me a heads up when the SupaHummer becomes self aware.

For the moment it's still the least sailor-proof airplane I've ever seen, and I'll leave it at that.

I don't think I totally buy the "last manned fighter" hyperbole quite yet. As the economists say, anything that can't last forever, won't. The experience of fighting a UAV-heavy force vs an enemy with his EW shit in one sock could easily lead to a shift back toward manned aircraft, at least for weapons delivery. We keep forgetting that, at least in terms of air warfare, we haven't exactly been fighting the varsity lately. UAVs were a big part of the answer to our current wars; that doesn't mean they're the permanent answer forever. Our older Air Warriors no doubt remember when nukes were the only weapons we'd ever need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MasterBates

I only saw the unicorn fly twice in Norfolk. I wonder if my old squadron (first fleet E-2D squadron) is actually going to fly at all after they turn in the C model at the end of the summer.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I only saw the unicorn fly twice in Norfolk. I wonder if my old squadron (first fleet E-2D squadron) is actually going to fly at all after they turn in the C model at the end of the summer.

We dropped a bunch of E-2D ground support sailors off at Holloman while we were NALOing back from El Centro to Krock. They had 4 of them on the line there- right next to the QF-4s. Coincidence?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We dropped a bunch of E-2D ground support sailors off at Holloman while we were NALOing back from El Centro to Krock. They had 4 of them on the line there- right next to the QF-4s. Coincidence?

No. Any more than that should be moved to SIPR.

As far as I know, the D Fleet intro is on schedule. St Aug is building them at a steady, albeit very slow, pace. And it's a more challenging transition for aircrew to make than, say, the GII to HE2K. Roughly analogous to going from a C Hornet to a Rhino.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are the new Hummers being built from scratch or do they mod an existing airframe?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completely from scratch. D's have almost nothing in common with C's except the airframe and the ass-killing seats.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know about the seats' lineage, just that the design's the same, mostly so they could use the same chutes/PSE across the fleet. Slightly different engines, same props (ugh). The airframe is the same basic design, but required some major changes to the internal structure due to the new equipment. I don't think it'd be physically possible to mod a C to a D.