• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Navy: Pirates Fire on U.S. Helicopter

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I'm still trying to figure out what that video is of. Is that a released Navy video or someone in Combat w/ a camera who thought Youtube would be cool?

The actual FLIR video (and not the video that's on Youtube) has been sanitized (the LAT/LONG and range has been fuzzed out), so I'm guessing this was either a briefing or something they're replaying to send back to Big Navy.

Regardless, it's not a real-time HAWKLINK video (ie the live feed) because, again, the data has been sanitized on the screen and not on the video from the camera.

Remember the 60B uses 1986's best technology. The video is originally on VHS tape. I am betting the ship has no way to digitize straight from the tape. I would guess that they are using the wardroom VCR to review the tape because. Filming the TV is probably the only way they have to get the video off ship rapidly.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Remember the 60B uses 1986's best technology. The video is originally on VHS tape.

Hey they had laserdisk back in 1986 right? :D

laserdisc-600-1-15.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Remember the 60B uses 1986's best technology. The video is originally on VHS tape. I am betting the ship has no way to digitize straight from the tape. I would guess that they are using the wardroom VCR to review the tape because. Filming the TV is probably the only way they have to get the video off ship rapidly.

Believe me, I'm familiar. We actually did have ways to digitize on one of my deployments, but it can be hit and miss. What I was getting at was that this was a youtube video of a video being recorded of another video, but the actual "orignal" video being recorded (on the flat-screen and not the youtube video) had already been sanitized, which would mean the original source would have have to been digitized already (by big Navy or the ship).

And for the record, the -60B does not use 1986's best technology. It's 1979-80's best technology. I mean really, let's get the facts straight.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Good point--maybe they did go ghetto to convert the tape to a digital movie file--which is just a different a sorry excuse, the card in my PC that can do that cost me about a hundred bucks at the exchange in 1999 way back at the end of the last millennium :)

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
It is totally possible and feasible to get a video recording straight from the helo to a downloaded file that does not vibrate. I can't answer with the amount of knowledge on the turret/optic system on a navy helo, but the gyro's on the TADS on the AH-64 totally account for the vibration, giving a very nice stable pic, no matter if the the a/c is going through ETL, hovering, or in a 120 degree bank going 140KTS. If the systems starts vibrating, then the gyros are going bad, and will be fixed prior to going out on mission. The MPD video from the FLIR systems with the Modernized TADS looks way more black and white than green and show's so much more detail. I can see someone taking a pot shot at something, that is almost 2 miles away in the air, they are stupid, but I can see them doing it. Flying in the day time, you would most likely not see it at all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is totally possible and feasible to get a video recording straight from the helo to a downloaded file that does not vibrate. I can't answer with the amount of knowledge on the turret/optic system on a navy helo, but the gyro's on the TADS on the AH-64 totally account for the vibration, giving a very nice stable pic, no matter if the the a/c is going through ETL, hovering, or in a 120 degree bank going 140KTS. If the systems starts vibrating, then the gyros are going bad, and will be fixed prior to going out on mission. The MPD video from the FLIR systems with the Modernized TADS looks way more black and white than green and show's so much more detail. I can see someone taking a pot shot at something, that is almost 2 miles away in the air, they are stupid, but I can see them doing it. Flying in the day time, you would most likely not see it at all.

Hokie, the -44 FLIR on the -60B is the same. Actually, from everything I've been told, the sensor is actually better than the -64 in optical quality (newer gen of camera). The actual video feed on the flat screen in the Youtube video was from a -60B.

MasterBates

When people say its green.. The 60B MFD will only give you shades of green. Old school monochrome monitor. Think old Apple IIC computer.

AppleIIc-Display.jpg