• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Navy: Pirates Fire on U.S. Helicopter

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Why is that ship still floating? Sink it & send Taiwan a check for replacing it.

pilotevans

JUDY-JUDY
pilot
I say we move our bombing ranges on cruise to the coast of Somalia. Plenty of moving targets. A JTAC's wet dream! Slick off some jets. Am I out of line? Cause I know plenty of guys that would volunteer. We could put a big dent in there operation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
That is the best audio from an airborne helo I have ever heard. In fact, it doesn't sound like they are even in a helo at all. Is that a video down link with some guy in CDC with a cup of coffee commenting and others shuffling in to look over his shoulder?

There is no way that that video was taken in a helo. Not enough vibration. Either hawklink or recorded.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no way that that video was taken in a helo. Not enough vibration. Either hawklink or recorded.

I was willing to accept the lack of vibration. I am not familiar with the new video technology you guys play with now. I know the video from our Bell 407 in the Sheriff's Office isn't that steady. But the tax payers were spared the expense of the hottest new tech stuff. But I just can not not accept the audio clarity. I am thinking UAV.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I may have not been clear. The FLIR may very well have been mounted to a helo. The Flir is rather stable. I was more commenting on the person who held up a camera to the video display. That was not done in a helo.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I may have not been clear. The FLIR may very well have been mounted to a helo. The Flir is rather stable. I was more commenting on the person who held up a camera to the video display. That was not done in a helo.

I agree. I think it looks like somebody whipped out their camera phone in CIC and held it up to the display. If that is what it is then the watch team seems like a top notch, no-nonsense, conscientious group of professionals (only the opposite of that)...

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
3,000 yards is a looong shot from ship ship the shooter standing. I'm not even sure you'd know you were being shot at unless you were on NVGs.

MR-

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot

Well and there is the fact that the MPD in the aircraft is monochrome green. (not black and white).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I agree. I think it looks like somebody whipped out their camera phone in CIC and held it up to the display. If that is what it is then the watch team seems like a top notch, no-nonsense, conscientious group of professionals (only the opposite of that)...

I'm still trying to figure out what that video is of. Is that a released Navy video or someone in Combat w/ a camera who thought Youtube would be cool?

The actual FLIR video (and not the video that's on Youtube) has been sanitized (the LAT/LONG and range has been fuzzed out), so I'm guessing this was either a briefing or something they're replaying to send back to Big Navy.

Regardless, it's not a real-time HAWKLINK video (ie the live feed) because, again, the data has been sanitized on the screen and not on the video from the camera.