• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Naval Vessel Collide in Straits of Hormuz

B

bacardi00185

Just saw this break on the news. Apparently a sub and an amphib collided in the Straits of Hormuz. Its not a good time right now for the surface Navy. Just read it was the USS Hartford and the USS New Orleans.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/03/20/navy.vessels.collide/index.html
On a side note there is an interesting article in this weeks Navy Times by Professor Horner from the Naval Academy concerning his perceptions of the surface navy culture.

Lobster

Just saw this break on the news. Apparently a sub and an amphib collided in the Straits of Hormuz. Its not a good time right now for the surface Navy. Just read it was the USS Hartford and the USS New Orleans.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/03/20/navy.vessels.collide/index.html
On a side note there is an interesting article in this weeks Navy Times by Professor Horner from the Naval Academy concerning his perceptions of the surface navy culture.

I hope they have Geico ;).

Seriously though...ruh roh

BigRed389

None
While there's definitely been a rash of Surface Navy "incidents" lately highlighting a trend of decreased proficiency in the basic seamanship, it's hard to see how a LPD is supposed to avoid hitting a SUBMERGED submarine.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Too many "freak" incidents in too short a time.
I hope we figure out who is interfering with our nav systems and shut down their little operation soon.
OR straighten out whatever lack of "basic seamanship" there may be contributing to making us look like *expletive*(plural).

P3 F0

None
While there's definitely been a rash of Surface Navy "incidents" lately highlighting a trend of decreased proficiency in the basic seamanship, it's hard to see how a LPD is supposed to avoid hitting a SUBMERGED submarine.
Sonar? And if they were in comms, that's another way. Not putting the blame on either, just saying. There's a lot we don't know, but either way, yeah, the sub skipper is done.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Out of respect for the crews of both vessels, we should wait to pass judgment and make jokes.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Well, when there is a "rash" of aviation mishaps, even if they appear to be unrelated, typically there is a "safety standdown" to get everyone's focus back on the important things. Is there an equivalent in the surface and sub communities?

P3 F0

None
Apparently. VAdm Curtis had the surface guys stand down in Feb, I think. Like The Renegade points out, it didn't quite work as planned.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Out of respect for the crews of both vessels, we should wait to pass judgment and make jokes.
Agree.....I am waiting to pass judgement.....and making jokes. In other news, the unemployment rate spiked today.........and there are new opportunities for command-at/under-sea!

Second thought. I am going to pass judgement on the watchstanders..........

P3 F0

None
Just to be clear: a) only a few handfuls of folks were hurt, and they're fine now; b) I guarantee something broke down equipment and/or human chain-wise somehow on both ships; and c) I think we all share the "There but for the grace of God..." attitude.

But I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be traumatized or dripping with sympathy by it. I'll save that for the true disasters. This fender bender happened. It's the equivalent of CFIT--someone at some level f*cked up, and that's not passing judgment, it's fact. It's ok to crack a joke or two. I really don't even see why we can't throw out conjecture about it. Sure, we'd be pissing in the wind, but as long as we stay clear of OPSEC, there could be some interesting discussion--we have SWO's on this board. Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox. If I'm off base, the mods can rightfully squash me.