• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 carrier landings

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I loved see the Plane Guard helo in the background. It must have made for some interesting laps in Port D.

Ric

Not bad for a plane that needs Camaros to chase it down the runway when it lands

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Just got done reading the book "The Skunk Works" by Ben Rich and they talk about the U-2 Carrier operations in there. I didn't realize they were acutally operational for a while. Incredible book if anyone feels like reading it, I promise it won't let you down. Funny that one of Kelly's rules was to never develop anything for the Navy.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Just got done reading the book "The Skunk Works" by Ben Rich and they talk about the U-2 Carrier operations in there. I didn't realize they were acutally operational for a while. Incredible book if anyone feels like reading it, I promise it won't let you down. Funny that one of Kelly's rules was to never develop anything for the Navy.

Concur with Sapper's recommendation on the book Skunkworks". http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I have a book somewhere here on the U-2 that describes the training. Of course it was all USAF or ex-USAF pilots at the time and none of them had any traps so they sent them to VT-4 for the T-2 FAM and some traps. One of them wrote that of course they had to act like cats and traps were no big deal but he was as anxious as any nugget at the boat and found it to be as much fun as he had ever had in a plane. He really admired the nuggets going out with a hundred hours when he had something like 6000 hours by his first trap.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
the u-2 and the f-104 have the same basic fuselage
f-104.jpg

u2.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
the u-2 and the f-104 have the same basic fuselage

And the ejection seat is right out of the F-104. The U-2 doesn't even have a wing spar that goes through the fuselage. The wings are simply bolted to the side of the thing. HuggyU2 can provide a whole lot more I'm sure. There was a former CG Helo guy as the U-2 det in PSAB last I was there and he gave us a great tour.

Sadly, no NFO needed.