• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Type of camera while deployed?

Lucy

Gonna make a trip to the store in the next few days to see which I can get my hands on and get a feel for.

As far as taking it or not on a routine basis, I am one more likely to not take a camera with me. When I do it is normally a 'hassle' so outside of being too heavy I am not concerned about the weight. My laptop is a little more than 7 pounds and I tote it around fairly regularly.

Thanks all and I welcome more input. :)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I'll endorse the Canon Powershot. Currently have the Canon SD960. HD video, high quality pictures, can't complain. Keep away from beaches though or sand in general.

CAMike

None
Contributor
A4'S 35MM unit is an excellent example of lens technology progression. That huge piece of glass hanging below A4's belt is likely an f1.4 lens. That speed was near rocket science back then. Today one can get a nearly fast f1.8 in a small digital model for about $400. Back in the 60's that f1.4 was considered pretty high end lens and was worth a couple of months pay. My Canon EOS AE-1 Program in 35mm was MORE than one months pay at the time but it was well worth it. UNTIL the Hitler Youth Academy Grads at the TSA used a screwdriver to see if film was inside! Someday there WILL be payback for that action...I'm just biding my time for now.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Here is a link to Ken Rockwell. Ken does impressive reviews/tests/analysis of camera/lenses/flash. I find his reviews facinating and accurate, elbeit a bit tounge in cheek at times. He is independent (donations appreciated) but think he burns no bridges so a word of caution to that end. Here is what he said about the olympus micro, maybe not the 1030 but similar.

worth the trip: http://www.kenrockwell.com/olympus/verve.htm

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As you can see, you need to decide what features are important to you besides price. One thing I will say is that if you go the compact PND route, get one that is reasonably fast and performs well in automatic. I bought a 'high end' PNS with a lot of manual controls, but the small lens and small sensor packed with too many megapixels for marketing value makes anything over ISO 400 and faster lens speeds/higher f stops unusable due to severe image degradation. When using a flash, shutter speed control doesn't make a difference until you get low enough that any movement at all will blur the picture, and aperture control on such a small, wide angle lens does nothing when not taking macro photos. The fully automatic Lumix (lx3 I think) that i bought my Mom for xmas for $250 outperforms my $450 PNS because its faster and the manual controls on my camera are useless if not taking pictures outdoors on a sunny day. If manual control is your thing, then go the slr route.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Here is a link to Ken Rockwell. Ken does impressive reviews/tests/analysis of camera/lenses/flash. I find his reviews facinating and accurate, elbeit a bit tounge in cheek at times. He is independent (donations appreciated) but think he burns no bridges so a word of caution to that end. Here is what he said about the olympus micro, maybe not the 1030 but similar.

For doing so much reviewing, and having such "great" gear, umm, he doesn't take very many outstanding photos. :-/ Maybe 1/20 on his site are great, professional quality pictures. Maybe it's just me, but I expect a lot more from a professional photographer peddling his wares/knowledge.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot

Maybe my comprehension sucks, but seems like that review was from about 6 years ago.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Maybe my comprehension sucks, but seems like that review was from about 6 years ago.

No, comprehension fine, as I said it was not the 1030 rather, an Olympus micro, Olympus in general, and overall, for what is is worth, you pay your money take your chances, a discussion of Olympus and micro cameras in general, and for the very spirited folks, Ken is a resource to look at other cameras reviewed. Pay your money, take your chances.

No dog in the show, do not receive donations, just thought it would be helpful to someone trying to choose between, say, a Nikon D3x around $7 grand and a disposable type camera. As pointed out before in this thread, camera technology has made impressive gains, but my 1961 Canon RM takes as good photos as the newest and glitziest (maybe better as the lens is better). Example: I did not even know what corner flare was until the digitals came along. Disclaimer: No luddite here.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5

I've used a couple of different iterations of the Lumix family over the years and have continually been happy with the results. Small, simple, and it takes good shots. Their image stabilization is really good as well. This is the best digital camera I've ever used in low light situations that digital cameras usually struggle in, specifically, it takes great bar pictures.