• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two year college program

flyeagle111

I'm finally looking to join Navy ROTC. I spent my first couple of years at the University of North Dakota for aviation, but have decided to do my best and earn a slot for the college program at another university this fall (Und doesn't have Navy ROTC). I talked to Embry Riddle's freshman Navy advisor and he says that I need to be "approved" by headquarters, not the batallion. So my question is, how difficult is it to get approved? I'm trying to get into contact with someone to see how this process starts (closest ROTC batallion supposedly?)...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You won't get "approved" if you don't try. That's about all anyone here can really tell you about chances.

Creature

Good to hear you're check it out. I was a 2 year guy and here's what I did to get a scholarship. Whatever NROTC unit unit you're looking to join you have their advisor tell you waht you need to do to apply for the scholarship. The advisor that helped me with everything told me exactly what I had to do for the scholarship, then once I got the scholarship taht unit was the one that notified me. I had to put a lot of pressure on them to get everything in on time. I did all my interviews and stuff with the unit as well. Once you find out you've gotten the scholarship you go through a program over the summer at NSI in Newport, RI to indoc you in the navy and catch up with all the classes you missed your first two years of ROTC. As far as difficulty for getting "approved" I'm assuming he means getting a scholarship? That would depend on all your physical stuff, major and GPA.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I also was a 2 year scholarship guy (Actually graduating this spring) And just like the previous posts have said you wont know your chances unless you apply... Don't listen to the hype or rely on the odds trust me.. this is coming from a guy who sucks in math and is a poly sci major but somehow the navy seen fit to give me a chance :)

flyeagle111

Thanks for the responses so far. I got into contact with the NROTC batallion from my hometown and the LT there is helping me out. I asked him a few questions and he said he'd send all of the info for me to fill out within a couple of days so we can get started. I will be going for Tier 2 scholarship, have a 3.8 gpa, and some extra curriculars so I am hoping that they see hope in me. Very excited to get this process going, hopefully it is quick!

cameron172

pilot
85% of scholarships go to Tier 1 or 2 majors and with that GPA, seems like your chances are good. From what I hear, NSI isn't all that bad either. Definitely not OCS!

SpeednAngles

85% of scholarships go to Tier 1 or 2 majors and with that GPA, seems like your chances are good. From what I hear, NSI isn't all that bad either. Definitely not OCS!

NSI wasn't nearly as bad as what the OCS guys had to go through, for one our training was only 6 weeks compared to 13 for OCS. They had multiple DI's whereas we only had one.