• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Weeks at OCS: How to Get NPQ'd

foniks

What did the doctor tell you? I would definately wait to run at least 8 weeks. Do some cross training, and you'll be good to go in no time. Definately do not run at all though, if you are looking to heal as quickly as possible. If you run a little (even if you feel you can), your injury will linger on for a while.

For the record, it's usually very rare for a stress fracture to turn into a full blown fracture. The possibility is really really slim, actually. However, running on a stress fracture can definately make you need more time to recover from the fracture. They do hurt pretty bad, too.

I knew a guy who won the state cross country meet on a lingering stress fracture. It just hurt like hell.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
For the record, it's usually very rare for a stress fracture to turn into a full blown fracture. The possibility is really really slim, actually.
The possibility of a full blown fracture is always there, we just assume everyone would stop running before it breaks.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
It's an ongoing diagnosis process, nothing definite yet. I'll know more soon. I'm taking it easy until then, though.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Anyone else read this article? Interesting, definitely. The running technique will also have to be tried. However, I'm raising a major BS flag on the ability to live off of beer and "corn water" and run 100 miles when you're 60.

That is a GREAT article. Freakin' insane. I know I am gonna try it. Anecdotally there explanations make a lot of sense. Although I'm not quite ready to give up eating meat:D

Spin

SNA in Meridian
You'd be supprised how much stretching helps. Stretch in the morning when you wake up and at night before you got to bed ... whether or not you run. Stretched every night at OCS in the rack after lights out.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Ya, did that, too. One benefit of a top bunk, if you get one, is being able to lay on your back and put your heels up on the recessed vent thing and stretch on it.

My case, though, was probably more about conditioning. You need strong legs. I'd advise anyone potential candidate to not just run, but to do lower leg exercises as well. If your muscles wear out, impact transfers to the bone. This is where the cracks come from.

But, yeah, stretching is imperative also. You can't do it enough.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Ya, did that, too. One benefit of a top bunk, if you get one, is being able to lay on your back and put your heels up on the recessed vent thing and stretch on it.

My case, though, was probably more about conditioning. You need strong legs. I'd advise anyone potential candidate to not just run, but to do lower leg exercises as well. If your muscles wear out, impact transfers to the bone. This is where the cracks come from.

But, yeah, stretching is imperative also. You can't do it enough.

Know what you mean about the top rack. I was pissed when we dropped someone after the 5 week boards and ever since i was shifted to the bottom. As far as the strong legs, its true. They told us something like 80% of all injuries are below the waist. Not sure if that number is exact but you get the point.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Yeah, we had something like 10 NPQ by week two, only one was a shoulder injury. The rest were legs. Become strong, like bull!

MasterHaynes86

Hmm, I love how Officers and candidates come in here to help each other. Zilch, sorry to hear about OCC goin down for ya, i was rootin a prayin for ya... I think u got a little too much "OORAH" in ur blood before OCS and trained like an insane man.

From my OCS Juniors experience, stretch each night before you actually go to sleep, drink at LEAST 1.5 canteens of water (firewatch filled ours and they make u drink one before hitting the rack). Stretch your legs AND arms, you will need it. I also would have firewatch wake me well before lights on so i could stretch a little more and limber up for pt (even tho they do stretch you)

Some things that have worked for me. I built my own pull up bars in my backyard and everytime I walk outside I do a set of 10-15, switching grips every time I get outside and a max set once a day. Crunches aren't rocket science, just do them... and For running, I run pavement AND in the dirt... I just run most of the time giving it a little umph and I test once a week... I'm a runner and have recently taken a 25:30 (i was sick) down to a 23 or so...

Hey Zilch, will i be seeing you at OCS this summer? I'm plannin on goin to PLC Srs 1st increment...

OORAH... you dont necessarily have to train "hard at once" just push yourself consistently, comfortably, and safely... oh, and by comfortable I mean step out of your comfort zone, just not into the hospital

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Three ways to reduce your chances of injury are to: (1) cross-train ie: swim, hike, elliptical, sprints, (2) strength train, targeting the quad muscles, hip flexors, and glutes and, (3) start a good stretching routine. If you do these, you will greatly reduce your likelihood of injury.

This sounds like great advice. I just started running again this summer to get in shape for a soccer league I joined. I didn't cross-train and couldn't keep up with all the sprinting required when the season started, and the first game I pulled a hip-flexor.

Also, great post Zilch, I'm kind of in the same situation (well, not for the age waiver, but trying to get in a good package for a january board) and I'm feeling a little pressure to get into shape quickly to get a good PFA.

CrysisComa

glad i found this thread because i might be on that path. iv been accepted to OCS and leave in a few months. very motivated/worried. so upped my running from about 8 miles a week to about 20. and changed my running surface from softer stuff to concrete and asphalt (the pft is on those surfaces).

i can pass the pft but i take another one before i leave and i need a good run time. i feel like i dont have time to build up slowly. but now when i run (or today even walk) iv got some pain in my knees.

my problem is trying to decide if im just bitching about it and its not that bad, or if i need to take it a bit easier. maybe run on some gravel/grass.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
glad i found this thread because i might be on that path. iv been accepted to OCS and leave in a few months. very motivated/worried. so upped my running from about 8 miles a week to about 20. and changed my running surface from softer stuff to concrete and asphalt (the pft is on those surfaces).

i can pass the pft but i take another one before i leave and i need a good run time. i feel like i dont have time to build up slowly. but now when i run (or today even walk) iv got some pain in my knees.

my problem is trying to decide if im just bitching about it and its not that bad, or if i need to take it a bit easier. maybe run on some gravel/grass.

Could just be pain or could be worst but I think you should rest it first to see what that does... Take a few days off then run again and see what happens...

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Stop running on concrete. You run on concrete basically twice at OCS when you run the PFT, and even part of that is on dirt/gravel. Run on grass, gravel, a track, and hills. Run some in boots if you have some.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i might suggest doing some cross country running with a lot of hills. also, i am fortunate to have a beach with sand dunes about 2 miles away. i take a bike up there which provides a decent low impact warm up and do the dunes for 40 minutes. good thing about dunes is that you are working as hard as you can but you shouldn't have problems with impact injuries. i have found that running up hill is also really a low impact effort. shin splints may result with excessive speed downhill. i don't think running in boots is a good idea. you might consider those velcro ankle weights. i think 1 pounders are more than enough.
see link
http://www.amazon.com/ZON-1-Pound-A...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1302202070&sr=1-1

re: pullups.... you might consider getting one of those pullup bars that fit very nicely in just about any doorway. just do a few several times a day, not the max you can do only once a day. i think you will find that the daily total average will be quite a bit higher. same thing with crunches... just do half what is required but do that several times a day. do the max two or three times a week
see link
http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Source-Doorway-Chin-up-Pull-Up/dp/B002YQUP7Q
re: stretching...not a good idea with cold muscles. just start out with a slow pace. after 5-10 minutes stop and stretch if you want.

a bit of a brag follows,

(old farts like me can do that)

the local marine district lets me run the pft each quarter with them. still manage to pass at age 64. (of course, i get 33 minutes for the 3 miles.)