• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turn down by the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cessnajet1h

Hi everyone
First let me start to say that i submitted my package for pro-rec in December. I was not pro-rec for pilot.......at the time i had not finished my degree and my ASTB scores were 6's and 7's accross the board with 46 OAR....and a 3.GPA and my major is Aviation Operations B.S. I also have around 300 hours of flying with an instrument rating....As of this month my degree was finished and my GPA is now 3.15, i also had LOR from a Navy captain....and the same full time job for 5 yrs. I am now 26 yrs old....i talk to my recruiter and he said to retake the ASTB, but I am not sure if that would have a mjor impact, or my timing was just wrong.........anyhow I just seek advice.....the Navy Captain said he would back my application until we get it done.....but i feel a little lost....

I feel like they aren't accepting very many people at all right now. Everyone keeps haveing awsome stats and no one is getting accepted. Hang in there... it might take a while though. Good luck!

chazmurr

Hey Omar,
I know what you are going through. Last year in April I applied with an application that I thought was outstanding. I had straight 9's and a 66 OAR. I graduated with a major in Physics and a 3.88 GPA I think I just applied at a time when they were not accepting any one. I decided to wait until this January to apply again. My stuff went in a two weeks ago, and I am on pins and needles waiting for a response. The only difference for me is that I am a couple years younger than you. So I have a little bit longer to wait before the dream becomes a pipe dream. But you must not lose track of this goal that you have. Try to do anything that you can to make you a better, more rounded person. Find something that you are not currently doing and try to slip it somewhere into what I am sure is a busy schedule. That is the best advice I can give you. Eventually, the recruiting command will see that this is an important goal for you and will be forced to allow you to obtain it.

Good luck to you!
Nick

DABEAN81

Hey sorry to hear you were turned down, but i can't say i'm surprised. If i were you, i'd retake the astb, you must have a composite score in the upper 50's and you should probably have 8's and 9's across the board. Remember your competeing with people with those scores and gpa's in the upper 3s. If you can bring your astb score to that level, you might have a shot. Good luck to you

CARJAK

Don't get discouraged, My first package was denied as well. My recruiter told me to resubit in a few weeks and it worked. All I changed was my personal statement of why I wanted to be a Navy officer. Try to include something about your determination and desire to be a Naval officer. Don't include anything about your wanting to become a Naval Aviator. It makes it look like your priorites are focused more on being a pilot that being a dedicated Naval Officer. Just my two cents.

cessnajet1h

THanks guys for you imput, I actually have heard that re-taking the ASTB has little impact and that my timing was just wrong, I think i am going to re-write my motivational statement and see how can i do extra curricular activities so my package looks better.....well, any more suggestions just send them my way....thanks......keep your dreams of flyinng...

cessnajet1h

thanks Pat
I did have 3 other LORs and one of those was from my current employer which is the University I attended, which i have been there 5 1/2 yrs til today, the other was from my academic advisor at the University, the other one was from former Air Force pilot and retired Airline Captain from Continental Airlines, and the last was from a Professor who taught at the University and his current position is Director of Operations for Salt Lake City International Airport, all except my employer had PHD's level, and I presented my motivational statement to the Navy Captain and he said it was a good one, so I really don't know where i screwed up, my recruiter said it could have been the fact that when i submitted my package i still had one more quarter of school left, and now i just got my degree confirmed so is good for me, he said maybe that was the bad thing......because most of the applicant were graduates already....and with my flight time experience i thought i would have a pretty good chance....but i guess it is a test of how bad i wanted......AND I WANTED BAD, i want to stay in the Navy until my life permits, and just want to serve my country and make a difference, anyhow thanks for your imput..

gagirl

Cessnajet1h...

I wish you good luck. I can tell how badly you want it...don't lose sight of that dream. I would keep resubmitting your package until they accept you. From the scores it sounds like it was just a bad time.
Anyway, good luck and keep the sight posted on how everything is going.

Don't lose sight of your dreams!!

sludge31

Don't give up man...I got shot down on my first try too...I have a 62 OAR with 7's and a 99 ASVAB...I decided to enlist and give it a try from the enlisted ranks...a week after I entered DEP my OPO recruiter called to tell me that if I resubmitted that I would be pro-rec'ed...I would suggest that you retake the astb...I raised my scores tremendously the second time around...from 53 with 3's and 4's to a 62... take a stop watch into the test with you and try to manage your time better...good luck and don't give up!!!

av8tor

As the economy rebounds things are subject to change. If you are unable to be selected now, three months and the whole ball of wax could change.

Status
Not open for further replies.