• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA or T&A ???

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
You really think I have it out for this community, huh? I guess it's time for me to go back to lurking.

Post away dude. Just curious if the people making the "loudest" and most emotional arguments against the TSA have any better ideas? It's one thing to bitch and moan about something, and quite another to further the conversation with well thought out alternatives.

magnetfreezer

Post away dude. Just curious if the people making the "loudest" and most emotional arguments against the TSA have any better ideas? It's one thing to bitch and moan about something, and quite another to further the conversation with well thought out alternatives.

1. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/10/19-billion-later-pentagon-best-bomb-detector-is-a-dog/ - save the $6-9 million per airport spent on backscatter machines and spend it on bomb sniffing dogs (an additional benefit of dogs is, as stated by the current TSA chief, the reactions of a terrorist/etc to a dog walking by on a random search can tip off the behavioral observation officers).

2. Finish securing cockpit doors; post 9/11, almost all passengers will realize that hijackers no longer intend to land and release them after negotiations. Like Flight 93, they will likely do everything in their power to stop hijackers. If AQ can't get into the cockpit, there is less motivation to hijack in the first place. Allow concealed carry holders and state/local law enforcement to carry on board; Mythbusters and other sources have thoroughly debunked the idea that a bullet hole and the ensuing decompression will bring down a plane. Mandate frangible ammo only if you're worried.

3. Since profiling seems to be a dirty word, implement behavioral analysis similar to the Israelis. While Richard Reid and several others were not "middle eastern looking", Israeli style questions and analysis would likely have revealed their Islamist activities/training/connections as well as nervous/other indicators of a pending attack.

4. Finally, some risk will have to be accepted to maintain liberty; as aviators, we can avoid 99% of the risk of airplanes by leaving them in the hangar. However, we choose to accept certain risk levels in return for other benefits. ORM is much more feasible than total risk avoidance.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I've often wondered if people would be happier if they didn't SEE security measures.

I.E. walking through a narrow passageway to get to your gate. There's no sign of security around, however you've just had a full scan done on you and your luggage as you've walked through this passageway. At the other end of the passageway, there are plain clothed 'officers' waiting to pull people aside if there's anything suspicious. These people would be dressed in a business casual attire, and perform basically the same function as TSA agents do now. All of the additional 'screening' would be done out of the public view. This way, people don't FEEL like they're being stripped of their right to privacy (though flying is completely voluntary, and people are not being FORCED to fly).

It's just whimsical suggestion.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Mythbusters and other sources have thoroughly debunked the idea that a bullet hole and the ensuing decompression will bring down a plane. Mandate frangible ammo only if you're worried.

I would be less worried about the explosive decompression, and more worried about Jonny Redneck, who thinks he's a great shot, shooting four people before he hits his target. (Utilitarian analysis would say it's worth the danger. . .)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
1. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/10/19-billion-later-pentagon-best-bomb-detector-is-a-dog/ - save the $6-9 million per airport spent on backscatter machines and spend it on bomb sniffing dogs (an additional benefit of dogs is, as stated by the current TSA chief, the reactions of a terrorist/etc to a dog walking by on a random search can tip off the behavioral observation officers).

2. Finish securing cockpit doors; post 9/11, almost all passengers will realize that hijackers no longer intend to land and release them after negotiations. Like Flight 93, they will likely do everything in their power to stop hijackers. If AQ can't get into the cockpit, there is less motivation to hijack in the first place. Allow concealed carry holders and state/local law enforcement to carry on board; Mythbusters and other sources have thoroughly debunked the idea that a bullet hole and the ensuing decompression will bring down a plane. Mandate frangible ammo only if you're worried.

3. Since profiling seems to be a dirty word, implement behavioral analysis similar to the Israelis. While Richard Reid and several others were not "middle eastern looking", Israeli style questions and analysis would likely have revealed their Islamist activities/training/connections as well as nervous/other indicators of a pending attack.

4. Finally, some risk will have to be accepted to maintain liberty; as aviators, we can avoid 99% of the risk of airplanes by leaving them in the hangar. However, we choose to accept certain risk levels in return for other benefits. ORM is much more feasible than total risk avoidance.

This. Absolutely spot on.

Also, we could require all passengers to either eat a bacon sandwich or sing Hava Nagila prior to boarding.

Ok. Maybe that last part might be considered offensive, but it might be surprisingly effective.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in favor of biometric screening. We have the technology, it would reduce lines, make TSA more efficient, and would be welcome by many travelers. It is way overdue.

After all my military service and several background investigations along with being a retired airline pilot, I should be a "trusted" traveler. Put the little screen-machine to my retina, and it will quickly tell you who Catmando is. Many could be pre-screened and registerd without the hassle of ever being patted down.

BTW I was just about to mistakenly mention all the holes and glaring inconsistencies in TSA screening. But what I know is better not publicized here, for obvious reasons. Sorry.
linky
linky

highresafghan0209200918.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If AQ can't get into the cockpit, there is less motivation to hijack in the first place. Allow concealed carry holders and state/local law enforcement to carry on board; Mythbusters and other sources have thoroughly debunked the idea that a bullet hole and the ensuing decompression will bring down a plane. Mandate frangible ammo only if you're worried.

Good post. Some intelligent food for thought :) Couple of counterpoints: AQ has demonstrated that they're satisfied trying to simply blow up the airplanes - the recent attacks (we know about) have not really tried to take over the cockpit. More of a make it go boom approach.

A dude with a concealed carry permit being allowed to carry a firearm aboard an airplane scares the hell out of me. I think we can all agree that there are A LOT of with CC permits that we don't want using their own judgement about using it in a crowded cabin.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Good post. Some intelligent food for thought :) Couple of counterpoints: AQ has demonstrated that they're satisfied trying to simply blow up the airplanes - the recent attacks (we know about) have not really tried to take over the cockpit. More of a make it go boom approach.

A dude with a concealed carry permit being allowed to carry a firearm aboard an airplane scares the hell out of me. I think we can all agree that there are A LOT of with CC permits that we don't want using their own judgement about using it in a crowded cabin.

The dogs would likely be more effective at finding explosives than what we have now. Especially in cargo where the real threat is.

If explosives is the big threat, then why all the stress about items ranging from handguns to toenail clippers?

There are all kinds of folks with CCW permits around you every day. Why is a plane particularly special? Pressurization? Tight quarters?

The dudes that defended UAL 93 used cans of soda and hot coffee. Probably would have been nice to have a more effective weapon.

magnetfreezer

This. Absolutely spot on.

Also, we could require all passengers to either eat a bacon sandwich or sing Hava Nagila prior to boarding.

Ok. Maybe that last part might be considered offensive, but it might be surprisingly effective.

Not going to work. You'd have massively delayed flights since at least 50% of people would decide to go through security multiple times (mmm... bacon...)

BigRed389

None
I am in favor of biometric screening. We have the technology, it would reduce lines, make TSA more efficient, and would be welcome by many travelers. It is way overdue.

After all my military service and several background investigations along with being a retired airline pilot, I should be a "trusted" traveler. Put the little screen-machine to my retina, and it will quickly tell you who Catmando is. Many could be pre-screened and registerd without the hassle of ever being patted down.

BTW I was just about to mistakenly mention all the holes and glaring inconsistencies in TSA screening. But what I know is better not publicized here, for obvious reasons. Sorry.
linky
linky

highresafghan0209200918.jpg

Problem with biometrics is it only works on repeat offenders.

It seems most real security risks on an airplane intend to make it their first, and last attempt at criminal activity.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Problem with biometrics is it only works on repeat offenders.

If a biometric screen data says I held TS/SCI, a long history of no-negatives, and flew for a major airline for a couple of decades, why is that not good enough to pass through as a trusted pax?

Indeed I have been allowed by my government into places few are ever allowed to go or even know about, without the proper national security clearances, both in the Navy and within the airline industry. My government trusts me, and has every right to.

Yet I am still a terrorist suspect, every time I fly. Please let technology tell them who I am so they can concentrate on the real bad guys.

I always get frisked and patted down by TSA every flippn' time I fly (even though some of them know me personally by name) because of the many bits of metal in my chest, and leg. :icon_rage

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The TSA attempts to make a secure passenger cabin, but a secure aircraft? No. They would have to screen all the cargo for that to be possible. How about the service/catering personnel? Screened? Many in my observation are immigrants. Did we really do a thorough background check on them?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The dogs would likely be more effective at finding explosives

I love the idea of dogs. Big mean gnarly looking sons of bitches.

To the point about CCW, yeah its the confined space/tight quarters. Not everyone who has a CCW permit is CQC ninja. I've got this image in my head of Yosemite Sam :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Serious question .... do you think that TSA is on the right track with their current methods?
No, I do not.

IF
I was runnin' the show ... it would go down differently.

Right now, we're lookin' for needles in haystacks ... and being 'lucky' is not a defensive strategy ...