• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA or T&A ???

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Throwing out political correctness is not the answer. Al-Qaeda, al-Shabaab and AQAP have all had success finding western, AKA WHITE, recruits.

I am half afraid to write this on here because I don't want to start a huge fight. I just couldn't pass without throwing my opinion into the mix.

I don't think that racial profiling is the solution. It just seems to be a convenient sloution to those who don't happen to be in the category proposed to be profiled.

But while we are on the topic of profiling by "looks", why dont we start a few years further back.

Stop letting anyone that looks like this renting trucks...
View attachment 12425
Don't let anyone that looks like this send any mail without seeing what is inside first..
View attachment 12424View attachment 12423

Daniel Boyd looks pretty close to one of my instructors. In this pic it looks like he even started growing his stache for the boat...
View attachment 12426
There are exceptions to every rule but at least 95% of the terrorist activities targeted against the U.S. and our allies are being conducted by a certain ethnic/religious group. If profiling helps protect us against this terrorist from this ethnic/religious group, then we need to profile. Fuck PC and we'll just have to find other ways to catch the 5% not covered by the profiling.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I can't believe your fingers actually typed that. Where is you perspective coming from? What is the frequency of occurrence?

Your post gave me a flashback to my second grade teacher rapping my knuckles with a thick oak ruler for not thinking before speaking. Thanks Pill.

Abdulmutallab (underwear bomber) is black and doesn't have an stereotypical Arab name. Any organizatoin wishing to do harm to Americans or any other non-nutjobs isn't going to be sending some shady guy in turban and shalwar kameez named Muhammed Jihad bin Laden.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I don't think that racial profiling is the solution. It just seems to be a convenient sloution to those who don't happen to be in the category proposed to be profiled

Race is just part of a successful profiling effort. Race/documents/type ticket/purchase method/flight destination/flight source/flight layovers/baggage and a myriad of other items that help put together one or two layers of successful defense-in-depth to keep an airliner from being hijacked or blown up are the keys to success.

Alas, from what I've seen in a lot of domestic and overseas travel and from what folks who have worked at TSA / DHS have told me it is highly unlikely that this TSA "gang that can't shoot straight" will ever put it together. We'll simply continue to rely on the current track record of passengers realizing that anyone who is a threat will go down in a hail of pillows, blankets and fists as the final barrier to this ever happening again.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good read on how Israel takes care of things through "profiling":

Airport Israelification: http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/744199

The vast majority of their international air traffic goes through one major international airport, not a realistic model to duplicate here.

.....But I think it is only a matter of time until public opinion forces the TSA to back down or Congress to act. Especially since there are scanners that don't show the body but just show a stick figure with any objects appropriately placed on the stick figure.

Maybe not, apparently the vast majority of people support body scans.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe not, apparently the vast majority of people support body scans.

I subscribe to the theory that the vast majority also don't fly that much and don't see a personal loss. Groping (and other intrusions) are all a-ok in the interest of security until they're touching your junk. Hopefully the holiday season will shift that.

m26

Contributor
TSA can take a g-rated x-ray of me all they want. That is really the least of my worries if you ask me. There is no big deal to the enhanced pat-downs either. Pick your poison and get with the program... In the face of growing threat to air travel, one would expect that the last thing on people's mind is their "right" to privacy.

There is a continuum between doing nothing about the threat and insane, over-the-top police state overcorrection. The line must be drawn somewhere, and for me body scanning or pat downs is about 50 miles over the sanity line.

As for the profiling thing, racial profiling is going to be somewhat ineffective and the blowback from being "politically incorrect" shouldn't just be written off. Effective security should take it into account, along with a host of other features.

IRfly

None
Courtesy, common sense, and a little discretion for the screener would help a lot. Anyone who has ever flown El Al should know that there is a night and day difference between their people and our people. TSA: My kid sees a playground in the airport and makes a run, passing the security exit by a yard or two before he stops, in full view of the officer sitting there. Can he come back to us? No way...It might threaten the security of the traveling public. El Al: While they were very thoroughly searching my suitcase (in my presence) I noticed that I had accidently packed a textbook that belonged to a friend of mine. An officer not only volunteered to accompany me to another area of the airport to contact my friend, but they held on to the book at the screening area until he came to pick it up. Bottom line: be a mensch.

In TSA's defense, though, I wonder if on a micro level, some of the screeners realize how ridiculous this is for some people and actually ARE applying common sense. Flying in and out of Honolulu fairly often, it seems like there's a little more 'aloha' than in, say, Atlanta....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
All right, this one really is appalling. Are these screeners stupid? He told them he had a medical condition.

a TSA Agent working in MS makes 29k a year.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

• Have reached his/her 18th birthday at the time of application submission;
  • Be proficient in English (e.g., reading, writing,
    speaking, and listening);
  • Have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent; OR
  • Have at least one year of full-time work experience in security
    work, aviation screener work, or X-ray technician work.

This comes from here http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.a...ler=basic.aspx&ss=0&AVSDM=2010-10-22+12:07:00

OscarMyers

None
I cant imagine what the TSA has up their sleeve for the next terrorist threat. Suppository bomb? Full cavities for everyone!