• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA or T&A ???

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That's one of the dirty little 'secrets' that the FEDs and the airlines have been hiding for at least a decade + ... that a disproportionate number of (especially international) airline flight crews -- cockpit and cabin -- have been contracting and dying of cancers of various kinds -- all out of proportion to their number(s) in the general population. The Feds & airlines want it 'kept quiet' because of the astronomical potential liability. I've had many of my former flying mates die or contract cancer ... by their middle '60s.

Remember ... the long-haul jet stuff at altitude just started @ 45 +/- years ago with any great numbers of crew members involved ...

That's why I'm glad I don't fly greater than about 500 feet!

In all seriousness, that's pretty shitty. You would think they would try to shield the cockpits/canopies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It takes a LOT of shielding to block cosmic rays. Like several inches of dense material.

SkywardET

Contrarian
For anyone that thinks that the TSA groping you is fine--you are despicable. What happens when your little boy gets his wiener touched by the nice man with the blue gloves and bad breath? What about the labia of your daughter, your wife, and your mother? Oh, that's right, some people are even okay with that... I guess it's no surprise that if you have no respect for your parents' genitals that you don't support the 4th Amendment, among other things.

The TSA agents are not protecting America in any sense of the expression. Based upon the things I have read, I don't know how anyone can conclude that the TSA is anything but an organized and sanctioned criminal gang.

Let's not forget that both the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber never went through American airport security at all. They boarded planes in Europe and flew here. Do you really think that a 9/11-style hijacking will take place ever again? How many hijackings will be performed with boxcutters in the future? Zero, that's how many.

The TSA is just security theater, but it doesn't even meet the force protection step of presence because they are not in every airport that boards planes bound for America. This is not just a waste of money, it is a pernicious abuse of authority that has no meaningful successful track record.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
For anyone that thinks that the TSA groping you is fine--you are despicable. What happens when your little boy gets his wiener touched by the nice man with the blue gloves and bad breath? What about the labia of your daughter, your wife, and your mother? Oh, that's right, some people are even okay with that... I guess it's no surprise that if you have no respect for your parents' genitals that you don't support the 4th Amendment, among other things.

The TSA agents are not protecting America in any sense of the expression. Based upon the things I have read, I don't know how anyone can conclude that the TSA is anything but an organized and sanctioned criminal gang.

Let's not forget that both the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber never went through American airport security at all. They boarded planes in Europe and flew here. Do you really think that a 9/11-style hijacking will take place ever again? How many hijackings will be performed with boxcutters in the future? Zero, that's how many.

The TSA is just security theater, but it doesn't even meet the force protection step of presence because they are not in every airport that boards planes bound for America. This is not just a waste of money, it is a pernicious abuse of authority that has no meaningful successful track record.

First, to you and some others on this thread: get off your fucking high horse! I'm perfectly willing to discuss the effectiveness or lack thereof of current security measures. In those areas, I agree with many of the points made by those on both sides of the argument. However, I'm about done with the idea that if one doesn't fly into grand mal seizures of hysteria over these scans and pat downs that he is some sort of lesser human being, man, father, whatever.

Just because some uptight suburban housewife throws a hissy fit on her blog saying someone brushed against her vag doesn't make it true. If it did happen, it doesn't mean she was assaulted. One could say that if someone is so lacking in control of his emotions that such accounts anger him beyond reason, he shouldn't be put in any position of responsibility, such as in military service, but I won't, because that would be inflammatory and likely not accurate.

More to follow IRT the MERITS of the system. If we can't play nice here, this discussion is done.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
..."the TSA is an organized and sanctioned criminal gang..."

YGBFSM. Please take phrogdriver's comments to heart.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth, I don't think there's a TSA agent out there that wants a plane to blow up, or for anyone to die as a result of their negligence. Could they be better trained, educated, and led? Absolutely. Could they possibly have a better demeanor while performing their job? Again, absolutely.

We all know that going through airport security is an inconvenience, but lets be honest, security is a necessary evil of flying in a safe environment. Nobody is forcing you to fly (at least for leisure), you have a number of other transportation options that don't require you to pass through a pat down, metal detector, or body scanner. Whether we like it or not, air transportation is a prime target for those that want to inflict damage to American citizens.

I've had the opportunity to work with body scanners overseas, as they are used at some of the LSAs and COBs in Iraq. They're magnificent pieces of hardware that cause very little inconvenience, are very thorough, and are very easy for the end user to operate. I don't know about all of the long term heal effects, not that I'm terribly concerned as I don't fly commercially on a regular basis, but that is a concern worth investigating. Physical pat downs are nothing new, and have been used for decades to help reveal hidden items. It's not a foolproof method of searching, but it can be very effective. As I understand it, pat downs are optional, if you decline to go through the scanner/metal detector or you have a prosthetic

Really, people shouldn't get in an uproar over the modifications to airport security. Treat the TSA officials with the respect with which you wish to be treated. You may be surprised at how cordial some of the people can be. Some people are just going to be asshats, but for those that aren't, you can make your life, and theirs, a whole lot easier by not being a jackass when you go through the security checkpoints.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I do apologize for offering so much heat into this discussion.

I would like to discuss the specifics of the TSA's ineffective security theater. Let's first focus on the new full-body scanners:
1) Are they effective? That depends on what their objective is. There are only two possible objectives: stop threats or leave the impression that they stop threats. However, they are certainly worthless when it comes to stopping threats from boarding the plane.
http://www.consumertraveler.com/columns/tsa-full-body-scanners-are-a-bust/
(and numerous other sources)
ConsumerTraveler.com said:
The problem is these scanners can’t find items which have a low density, such as powder, many liquids or thin plastics. They can’t detect any object having the same or lower density than clothing.

They can’t detect explosives in the form of a fine powder like that used in the attempted bombing of Flight 253. Neither the backscatter x-ray or MMW scanner could have detected the “Panty Bomber’s” explosive in the airport.​

They can detect the classic plastic explosive, C4, in a densely molded form hidden under a passenger’s clothing.

They can’t detect a stick of C4 hidden in a body cavity, an illegal drug concealment method with a long history of use in the US.​

Full body scanners, costing up to $200K installed, are less able to detect explosives than an explosives sniffing dog, and no better than well trained security agents using a standard pat-down at finding weapons.

The only other objective is to make the flying public "feel safe." I won't call that an outright bullshit objective, but I will say that even if I were somehow willing to give up my 4th Amendment for some peace of mind, these devices would outright fail that requirement as well. I know that these full body scanners are worthless; I remember that both the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber boarded from flights in Europe because I am not a mindless sheeple.

The answer appears to be a resounding no. These devices are not effective at anything except perpetuating this overtly false and ineffective image of "doing something" for security. It's the equivalent to giving a trophy for "Most Potential" to the worst kid on the soccer team. "You're trying hard kiddo, here's your trophy/multi-million dollar contract."

I think the next topic should be on the effectiveness of the pat-downs. How effective are they? Would they have stopped any of the successful or attempted attacks of the past? If so, which ones would be stopped by a simple metal detector? Even if they are effective, are they worth giving your wife's clitoris a fly-by for whatever measure of effectiveness they provide? An inquiring and pissed-off public wants to know these and more...

Angels

Contributor
"Reusable sanitary napkin?" Honestly, whatever she got, she had it coming. Green freaks...:icon_tong
I personally don't use those but I have heard of them and wouldn't bash anyone who uses them to try and "save the planet". Your momma may have used a reusable diaper on your ass. :icon_wink Just sayin.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I personally don't use those but I have heard of them and wouldn't bash anyone who uses them to try and "save the planet". Your momma may have used a reusable diaper on your ass. :icon_wink Just sayin.

In 1973? Doubt it. The joys of disposability were just starting to be appreciated. But I'm not about to ask her now! Green freaks. Anything involving blood and/or feces should only be used once. It's a general principle that has served me well thus far....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Anything involving blood and/or feces should only be used once. It's a general principle that has served me well thus far....
Just out of curiosity, does this mean you throw away any underwear that get skid marks instead of just washing them??????? :confused: