• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying for AD pilot through OCS/OTS. USAF/USN AD pilot pros and cons?

UmYahYah

Hey everyone! I’ve got an app in as a civilian with both the USAF and USN to be an AD pilot and it looks like I’ve got a good shot at getting into both. Since I might have to decide between the two, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the current pros and cons that I've got in my head. I’d be honored to serve and fly in either branch. Thanks!
P.S. I’ve seen the Bob Norris letter.
USAF
-Pros

-Large number of well-maintained, fixed wing aircraft
-Nice base facilities
-Bases in interesting foreign countries
-Cons
-Could get stuck in a boring base location stateside
-Have heard that leadership seems to regard pilots as office workers instead of pilots.
-Training pipeline is severely clogged mostly due to COVID. Probably wouldn’t go to OTS until late spring 2021 at the earliest.
-Seems to be overly strict about trivial matters akin to a HOA president from hell who’s mad your grass is 2.25” instead of 2” and that you installed a scarlet backdoor instead of a crimson one.
-Have had issues with the recruiting process and know people who have also had issues. I know that problems with recruiting and bureaucracy are more of a feature than a bug in the military, but it’s still concerning especially when compared to my Navy experience so far.
USN
-Pros

-Lots of travel opportunities
-Great base locations in the U.S.
-Chance to fly off carriers
-Seem to be more opportunities to be a leader
-Seems to have the reputation of being less strict than the AF with operational procedures. If it works and isn’t overly dangerous or illegal, do it.
-Hard to describe, but seems more welcoming? Tighter community? Had a better and easier recruiting process than with the AF.
-Cons
-High chance of being stuck flying helos. I’m interested in fixed wing.
-Ship living could get old after a while
-Not as many types of aircraft to fly
-Might not get to explore ports of call all that much

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Setting aside all the different, and sometimes horrible, things that can happen between hitting “send” on your application and actually pinning on wings the best thing to keep in mind are your own words...”I’d be honored to serve and fly in either branch.” That would be best for now.

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone! I’ve got an app in as a civilian with both the USAF and USN to be an AD pilot and it looks like I’ve got a good shot at getting into both. Since I might have to decide between the two, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the current pros and cons that I've got in my head. I’d be honored to serve and fly in either branch. Thanks!
P.S. I’ve seen the Bob Norris letter.
USAF
-Pros

-Large number of well-maintained, fixed wing aircraft
-Nice base facilities
-Bases in interesting foreign countries
-Cons
-Could get stuck in a boring base location stateside
-Have heard that leadership seems to regard pilots as office workers instead of pilots.
-Training pipeline is severely clogged mostly due to COVID. Probably wouldn’t go to OTS until late spring 2021 at the earliest.
-Seems to be overly strict about trivial matters akin to a HOA president from hell who’s mad your grass is 2.25” instead of 2” and that you installed a scarlet backdoor instead of a crimson one.
-Have had issues with the recruiting process and know people who have also had issues. I know that problems with recruiting and bureaucracy are more of a feature than a bug in the military, but it’s still concerning especially when compared to my Navy experience so far.
USN
-Pros

-Lots of travel opportunities
-Great base locations in the U.S.
-Chance to fly off carriers
-Seem to be more opportunities to be a leader
-Seems to have the reputation of being less strict than the AF with operational procedures. If it works and isn’t overly dangerous or illegal, do it.
-Hard to describe, but seems more welcoming? Tighter community? Had a better and easier recruiting process than with the AF.
-Cons
-High chance of being stuck flying helos. I’m interested in fixed wing.
-Ship living could get old after a while
-Not as many types of aircraft to fly
-Might not get to explore ports of call all that much

Here are some things to thing about, are you interested in FW because you want to fly a "fighter" or are you looking to just fly any FW? if any FW then you are correct better chance at FW in the USAF, if you are looking at a "fighter" then you need to take into account that the USAF has around 1400 transport type aircraft and about 2100 "fighter" aircraft, and you have to remember that the transports have 2 pilots, by the numbers better chance of transport than "fighter"

The other thing to think about is how the USAF and USN view OCS/OTS is different, USN goes for an even split while USAF sees OTS as a fill in for empty spots.

When you deploy you may or may not see much of where you go, I have had friends who were in the USAF that deployed and stayed in the same camp for months. The same friends on another deployment stopped in many nice places. The same can be said for the USN so that should be a wash.

I have friends that have hated being on a ship and I have had USAF friends that would have preferred to be on a ship instead of a tent using port a potties.

Many of your cons and pros to those that have been there and done that, and the reverse can be said about your pros.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with everything that’s been said so far, and not to give you an air warriors standard answer, but have you searched around a bit on the site? There are definitely a few older threads with the same discussion.

With that being said, I think the short (and probably unsatisfying) answer to your post is: it depends.

Using your point about bases as an example: do you consider Lemoore, CA (one of the primary F-18 bases) as a great base location? Some of the nicer locations (San Diego and Jacksonville) are helos only, unless your no helo rule doesn’t extend to ospreys. Similarly, some USAF FW platforms have more than one US base (e.g. F-15Es).

Also, I wouldn’t use the recruiting process as an indicator of your future job satisfaction, because it’s such a small part of your experience and it’s very dependent on who you are working with.

Your point about direct leadership opportunities is valid. You will not have as many leadership opportunities in the AF until later in your career.

Honestly, you really can’t go wrong either way. You’ll have a great experience regardless of which branch you choose.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This is the gold standard:

The piece is written by Bob Norris, a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about U.S. Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off".

In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following:

22 December 2005

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies Navy OCS and USAF OTS. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black Shoes (surface warfare) and Bubble Heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a
lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore [Author's Note: It used to be in Olongapo :(].

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado Alabama.

Banzai

P.S.: Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

P.S.S. And oh yes, the Army pilot program, don't even think about it unless you got a pair bigger than basketballs. Those guys are completely crazy.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Ok, ok, I wasn’t going to say anything but @cfam and @AllAmerican75 kind of opened the door. The “stuck flying helos” thing. No one gets “stuck” flying helicopters, you are selected to fly them just as you are selected to fly anything. I get it, jets are “fast” but I imagine you will find flying along a tree-lined river at 50 feet doing 80 knots is pretty damn “fast.” In other words, don’t be dismissive of some platforms because they aren’t Hollywood cool.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Ok, ok, I wasn’t going to say anything but @cfam and @AllAmerican75 kind of opened the door. The “stuck flying helos” thing. No one gets “stuck” flying helicopters, you are selected to fly them just as you are selected to fly anything. I get it, jets are “fast” but I imagine you will find flying along a tree-lined river at 50 feet doing 80 knots is pretty damn “fast.” In other words, don’t be dismissive of some platforms because they aren’t Hollywood cool.

I never meant to malign you glorious whirlybird bubbas. Between beating the air into submission, eating all of the box lunches, and getting me my mail and ice cream on time, y'all are truly doing the Lord's work.

Though, if we're honest, the VP and COD dudes and dudettes are the ones really winning in Naval Aviation. Their schemes to maximize both days on the beach and per diem checks are truly unparalleled and the envy of all military personnel.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I never meant to malign you glorious whirlybird bubbas. Between beating the air into submission, eating all of the box lunches, and getting me my mail and ice cream on time, y'all are truly doing the Lord's work.

Though, if we're honest, the VP and COD dudes and dudettes are the ones really winning in Naval Aviation. Their schemes to maximize both days on the beach and per diem checks are truly unparalleled and the envy of all military personnel.
You didn’t at all! I was referring to the OP who noted “get stuck flying helos” as a CON in his post.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Pick which uniform looks cooler.

(Also, before you write-off helos as being a less fun career path, read this and this and this.)

Speaking of, does anybody have the FLIR video of a certain Navy helo crew doing some "people watching" along the beach? You don't get to do that in a jet. Also, I've had plenty of helo crews fly ashore to "grab parts" and come back with a box of parts and a couple pepperoni pizzas. Jet guys (except the new COD plopter bubbas) don't get to do that either.