• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Truman CQ Nov 2009

kejo

pilot
A bunch of us got to do low levels over the holiday from there. We were staging there since NJK was closed for vets day. Good times, although not a whole lot of time off to enjoy the sights. Were you out there with -106?

edit: saw your helos out across the ramp by the museum. Sadly didn't get to check that out :(

Yep that was me. We were supposed to be doing the Palm Springs Veterans Day parade flyover, but sadly could not because our wing disapproved it. Red tape is a bitch and if I get back into it I'll just get super pissed off again!

Anyway we wound up doing a static display right there at the museum, which turned out to be okay.

[edit]...and by turned out to be okay, since we wound up not flying on Wednesday, the 12 hours bottle/brief kind of went out the window Tuesday night...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yep that was me. We were supposed to be doing the Palm Springs Veterans Day parade flyover, but sadly could not because our wing disapproved it. Red tape is a bitch and if I get back into it I'll just get super pissed off again!

Anyway we wound up doing a static display right there at the museum, which turned out to be okay.

[edit]...and by turned out to be okay, since we wound up not flying on Wednesday, the 12 hours bottle/brief kind of went out the window Tuesday night...

That is a neat little museum with a lot of wandering vets to tell some stories. Visited it last time I went to see my parents in Palm Springs.

kejo

pilot
That is a neat little museum with a lot of wandering vets to tell some stories. Visited it last time I went to see my parents in Palm Springs.

Yeah, though it was disappointing we didn't get to fly, it was still worth the trip just to talk to those guys and hear some of the amazing stories they had.

The museum is pretty legit. Definitely worth checking out if you happen through PSP.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Yea.. Nothing like rolling into the groove and seeing like 50 people by the shack with cameras. My scan quickly went from meatball, lineup, aoa to meatball, photographers and then finished with just the photographers. Not my greatest pass. :D

UMichfly

pilot
None
Yea.. Nothing like rolling into the groove and seeing like 50 people by the shack with cameras. My scan quickly went from meatball, lineup, aoa to meatball, photographers and then finished with just the photographers. Not my greatest pass. :D

You've clearly never had one of the LSO's who likes to stand by the lens sans flight suit. Nothing trains you to focus solely on meatball, lineup, AOA like the possibility of being exposed to a bare ass if your scan wanders at all :crazy_125

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've clearly never had one of the LSO's who likes to stand by the lens sans flight suit. Nothing trains you to focus solely on meatball, lineup, AOA like the possibility of being exposed to a bare ass if your scan wanders at all :crazy_125

So how would you be that afraid if you hadn't looked?

lso_dave.jpg

Back when LSO really held the paddles so you had to look at him

Pags

N/A
pilot
So how would you be that afraid if you hadn't looked?

lso_dave.jpg

Back when LSO really held the paddles so you had to look at him

Not just any LSO, but then LT David McCampbell on board USS Wasp (CV-7).

A few short years and promotions later as CAG-15:

top_ace.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well maybe a few more and I'll get the hang of this carrier landing thing
BTW...WTF do you mean??

Hate to see a skipper call himself a moron when you can use the timetested excuse of being a deckspotter. ;)

At your ripe old age, the youngsters aren't to give much grief anyway...;)

Ahem, that's not you in your avatar, is it? ;)

stickygdm

pilot
Moron defined in the "...been-there-done-that...oh crap did it again when at this point I shouldn't" category. I'll try to redeem myself later this week!

"ripe old age" ?! now you're p-ss'ng me off!! Ain't no four in the beginning of my age...um, until sometime later this month.

Not me, was on the platform for it JO cruise on CV63 late in the 20th century. A little bit of the story is on my profile messages.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you know what they say. The ball is just a crutch for a poor deck spotter. :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Moron defined in the "...been-there-done-that...oh crap did it again when at this point I shouldn't" category. I'll try to redeem myself later this week!

"ripe old age" ?! now you're p-ss'ng me off!! Ain't no four in the beginning of my age...um, until sometime later this month.

Not me, was on the platform for it JO cruise on CV63 late in the 20th century. A little bit of the story is on my profile messages.

Good answers +1...don't worry about the fortysomething thing, it was the hardest for me and before I knew it, I was fifty something and that wasn't nearly as hard.