• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

True story??? A WWII airman shoots down a Japanese Zero with a 1911

KBayDog

I thought I heard all the good bizarro stories of WW2, but this one takes the cake.

"Takes the cake! 'You know, say, boy, he really takes the cake'. Where? Where do you take a cake? To the movies? You know where I would take a cake? Down to the bakery to see the other cakes."
-George Carlin

In any event, if it's true, bitchin' story!

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Love it. In whatever remaining time he had before he hit the ground I hope he was laughing his head off. There's not other appropriate reaction to doing that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For those in the know, is this a copyright violation? If I post the article but have the author's name and a link to the article, is that appropriate?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I believe it.

There are well-documented cases of guys using Webleys to shoot down Fokkers and similar during WWII (one thing Fly Boys got right).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For those in the know, is this a copyright violation? If I post the article but have the author's name and a link to the article, is that appropriate?

I think the issue is getting eyeballs to the actual site (which is paid for by online ads). I truncated your post just to cover Webmaster. If I was in error, I'm sure HJ will be by to correct me and we can put it back up.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

brownshoe

Contributor
Strange stuff does happen.

This was posted by A4s back in 2005 (Skyhawk tribute thread):

"THE FOLLOWING WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE SKYHAWK.ORG website:

On May 1, 1967, VA-76 "Spirit" A-4C Skyhawk, BuNo. 148609, side number NP-685, from USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31, was piloted by Lieutenant Commander Ted "T.R." Swartz. "T.R." was about to make an air-to-ground Zuni and 20mm strafing attack on North Vietnam's Kep Airfield, north of Hanoi.

As "T.R." began his roll-in to attack the target, his wingman alerted him to a pair of enemy MiG-17 Fresco fighters, moving in to attack at Swartz's 6 o'clock position. The intrepid Skyhawk driver wanted nothing to do with THAT game, so he aborted his target run and pulled his aircraft into a defensive high "G" barrel roll. The unexpected maneuver caused the attacking MiGs to over-shoot and Swartz slid into their 6 o'clock position. Swartz fired a salvo of ZUNI rockets was amazed to see one of his ZUNIs hit one of the MiGs, which disintegrated in a ball of flame.

SCRATCH ONE MIG!
T.R. Swartz retured safely to Bon Homme Richard that day, his action marking the first, and only, shoot-down of an enemy aircraft by a Skyhawk during the Vietnam War."

Steve

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say you're good to go under Fair Use Doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

See specifically: Fair Use under US Law and Fair Use on the Internet

Although that's not to say you may not have to go to court to prove it, but the EFF and Cory Doctorow will likely pay for your defense.

But it's not your call. It's the webmaster's and it has his policy posted. Fair Use applies to editorial reviews and most news/media sites will go after violators and include Terms of Use on their sites to state their case. In this instance, bottom of site says:

FieldandStream.com is part of the Bonnier Outdoor Group Network

Copyright © 2009 Bonnier Corp. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Here is the AW Copyright Policy put in force in 2007 after massive cleanup of past "transgressions". Safest COA is to link to article and put your own summary into words. Some forums and blogs are very lax on Copyright and don't get on radarscope of the Media sites that content gets cut and pasted from daily. But when a site is popular like AW and gets a lot of traffic, Media sites see use of their content without permission as lost revenue because viewers see it here and not on originator's site, which is all about garnering a lot of hits to set their ad rates and generate income. They will not hesitate to launch their lawyers against AW and the transgressor. Therefore, the Mod Team has to exercise due diligence to scrub the site for potential violations and edit same with dispatch. This gets even more important as more sophisticated Bots are developed that can chase down violations in microseconds. The point is avoiding the lawyers and having to defend your interpretation of Fair Use in court.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That's what I figured so it's good that you guys cleaned it up. Thank you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Certainly a unique kill but IMO not that unique. An attack jet shooting down a bad guy isn't that uncommon, relatively speaking from past wars. Granted as far as I know, the A-4 only has three confirmed air-to-air kills, an Isreali A-4 pilot shot down two Mig-17's which added to the Migs he had bagged flying a Mirage III. An Argentine A-4 could have had a Sea Harrier kill in the Falklands but his guns had jammed or were damaged. A more unique kill from Vietnam was the "unofficial" kill by an Army OV-1 Mohawk....one blasted a Mig-17 out of the sky in 1967.

Strange stuff does happen.

This was posted by A4s back in 2005 (Skyhawk tribute thread):

"THE FOLLOWING WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE SKYHAWK.ORG website:

On May 1, 1967, VA-76 "Spirit" A-4C Skyhawk, BuNo. 148609, side number NP-685, from USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31, was piloted by Lieutenant Commander Ted "T.R." Swartz. "T.R." was about to make an air-to-ground Zuni and 20mm strafing attack on North Vietnam's Kep Airfield, north of Hanoi.

As "T.R." began his roll-in to attack the target, his wingman alerted him to a pair of enemy MiG-17 Fresco fighters, moving in to attack at Swartz's 6 o'clock position. The intrepid Skyhawk driver wanted nothing to do with THAT game, so he aborted his target run and pulled his aircraft into a defensive high "G" barrel roll. The unexpected maneuver caused the attacking MiGs to over-shoot and Swartz slid into their 6 o'clock position. Swartz fired a salvo of ZUNI rockets was amazed to see one of his ZUNIs hit one of the MiGs, which disintegrated in a ball of flame.

SCRATCH ONE MIG!
T.R. Swartz retured safely to Bon Homme Richard that day, his action marking the first, and only, shoot-down of an enemy aircraft by a Skyhawk during the Vietnam War."

Steve