• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trouble at the Air Force Academy

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Clicky

Ok... it's the U.S. Air Force Academy... but the message is universal for those in basic training... be the "gray man" ... don't stand out.

The fellow in the middle of the sea of blue made the mistake of shooting off him mouth, and paid the price. You don't boast that you're going to be the first man on Mars and that the Academy will be a stepping stone to that goal without suffering the consequences.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
These freshman/first year indoc type things are pretty funny. You hear some unusual things come out of people's mouths. By time I was a 1/C though, we had to tone it down a lot because parents were calling the Admiral above our unit's CO and complaining.

I remember one time a new freshman said that his brother was an Ensign and tried to use that as leverage for his credibility on something he said.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Wow how arrogant to say you'll be the first man on Mars and how stupid. Does this guy realize the odds?

Does it matter the odds? Someone's going to be first. Who says it won't be this kid? If he has the determination and the dedication to make it through it just may be his lucky day.

Still, there are some things you don't tell other people just because they'll make you're life a living hell. We humans love watching others fail versus helping them succeed.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
So the kid has a dream, let him dream. I hope he ends up being the first guy on Mars some day.

And by the way, those Air Force guys wearing those faggoty ass white gloves that don't match the uniform look pretty scary, don't they?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the kid has a dream, let him dream. I hope he ends up being the first guy on Mars some day.

And by the way, those Air Force guys wearing those faggoty ass white gloves that don't match the uniform look pretty scary, don't they?

You have to crush enthusiasm like that - immediately! We had a guy just like that in my last squadron - telling people he was going to mars and what not. These people with their boyhood astronaut fantasies. :rolleyes: I've got an idea, how about you focus on not fucking up the case I pattern before we start mission planning for your big trip to the red planet, OK Captain Kirk? :D

Brett

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
They should throw said kids out because of their parents. FAIL.

It happens ALL the time. Talk about weak parenting. If I called my dad and told him that it was too hard and I was getting yelled at and that I wanted him to call the CO, he would tell me to sack up and hang up the phone.

FlyinRock

When I was in boot at MCRD SDiego back in the day, my old man came to visit about my 6th week. He was a senior MSGT USMC with about 10 years in grade at the time. I didn't find out till years later that he told my senior DI to lean on me everyday. Hell I even had a black eye when I graduated! Early 50's. My how things have changed.......
Semper Fi
Rocky

jtmedli

pilot
You have to crush enthusiasm like that - immediately! We had a guy just like that in my last squadron - telling people he was going to mars and what not. These people with their boyhood astronaut fantasies. :rolleyes: I've got an idea, how about you focus on not fucking up the case I pattern before we start mission planning for your big trip to the red planet, OK Captain Kirk? :D

Brett

Hahaha my thoughts exactly. Some of these kids kill me these days. I listen to this same caliber of horseshit from some of the kids I work with.

So a B52 shot down an Enemy MIG huh?
EDIT: http://news.cnet.com/2300-13576_3-10001122-2.html?tag=mncol

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Does it matter the odds? Someone's going to be first. Who says it won't be this kid?

I do. It's going to be me, either to strip mine it or as a dead cryogenic popsicle. In either case, NASA will not be involved.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I knew an AF guy in primary who, when asked what he wanted to fly, would casually reply, "The Space Shuttle". He got a few looks but most people thought it was funny.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Well...I have to think that the majority of astronauts were pretty arrogant at some level...and at least he didn't say anything about hoping to be the best missile silo commander or admin guy EVER.

And now that it's been...oh...about 20 years since my I-day, I still get a kick out of the idea of a bunch of 20 YO upperclassmen who have all done collectively nothing in their military career so far screaming at a bunch of 18 YO plebes/basic cadets who can't even find the USAFA dining hall yet.

Someone should really ORM this sort of stuff...:icon_tong