• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trigonometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas1029

In the Cliff's guides, on the mechanical section of the practice tests, some of the questions have sin and cosine in them. So does that mean we are allowed a calculator for the test, or should I memorize how to do sin and cos without one?

Also, on these guides there is a few physics problems that require knowing equations of kinematics and gravity and kinetic energy. Any insight to if these kind of questions are actually on the test?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you gone to your local library and picked up an ASTB study guide to practice? I'm sure there's practice tests in it that will give you a good idea to the questions you are asking.

nugget81

pilot
There was no sin or cos on the version I took. Mostly college level algebra with some triangular equations (area, pythagorean theorem). For the physics stuff: I saw spring tensions, pulleys, hydraulic systems, and one question about a cable tension shift when one cable snapped. As for physics equations, there were not any advanced level questions on the test.

T-man

I don't remember if there was any trig on the test I took, I think there may have been, but don't take my word for it. That said, you are not allowed to use a calculator. If you don't already know it, here is an easy way to remember:

SOHCAHTOA (pronounced soak-a-toe-a)

S-in equals
O-posite over
H-ypotenuse(sp?)
C-osine equals
A-djacent over
H-ypotenuse(sp?)
T-angent equals
O-posite over
A-djacent

sohcahtoa in equation form:
sin = op/hyp
cos = adj/hyp
tan = op/adj = cos/sin

Hope that helps.

Jas1029

T-man said:
I don't remember if there was any trig on the test I took, I think there may have been, but don't take my word for it. That said, you are not allowed to use a calculator. If you don't already know it, here is an easy way to remember:

SOHCAHTOA (pronounced soak-a-toe-a)

S-in equals
O-posite over
H-ypotenuse(sp?)
C-osine equals
A-djacent over
H-ypotenuse(sp?)
T-angent equals
O-posite over
A-djacent

sohcahtoa in equation form:
sin = op/hyp
cos = adj/hyp
tan = op/adj = cos/sin

Hope that helps.

I meant knowing the SIN and COSINE of an angle, like sin(43 degrees). Also I saw a question in the Cliff's guide that involved taking the inverse cosine of something. How do I do THAT without a calculator?

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
The trig that you have to know for the test is a^2+b^2=c^2, area of triangles, area/diameter of circles, and supplementry/complementry angles. That is the type of "trig" that you have to know. Sin and Cos type stuff was NOT on the test.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
On my test I had one question that had to do with SOHCAHTOA. You only needed to know what SOHCAHTOA meant, and you were golden. There isn't going to be anything you'll need a calculator for, since you're not allowed to use one.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Don't worry about converting degrees to radians and such. Those questions don't show up on the ASTB.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I would start panicking immediately. Don't know the sin of 43? You're going to be really screwed if you don't have the integral tables down cold for the calculus section...

Jas1029

TurnandBurn55 said:
I would start panicking immediately. Don't know the sin of 43? You're going to be really screwed if you don't have the integral tables down cold for the calculus section...

LOL. Maybe I should have sold my Advanced Engineering Mathematics text after all...

titoj

Future former Wall Street-er
Let me preface this by saying I have no knowledge of the ASTB first-hand.

Just knowing the shapes of the sine and cosine curve will answer your questions about specific values. (e.g. the sine curve starts at 0, at 90 degrees it's 1, and so on.) The inverse sine is just the same - sin^-1(0) is 0, 180, 360, ...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crap no. I'm an Electrical Engineering graduate and I couldn't tell you the sine of 43 degrees without knowing the sides of the triangle. That's why man created calculators. I can do 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees though. Those everyone shoudl have memorized :)

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Well fly, I am a EE guy and I don't think I could even do that. I guess I am behind the curve as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.