• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Treatment of NFOs in the fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmac12

As for being a nerd, don't worry, there are plenty of pilots that are nerds too. As for the helo guys, take what they say with a grain of salt like previously mentioned. They have never flown with an NFO, unless they are T-34 or 6 instructors in Pensacola, and that doesn't really count. We ran into a helo guy (navy) who got lippy and talked about how dumb we were for sitting in the back and letting someone fly us around and pull g's on us. We asked him how he liked delivering our mail for us. Everyone has a job to do. NFO is a great one. Good luck.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are we opening the pilot vs NFO can of worms thing again????
What a waste of time.

"Can't we all just get along?"

r/
G

rodney_king.jpg

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
kmac said:
Or from pilots who just know too many NFO's ;) . Really though, if you've got that techie nerd quality, it sounds like you'd be great thrown back into the tube of an E2C. And by the way, nice line there: "don't want to go into this blindly" coming from a future NFO!

I don't think the Marines fly E-2s ;)

Beeps and squeeks in Prowler-land would work well for techie geeks, I think...

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I've never flown with an NFO. I get enough grief from an IP in the back seat.

You will always hear a lot of jokes about NFOs from pilots and a lot of jokes about pilots from NFOs, but there's no real deep dislike for each other. It's kind of like grunts making fun of AAV guys or combat engineers making fun of arty guys and vice versa. It's part of the job.

My theory (especially in the Marine Corps) is that if people aren't making fun of you then they don't really like you. It's that kind of sarcastic humor that makes this job so great. Hell, I fly with a bunch of nasty squid a$$-clowns and we all get along. ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
handjive said:
My theory (especially in the Marine Corps) is that if people aren't making fun of you then they don't really like you. It's that kind of sarcastic humor that makes this job so great. Hell, I fly with a bunch of nasty squid a$$-clowns and we all get along. ;)

I think that's a good theory. Professional respect and a knowledge that the other guy is just as important as you leads to poking and proding of jokes.

Kolja

Git-r-done
TurnandBurn55 said:
I don't think the Marines fly E-2s ;)

Beeps and squeeks in Prowler-land would work well for techie geeks, I think...

shhh - there might be reprocussions if anyone finds out I got this far without knowing a beep from a squeak!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
kmac said:
Or from pilots who just know too many NFO's ;) . Really though, if you've got that techie nerd quality, it sounds like you'd be great thrown back into the tube of an E2C.

That's it...extra laps around the track for you during the next HCA. Oh and by the way, we'll eat your saved late chow too. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
shhh - there might be reprocussions if anyone finds out I got this far without knowing a beep from a squeak!
Alright, that's it! Turn in your patch! ;)

Brett

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I know a retired tomcat driver and he told me no RIO he ever had was worth the 180 lbs of fuel he could have had in his place!

ProwlerPilot

pilot
You have to understand, it all boils down to how well you do your job. There are NFO's out there that I would replace with 180 lbs of gas in a second!!! However, there are others out there that I love having with me on a dark night behind the boat. You are going to get some resistance from pilots always because you are taking some of the job that they used to do (ie talk on the radio, read the approach plate, etc) and not doing it as well as they want. Not because you aren't good, but because no one can read the mind of another and figure out what they want instantly. There are plenty of time that I just want to talk on the radios, so we don't have to play the telephone game to ATC, but that's their job. At the same time I have no idea what kind of geekdom goes on in the back seat, but I know it keeps 18 drivers safe, and anyone else going into harms way. Be good at what you do, and you will be treated equal.

ps Pilots are cooler though!!! :D

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
That's it...extra laps around the track for you during the next HCA. Oh and by the way, we'll eat your saved late chow too. :D

Ha ha well hopefully we would never treat you guys the same way as poor marshall; we would probably say "negative, unable" and proceed to the ship. I know it's not right, just what we've been doing when given a marshall radial 180 degrees from where we're coming from... we much prefer RV, we're lazy. ;) Well I'd like to think that, but truth be told the Cod ain't the fastest bird out there, and holding in marshall with DV's ain't the most fun thing to do. Last time I had to do that I had pukin' media on the ball. The aircrew spent the next cycle cleaning that mess up.

And in regards to late chow, what's that? It's always served nice and hot the exact same way everyone else gets it. We don't get a special "late chow." But then again, when it's late (and dark) outside you can find me on the beach eating Johnny Carino's and having a drink. Cheers!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
NFO's are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Some are great, just like some pilots. Some really, really, really suck, just like some pilots.

NFO's have one other great use (other than, you know, Naving, finding subs, etc), if you take the thickness of their glasses and measure it against the thickness of the ice on your wing, and that thickness is equal to or greater on the wing, you know when you need to activate wing deice.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
PropStop said:
NFO's have one other great use (other than, you know, Naving, finding subs, etc), if you take the thickness of their glasses and measure it against the thickness of the ice on your wing, and that thickness is equal to or greater on the wing, you know when you need to activate wing deice.

Nice :icon_mi_1

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you go NFO...watch out for the below average pilots, you'll die a split second after them...

r/
G

Status
Not open for further replies.