• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel Abroad.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Wow did this thread get interesting overnight (+5.5 from GMT here in Bangalore).

Re; original topic: most trips have IDF soldiers traveling with out (out of uniform) for a few days.

But I agree that you should def find an older group. I went with my college and had just turned 22. Most of the kids on my trip were 18 or 19 and more focused on the fact that they could drink legally than the fact that we were in Israel.

Also: FL(-1), NYC (+2) LI (-2)

Carry on...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I'm considering going on Birthright to Israel next summer, but a big part of me wants to take an extra day or two and explore a little bit of the West Bank, or Gaza (I don't trust the media anymore and I want to see what the real deal is over there). Anyway, I would have commissioned by then, and I'm wondering what possible complications there would be with the Navy. Has anyone here ever done or heard of someone doing anything like this before? Would it be a good idea to push off commissioning for this, I can do that easily according to my advisor by pushing one of my classes to the summer.

Don't go to Gaza, period. Don't even consider it. I am not certain you could even get in, since the legal entry and exit points are controlled by either the IDF or Egypt and they ain't letting much in or out. So unless you want to go in by tunnel with a goat and case of ammo bound for Hamas I would not go into Gaza even if it is legal, you would be nothing by a target of opportunity to be made example of. My guess is that your command/big Navy wouldn't let you go there either, I wouldn't if I were them.

Something else you will want to do, if you do decide to go on any side trips make sure the Embassy knows were you are.

On a practical matter, I would travel before you get commissioned. You will have free time beforehand, and while you might after commissioning it will be a lot more uncertain when or where you will get it. You will get a funny look and a quick denial if you ask to delay starting ___ school for a week or two while you hang out in the Holy Land.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I tried to avoid the stamp in my civvie passport by using my official one (it was a battlefield study, so semi-official), but be advised that if you use your official (reddish) passport you'll need a visa, but not with the blue one. I sweet talked my way past a hot chick with a machine gun. Not the worst move ever.

I'd say if anyone has a chance to go to Isreal do it, Tel Aviv is a great night out, and Jerusalem is amazing, seeing that made me feel like I'd soaked up some culture, and not feel guilty about boozing it so much in Tel Aviv.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Birthright is a good program, many of my friends have done it and anyone who can should do so if they get the opportunity. However, it is a very Israeli-Jew oriented affair so if you want a more, uh, balanced view and experience, I would go out on your own. Go see the country by yourself or with one traveling companion. Israel is a relatively safe country.

I was in Israel in the summer of 2006. Needless to say my trip was very interesting and I have some interesting photos and souvenirs from the experience. I crossed into Israel on foot from the Sinai at the Elat crossing. Hopped a plane to Tel Aviv. My buddy and I rented a car and drove around the entire country. Since tourism was down at that time, many people were grateful for my business. I met many interesting locals, Jews, Palestinians, Druze, and Bedouins. Lots of traveler/pilgrims too. Swan in the Dead Sea and climbed Masada. I took a train to Haifa and hung out with some IDF guys at the Lebanese border. The Bahai Shrine is awesome too.

I spent a week in Jerusalem (best part of the trip). Stayed in a guest house in the Old City. Wild times. Learned a lot. I applied for permission to enter the Temple Mount and received it on the fifth day. Couldn't enter the Dome of the Rock (al-Asqa Mosque but that's ok, I got close enough). Absolutely loved exploring the Old City and all the different quarters. Had a lively discussion with some Palestinians in a cafe in the Muslim quarter.

West Bank was cool. Very different and interesting. The border crossing was a bitch though. But I made it to Bethlehem. Many of the Palestinians are Christians and are happy to help you out even though I did get in a shouting match with a cab driver when he tried to rip me off. Try and take a day trip or two to Jordan and see Petra. Greatest regret of my trip, not going.

Avoid Gaza like the Mexican flu. It is not worth it. I almost went back in 2006 but would definitely not go now. Way too dangerous and extremely foolish.

Oh yeah. Israeli girls are HOT HOT HOT! Yi yi yi! Wowza!

Israeli food is awesome (not disgusting Ashkenazi food), best hummous, shwarma etc. If you like coffee you will get addicted to that ice coffee slushee thing they have there.

Ben Gurion has free wireless by the way. Great way to kill the 3-4 hours you'll have while there.

Prepare to go through security wherever you go. All malls, buildings have security/bag check, metal detectors. At least they are consistent. EVERYONE is checked. Don't take it personal.

Many people speak English although I found French to be more useful. Hebrew is always good of course and Arabic is also handy here and there, although the Arabic spoken there is different form what I learned (Egyptian) which resulted in some strange looks from time to time. I got by with that strange mix of English, French, Hebrew and Arabic.

Getting around is easy. I took planes, trains, buses, and even a subway in Haifa. I tried to avoid cabs whenever possible. They always cheat you. I even rented a car. Driving in Israel is fairly easy although parking in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv can be a hassle.

Anyways, good luck and have fun man. Take lots of pics. If you want any info or advice, feel free to PM me.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
+1 on mentioning growing out your hair. Two of my buddies in the Marines went on (separate) Birthright trips over the winter. They both grew out their hair.

One of them was on my trip (classmate of mine), just commissioned. Wore USMC stuff EVERYWHERE, even wore his dog tags into the Dead Sea (I asked him if he thought he was going to slip on the deck and die and nobody would be able to recognize him). This, obviously, it not advisable.

I'm still a bit wary about the Gaza idea, but you can rent a motorcycle and go over and explore Jordan, which is what one of my USMC friends did. If you're still intent on visiting Gaza, and you get permission to visit, just say you're a student.

I grew out my hair too. Hahaha. Somehow, not the same.
n1614060004_86354_399.jpg

That's the Syrian border. A heads up if you do intend on ever visiting Syria, you will need a second passport issued that does not have an Israel stamp in it.

Have fun! Drink Goldstar, but stay FAR FAR away from Alaska (you'll know what I'm talking about). Even if you don't get to go to Gaza, extend your trip. They pack a lot into those ten days, and I left wanting to come back and spend another six months. You only get to (obv) see the Jewish stuff, so hopefully you can get some time to see the Christian and Muslim sites, as well as actually hang out in Tel Aviv.
Goldstar? How about Macabeus or Hebrew?

Wait, which "Alaska" are you talking about?

Tel Aviv is nice, especially down by the waterfront near the US Embassy. Lots of bars, restaurants, clubs. The waterfront, beach area is also a great place to see F-16s and helos go on missions.

As far as dress, use common sense. I wore khaki pants, sensible shoes, and a collared short sleeve shirt tucked in with no emblems or writing. I also grew out my beard though it was trimmed and shaved in Cairo in the Egyptian style. Dressing neatly and conservatively is also respectful and the proper decorum due to all the religious sites and museums you may visit.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
By Alaska, I mean the vodka. Macabeus is good, but I still prefer goldstar. HeBrew has always left me disappointed, though the packaging is hilarious.

Def bring conservative clothing. If you're visiting religious sites, shoulders, knees, and heads need to be covered. Most places will provide you with a head covering but the rest is up to you. Jeans and a polo shirt are a good bet.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Hey...even us goyim likes us some JDate. Jewish girls...mmm...

Oh, yeah; the Israeli stamp in your passport is a big issue in some countries (should be fairly obvious which ones). We had a guy who had been to Israel on a church trip in college. A big stink was raised when, years later, he went into Saudi for an exercise. The Customs guys wanted to confiscate his passport; only timely intervention by the Attache kept it from turning into a Thing. And this kid couldn't have looked less Jeiwsh if he tried.

My skipper said if you ever goto Israel get a new passport before you try to go into any of the gulf countries.

I hope that Israeli Visa people are better than Kuwaiti ones. Two hours wasted trying to get a visa with 100 people in front of you. Hated the sign they had "service is optional"