• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transferring to a different college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alephone

If a MIDN 4/c scholarship, decides that he dislikes the college that he is currently attending, is it possible to transfer to a different college and NROTC Unit, and keep the scholarship? Thanks.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
yes it is, not sure of the process though. Talk to your NROTC recruiting officer about it. Just be tactful with how you tell him that you do not like it there.

Dickwest83

Yes, it is possible. I am speaking from experience because I just recently transferred. I think my situation was even more complicated....I was a College Programmer that had won a 3 yr Scholarship, but I still managed to get it transferred and activated at my new school. The process starts with your advisor. You'll have to write up a statement explaining exactly why you want to transfer. I know one of the NAM chapters covers this. This letter is then forwarded to the CO of your current unit. If he approves the transfer, it will be forwarded to the CO of the unit you want to transfer to. If it is once again approved, it will go to CNET for final approval. And if they give it their ok, you're good to go. Bear in mind that this is quite a lengthy process. I first submitted my request in May after school ended and didn't get the final word until early August. One word of advice though, do some thorough soul-searching and really make sure you want to transfer. From experience, I can tell you that it's harder than you'd think to just pick-up and leave, only to start over at a new school.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dickwest is right. It's a really long process and really ask yourself have you been there long enough to make a decision on whether you like it or not. I HATED my college for the first couple of months and then once I got settled in with my friends and stuff, I REALLY grew to like it. By the time I graduated, there are only a few other school I could have seen myself at. If you want to transfer, do it. But make sure you really want to. Also, do some quiet research on the ROTC unit you will be going to. Some are better than others. Just some advice...

Dickwest83

Alex- For the most part I liked GW. However, I had a bad semester in the spring and left for summer on a pissy note. Now I'm at Tulane. It's good to be here, but I really miss alot about GW.

Alex Fowler

Damn, you've now been at 2 of the units I listed in my top 3 when I applied (GW was my #1 choice when I first submitted my package, with UVa #2 and Tulane #3, but I got deferred from Georgetown and got into BC so I called the Navy and put Boston U. at #1).

How's Tulane? It was awesome when I visited there, in fact I would've gone there if I hadn't gotten into BC--and had a few thoughts about transferring down to Nawlins during January and February when it was -10 windchill every single day!

I hear ya about having a bad spring semester...I got bad grades (well, more accurately, a bad grade, which brought down my entire GPA) and capped it off by tearing a ligament in my hip and not being able to go to CORTRAMID. Hope you're having fun down there, tho (I'm thinking about going down for Mardi Gras, probably won't tho since it's the week before BC's spring break--maybe next year).

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
All I've heard about transfering is that you'd better have a DAMN good reason to transfer that scholarship. For example, you might end up costing the Navy a lot of money if you transfer to a more expensive school and make the Navy pay for it.

Dickwest83

Alex- Tulane definitely ain't bad. It's been a little rough transferring though. I guess you never realize how much friends mean till you leave them all. I haven't hit the social seen that hard yet, aside from a few trips down to the Quarter. My bad semester involved a busted ROTC party where a buddy of mine got charged w/ 3 counts of assaulting a police officer....bad news. The Unit here isn't quite what I was expecting. GW had a top-notch program going, and I gotta say, it just doesn't quite compare here.

Viv, yeah, you're pretty much right. But I don't even think it'll be considered if you try to transfer to a more expensive college. However, they may be more accomodating if you want to switch from a 30k+ private school to a state university.

Alephone

NAM 5.3 b states:

"CNET will generally approve the request for transfer for those cases which are motivated by reason of unusual personal hardship or the impossibility of obtaining courses required for certain degrees that are of interest to the Navy provided both PNS' favorably endorse the request. CNET will view unfavorably those requests for transfer when it is determined they are motivated by reason of personal convenience or desires."

my transfer is not "motivated by reason of unusual personal hardship or the impossibility of obtaining courses required for certain degrees that are of interest to the Navy" so does this basically mean that my chances to transfer are slim?

Patrick Daly

Alephone,

If you want to transfer to a more expensive school, you better have a damn good reason, if you're going to a less expensive one they'll authorize it without even thinking twice about it. I just transferred from U. San Diego to Boston U. which was about a 5,000$ per year increase. I think the only reason they gave it to me is because I wanted to run track at BU and couldn't at SD, and I told them it would allow me to run for the Marine Corps after graduation. My advisor at SD told me there was a 100% chance they wouldn't authorize it but I went for it anyways and it worked. So if you have a legit reason then definitely go for it, I know it was the best move I've ever made, I love Beantown. Good Luck.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.