• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to another community (ie Rotary to Strike) after first assignment

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I know some folks who can hook him up. I got his IP address, email, name, home address, and telephone number. I'm pretty sure I can make the SWO thing a reality. They do have gas turbines on ships...:)
LM2500s if I remember correctly . . . gosh that's an old memory coming back . . .

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our sister squadron had both a former S-3 driver and SH-2 driver. Former went on to command a Tomcat squadron. Latter was really out of place (broke right first time at boat...old habits hard to break, on Det at Key West, stayed in room and ate noodles because he was saving up his per diem to buy new tires, went into overhead pattern over HMS Illustrious thinking it was mother).

m26

Contributor
Sounds like that would be hilarious, heyjoe, if it wasn't simultaneously terrifying.

MasterBates

I have occasionally terrified LSOs with a bootful of left rudder with a huge anti-burble power addition..

(for the directionally impared, helos need left pedal with power, and most airplanes need right)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have occasionally terrified LSOs with a bootful of left rudder with a huge anti-burble power addition..

(for the directionally impared, helos need left pedal with power, and most airplanes need right)

Yes, but how many times have you been 'in the bucket' on one pass .... in/out .... in/out .... 'should I WAVE HIM OFF (??) .... in/out ... in/out .... :D

- NEPAW SIM LOSLOAR OCCO BIW LUCKY 4

We would have 'occasionally' terrified each other, yea-as ??? :)

Lawman

None

I did a "Forward Slip" in a 67 during the instrument phase when they gave me 2 miles to go from 6000 to 1800.

Lawman

None
Wouldn't that also be known as an "autorotation"? :)

No you typically try to keep your decent rate below 2500 feet per minute when you do an auto. This was more a "how can I get this thing down as fast as possible without overspeeding the rotor and having it seperate from the mast."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I did a "Forward Slip" in a 67 during the instrument phase when they gave me 2 miles to go from 6000 to 1800.

What's the big deal? Flight idle, gear down...psh. Weak. I thought helos could just go straight up and down...they sound less and less useful everyday. :)

Lawman

None
What's the big deal? Flight idle, gear down...psh. Weak. I thought helos could just go straight up and down...they sound less and less useful everyday. :)

Oh they can go straight down alright... the key is for the aircraft and the rotor to arrive at the same time intact.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Can anyone else "talk story" about it?

Current XO of VT-31 went S-3s -> E-6s

A fair amount of A-6 and S-3 guys showed up in E-6s back in my day. He is the only one I know of that made command...I could be wrong though.