• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnafury

I've already sent in all my application, and done all the stuff I needed to do (doing the B and G interview this Sunday). I know for sure that I want to go to USNA, but I also want to play soccer, and I don't know if I'm up to their playing abilility (I haven't been able to see them play). If I were to withdraw my application and play 1 year of Division I soccer and then reapply, would it be harder for me to get in? I would also do PLC at the same time. I know it's kind of complicated, but I think that if I did it, not only would I be more advanced soccer-wise, but I might be able to validate more courses. Thoughts on this?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doubtful that anyone here is going to be able to answer that. You're going to need to weigh what your priorities are. You may want to see if you'll be able to play soccer at the academy. Call the coach, talk to him. Or you may want to hold off on your app and play soccer elsewhere. If this is your only shot at playing soccer, I'd make sure you make the best of the opportunity. You don't want to look back in 10 years and regret blowing an opportunity you had. If your goal is to get a commission, there are many ways to do it besides going to the Academy. Personally, I'm glad I had the real college experience. That was some of the best times of my life.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I don't think going to a civilian school for a year will make it harder for you to get in, but having a year of college under your belt will undoubtably benefit you. If you do play soccer somewhere else and then apply, you will have given up a year of NCAA eligibility.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
smittyrunr said:
If you do play soccer somewhere else and then apply, you will have given up a year of NCAA eligibility.

Not to mention that you won't be able to play soccer your first year at the academy because NCAA rules require you to sit out a year when transferring between schools of the same Division. You have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility (which is why guys can "redshirt" and then play 4 years). The clock starts ticking as soon as you attend your first college class.

http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/ncaa/NCAA/common/index.html

SgtofMarines

I attended the Academy in the Class of '03. I had to leave because my sister was paralyzed in a car accident and I had to go home to care for her. I knew several people who played soccer as an intramural sport and made it on the team. They're really not that good. I was on the basketball team and never played basketball in my life...I hate the sport, but was forced to play it. Needless to say, I was benched most of the time. Anyway, don't worry about it, if you want to play, you will.

Integer1

Banned
For some reason I think you get 5 years of NCAA eligibility, but the rules are relatively complex--which is why each school has people paid to know nothing else besides answers to such eligibility queestions! So, call the college.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Integer1 said:
For some reason I think you get 5 years of NCAA eligibility, but the rules are relatively complex--which is why each school has people paid to know nothing else besides answers to such eligibility queestions! So, call the college.

Nope, like I stated above, you have 5 years to use your 4 years of eligibility. Nothing complex about it. That's why most football players redshirt their first year, so they can get bigger and stronger, and then play for 4 years.

Integer1

Banned
Thisguy said:
Nope, like I stated above, you have 5 years to use your 4 years of eligibility. Nothing complex about it. That's why most football players redshirt their first year, so they can get bigger and stronger, and then play for 4 years.
What's your point? By the end of every two months, I drive so many miles to college that it's more than the distance between NY and Los Angeles--which matters just as much as repeating what you said. The single intention of my post was to encourage usnafury to dial the USNA.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Integer1 said:

My point is I clearly stated the eligibility guidelines, then I have a pre-appointee come in and make a FALSE statement, which is a good example of all the bad gouge spread on this site. Schools don't have people that know nothing else but eligibility guidelines, the best people to ask would be the coaching staff, because they do the recruiting, so they better damn well know the eligibility guidelines. If you wanted to encourage usnafury to call USNA, you should have said so. Don't spew a bunch of garbage that makes you look like a Pre-appointee.

Integer1

Banned
Go away politician

The people can clearly read the posts and see that I did help USNAFury and that my information is correct. Stop the libel. Name one school that does NOT have at least one person who does recruiting and someone they can fire instantly in case the football team has to forfeit all of their games half-way through the season? Exactly. You can't. But now you're giving the same advice I gave Fury -- to call the USNA -- which is good advice.

Schools don't have people that know nothing else but eligibility guidelines, the best people to ask would be the coach staff, because they do the recruiting, so they better damn well know the eligibility guidelines.

And who do you think these "staff" people are? Well, they're actually "AD administration" with large responsibilities like getting paid $130,000/yr to do nothing else than get the NCAA rules right for every athlete.

usnafury, I'm not going to say anything new, but I would recommend that you speak to the soccer coach at USNA. I'm sure that if you're persistent he will talk to you and that's the only advice I'd trust.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You're not worth my time

Integer1 said:
The people can clearly read the posts and see that I did help USNAFury and that my information is correct. Stop the libel. Name one school that does NOT have at least one person who does recruiting and someone they can fire instantly in case the football team has to forfeit all of their games half-way through the season? Exactly. You can't. But now you're giving the same advice I gave Fury -- to call the USNA -- which is good advice.

And who do you think these "staff" people are? Well, they're actually "AD administration" with large responsibilities like getting paid $130,000/yr to do nothing else than get the NCAA rules right for every athlete.

Good luck getting into the Navy

usnafury

Guys, I appreciate all the help. I talked to the coaches, and they said they wouldn't advise it. They said it was much harder getting in if you reapply.

I would assume so. Usnafury, I also wouldn't advise telling your BGO that you considered withdrawing your app for soccer. I can't imagine him taking that well, in any circumstance. Just my .o2 cents though.

Integer1

Banned
Thisguy said:
You're not worth my time

Well none of my posts argued or said that you were wrong, so I don't know why you started replying to mine in the first place. In fact my posts agreed with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.