• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training Subordinates

Lord Doog

As I understand it, officers are in charge of training their platoon, company, etc. But I am a little confused as to how an aviators does this.
-Do aviators conduct training in the same manner as a ground officer?
-Do aviators even have enlisted troops to train?
-If you do train enlisted troops, are you the one who creates the training regimen or do you just carry out the regimen that someone else created?

Thanks

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You're going to have to define training a bit more if you want a truly good response.

If you're referring to running through the woods, yelling, "Butter, butter, jam," then I think you'll be sorely disappointed. If youre referring to giving the occasional class, mentoring people, and holding them accountable for getting teir annul, semi-annual, and predeployment training done, then youre probably closer to the mark.

As a (non-aviator) Company Commander in the Wing, I was required to create, submit, occasionally justify, and carry out my own training schedule on a weekly basis, but a MASS* is definitely not the typical aviation type unit in the Marine Corps. And even though I was able--and felt a need-- to do some additional ranges, etc, the absolute main effort was MOS proficiency for me. Most of my guys and gals could either remember, or fake the funk on convoy skills and weapons-Fu, but I absolutely could not take LCpl Binatz, fresh from MOS school, and put him in charge of running a DASC. Ditto for the FNG Lieutenants that worked for me. MOS proficiency was equally important during my enlisted days as a maintainer, which should really go without saying. Would you want some guy working on your aircraft that may or may not have swapped out that black box before...or was SIQ that day in MOS training?

I think one of the traps that young Lieutenants tended to fall into in DASC world was that they tried to go all Provisional Rifle Platoon Commander when they were put in charge of totally unrelated shit. There's a time and a place for that, sure, but if planes aren't flying or the TRP (if they still use that anymore) is too low, then you're ass is going to be in the hurt locker way sooner than if they can't set up an ambush with flanking enfilading fire, supported by mortars and SMAWS.

MASS -- Marine Air Support Squadron
DASC -- Direct Air Support Center

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I'm lucky enough to work in the maintenance department as my ground job. OIC for about 80 Marines. Gaigin has already hit on most of it. Your NCOs and SNCOs lead their individual workcenters. Each one of my guys work their shops a little differently, and personally I try not to intervene unless I see something I really don't agree with (which honestly hasn't happened yet).

My "expertise" (if you can call it that :icon_wink ) is being a pilot. I try to learn as much as I can about what each of my Marines does, but I will never know as much as my NCOs and SNCOs. I get as much face time with the Marines as I can, but usually that's limited to a quick walk through the shop, pulling the division together for a talk, one-on-one with the shit birds and rock stars.

As with Gaigin said ... MOS proficiency, obtaining advanced quals, completing annual ground training requirements - those are my priorities. Changing tires, fixing refueling pods - these are the skills I need from my Marines. Right now in the KC-130 community, with as many as 3 dets from a single squadron at any given time, we have guys getting pumped for 7 months away, 7 months home, 7 away ... and many more who volunteer with less dwell time. Pass your PFT/CFT, get to the gas chamber, rifle range, be good at your job - this (for better or for worse) is as detailed as my training plan gets for the multiple deployment guys.