• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tower, this is Southwest 153 Heavy... tower? Tower?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Apple.. Not really... More like your car pulling you into the driveway and you watching it praying that it works as advertised... :scared_12

plc67

pilot
I've done one CATIIIb. You have to force yourself not to touch anything until it's time for thrust reversers. And don't forget to turn off the autopilot or it won't let you leave the runway. Overall it's much easier than a hand flown flown CATII approach in the DC8.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
plc67 said:
....CATIIIb.... Overall it's much easier than a hand flown flown CATII approach in the DC8.

Or a CAT I flown to 200'/1800 RVR in the -200 Whale. Manual or "auto" ... :) .... I love it when they euphemistically refer to an approach as "auto" or "coupled" on a B747-100/200. Usually doesn't happen ... gotta' have patience and BELIEVE!!!

A
nd you fly CAT II in a Diesel-8?? Wow ... Super-60's or -70's I suppose (?) .... that's progress, I guess. I knew they had upgraded engines and all, but CAT II avionics capable, as well. Must be nice.

The DC-8 always had a "classic" jet transport look ... well, most of 'em. :icon_wink My former employer had a sense of humor, at least ....

Braniff DC-8-62 N1805 in Calder livery ... circa late -70's.

plc67

pilot
We were authorized hand flown CATII approaches in the DC8 and DC9, but the Feds giveth and the Feds taketh away and now we're back to autopilot only CATIIs. We have an EFIS configuration in our 8s, nothing like a total glass cockpit but overall it's better than the total steam gauge package. We have 63s and some gussied up 61s, but alas, the 8s are on the chopping block. As you well know they aren't exactly fuel efficient.
By the way I actually liked the Flying Colors look.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
gregsivers said:
No and I don't ever want to. The one actual ILS I did at Whiting was bad enough. And its nothing compared to what many others on here have done I'm sure. Breaking out right at mins is not my idea of fun.

Never shot a Cat III, but I have to agree w/ this sentiment......nothing beats shooting your first (ever) ILS approach in night IMC and breaking out 10 ft above DH...and then realizing that it was only because of altimeter error that you broke out at all (because the G5 behind you w/ radar alt. went missed and diverted after 3 passes)....for a student instrument pilot, I was $hitting myself during that last 100':eek: :eek:

I can only imagine what a 0/0 cat IIIc must be like; A4's, what was the story behind your "manual" cat III in the A4?