• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Total time to wings after commission

How long did it take you to wing?

• 12-18 months

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 18-24 months

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • 24-30 months

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • 30+

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
-18F RWSO

Commissioned June 03
API October-November 03
VT-10 Primary December 03-April 04
Intermediate April 04-August 04
VT-86 Advanced September 04-May 05 (selected Rhinos in December 04)
VFA-106 E/F August 05-present (should be done within the next month or two)

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Man, you're on a fast track. When I was in AFROTC back in the day, We had this Colonel as the guest of honor at a Dining Out. We were all confused cause he didn't look that old (and also because he was driving an old VW Rabbit or something). We were all jaw dropped when we found out that he was only 37 years old. How the hell he managed that is beyond me. I know he flew Vipers throughout his career but that should really matter now should it? Can someone explain how someone can get there so quickly.

He got there quickly because he was in the Air Force and probably was a stellar performer. I believe the AF has a thing where you can get promoted early. I think they call it "before zone" or "early zone" or whatever. Something like that. A couple of the early promotions like that and its feasible to hit Col. in the AF at 37, especially if commissioned early at like 20 or 21. In the Marines its a little different. Absolute minimum of 4 years to Capt, 5-6 more years to Maj. and then another 5 years or so to Lt.Col. then at least 3-4 more to full bird. I would say the earliest you could make Col. in the Marines would be 20 years...MINIMUM...even if you are a stellar officer and your fitreps say so...I don't think we promote officers earlier than that...AF and Army promote much faster..they have many, many more officers...So a young Marine Colonel I would estimate at 41 or 42.

Recidivist

So most pilots are taking about 2.5 yr (with the exception of chunks, who banged it out pretty quick in 1 yr), and most NFOs are taking just a little less, about 20 months. Does anybody know where I can find the diagram of the training pipeline, the one with estimated training times and training options?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AH-1w in the really big pool days of 1997
Commissioned May 96
TBS Sept 96-Mar97
API Jul 97
Primary start Feb98-Oct98
Advanced start Feb 99-Aug99
RAG Sept99-Jan00
Fleet Feb00-today

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
commissioned July 02
TBS Nov 02 - June 03
API July 03 - Aug 03
Primary Sept 03 - Apr 04
Advanced May 04 - Jan 05 (Winged Jan 05)
RAG Jan 05 - May 05
Hit the fleet in June 05

lugginjugs

Not a good flight for SNA...but good enough.
commissioned 12/02
primary 1/04-7/04
advanced 8/04-5/05
winged
RAG 6/05-11/05
fleet 1/06

Who's in a hurry? I just talked to a Hornet driver who was reminiscing about getting a ride home from a bar when he was in Corpus and tasting breast milk again for the "first time".

NavyLonghorn

Recidivist said:
So most pilots are taking about 2.5 yr (with the exception of chunks, who banged it out pretty quick in 1 yr), and most NFOs are taking just a little less, about 20 months. Does anybody know where I can find the diagram of the training pipeline, the one with estimated training times and training options?

Depends man. If I didnt have to do IFS, I would have been done in 1.5 years. No hurricanes, no API wait, you can do this trash quickly. The gouge now does not equal the gouge later.

I cant imagine any pipeline other then jets taking 2.5 years, if thats what you mean by "pilots."

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Recidivist said:
Does anybody know where I can find the diagram of the training pipeline, the one with estimated training times and training options?

The first two links are a little out of date, but it shows the basics with duration/flight time:

pilot pipeline

nfo pipeline

These two pics are fairly accurate (some a/c options no longer there):

pipe_pilot.gif

pipe_nfo.gif

Recidivist

mules- thanks those are the pics I was looking for.

So IFS holds you back a little bit? I was under the impression that it was something that you could do while in the API wait.

I certainly don't qualify only jet pilots as pilots, wings = wings.

NavyLonghorn

What if their isnt a wait for API?

Took me six months to do IFS and get to API.
Took my buddies that didnt need IFS 2 - 3 months.
Sometimes you can class up immediatly, if you dont need IFS. So yes, IFS hangs you up.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Also your name isn't even put ON the waiting list for API until you've completed IFS, so even the very first guy to complete IFS, you will still be behind the very last guy who didn't, at least USMC wise.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Jameski said:
What different things factor into a person having to go to IFS or not?

Whether or not you have prior flight time. If you've got a private license or have 25+ hours, you can get IFS waived. Otherwise, you're doing it.