• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Torn shoulder, headed for 1st increment

MNU-OCS

I have a slight tear in my shoulder that i recieved 2 days ago. I went and had an x ray done too and notified my OSO. The problem here is this, i cant do a single pullup now, i was sitting around 19. I mean i could, but ide tear my shoulder worse. I have to keep off of it for 2 weeks! The timing couldnt be worse, also when i run it kinda hurts from the shock of going up and down. I figure i can try to use the eliptical at the gym, but im moving back from college and i dont have access to an eliptical. I can still do crunches fortunately but im in quite a pickle here with regards to PT. I currently sit around a 250 PFT score, well i scored lower at Ft. McCoy, but thats because i was on 2 hours of sleep and no food. Either way any ideas or suggestions, ANYTHING will do, constructive of course.

T

TXHusker05

That is tough, you don't want to push it and bust your shoulder up worse... that is the key thing. The best thing to do when you are injured (I had a slight crack in the bone of my elbow that needed time to heal)... is focus on cardio. Since you said running hurts and swimming is out the window, you might try something like a stair master at the local gym. Those aren't so rough on the up and down aspect, but make a good workout.

You should also just work with some free weights on your non-injured arm, just because one arm is suffering doesn't mean the other has to. When you are healed in the other arm, work with free weights there. Just to rebuild some lost strength due to inactivity. Then you can get back to pull ups, etc.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
See an ortho doc ASAP. All the advice on the internet, even from those few qualified to give it, won't mean squat when you cannot manke any increment. 'do some carido....lift with your other arm'; as well intended as this advice may be, it is not wise to follow it. I have seen many a young athlete follow such advice *without first obtaining a proper diagnosis* and end up with no career and poor health.

(keep in mind, no one, no exceptions, can diagnose over the internet)

See a doc; your career and your future health may very well depend upon it.

teufelhund0311

pilot
If you have a legit injury I would push back OCS. No reason to go and screw it up worse and as Marine4life says it’s easy enough for your OSO to fix. Had a guy in my platoon that separated his shoulder and they wanted to send him home. After they reset it he had to do 20 pull-ups and 50 push-ups before they let him stay. Yeah, they made him do this right after they reset it. Apparently the medical weirdoes believe a shoulder injury is an automatic NPQ because it will take too long to heal. I don’t think it would be good to show up with one…

MNU-OCS

I could go to 2nd increment. But i am in quite a pickle. If i go to 1st increment i not be as prepared at all. PT is next to impossible for now. I could fail at 1st increment which would devastate me. However it gets worse, if i go to 2nd increment i will be missing my sisters wedding which i am a part of and part of the first week of school i believe. I may have to check on that. Either way i chose 1st increment for a reason. I guess if i have no choice i will have to go to 2nd increment which i would be missing my sisters wedding, my bday (which isnt a big deal), and the first part of school. Its a bad situation just in general.

Falker

Not Air Force
I'd just suck it up and go 2nd Increment, it seems bad now but a life long career in the Marine Corps. as an Officer is more important in your life than a wedding, have a party with your sister when you get back, talk to your counselors about missing the first part of school, etc.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Or go next year. You could still go PLC-combined or finish seniors after graduation (depending on what year you are now). There might be some consequences (effect on your pay entry base date, for example) but in the grand scheme of things you'd still be getting commissioned and hitting TBS at roughly the same time. It's not pleasant, but I really would not want to be showing up at OCS already hurting. Just another option to think about, depending on what your doc and your OSO say.

MNU-OCS

Right well ill talk to my OSO about it monday. I left a message last thursday but no response. Is it possible to switch to PLC-combined. Ive been thinking about it for awhile and i have now come to the conclusion that i would rather go to the 10 week and get it all overwith at once. It doesnt matter to me much in the end because i will become a Marine. However it is my preference to go combined, probably now more than ever. Has anyone else felt the same way?

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
After 6 weeks in PLC-combined, I was happy to have 3 weeks of training left (since the last week you don't do much but graduation rehearsal anyway) instead of having to come back in a year to do the whole thing again. On the other hand, a lot of candidates get stress fractures about 6-7 weeks into combined, so that's a significant advantage to doing the split course.

Conaway

I have a similar situation, so I am not trying to sound like a Know-it-all, but I feel my advice is good.
I just had my second shoulder surgery this past monday, may 8th. I had my ligaments reattached and some torn muscle repaired. My original injury was a dislocation and I required another surgery due to an uncountable number of dislocations in the past 4 years.

First off, how did you hurt it?
Secondly, if you do in fact have a tear, DO NOT try to work it out, it will make it worse, trust me on this. As others have said, you need to have a proper diagnosis. A serious consideration should be an MRI to determine what is exactly is wrong. See an orthropedic doctor as soon as possible.
Trust me, you do not want to go to training with a bum shoulder. I have been dealing with an unstable shoulder for 4 years now and I delt with unexpected dislocations while playing intramural sports. Don't risk it. That's my best advice.

MNU-OCS

Thanks guys i appreciate all the advice. I have an appt with an orthopedic doctor tommorow. Right now i think that my shoulder is not torn, i believe it was sprained and that is great news. I think ill be able to go to first increment, however this whole ordeal has hampered my PT. Who here is going to 1st increment as a freshman?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
IGNORANT QUESTION ALERT!!!

Only because it's been bugging me since I read this thread, what does 1st or 2nd "increment" mean?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
theres a couple different versions of marine corps OCS. One of them is to do a 6 week session one summer and then a second 6 week session another summer. During the summer, there are a few "time slots" for the sessions to take place. There is a 6-week class which ships out late may I think, and another 6 week class which ships out early july.

So for example, someone can be going to the first increment (leaving late may) for 6 weeks. If it is their first time going, they would be considered first increment juniors. If its their second, then they would be first increment seniors. The second 6 week session is referred to as second increment.