• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Torn Rotator Cuff

robav8r

None
Contributor
Have persistent pain in my right shoulder recently diagnosed as a torn rotator cuff. The rubber band exercises and PT are not helping. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to get better ????

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Have persistent pain in my right shoulder recently diagnosed as a torn rotator cuff. The rubber band exercises and PT are not helping. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to get better ????
Had a tear about a year ago. (Not rotator but went thru much of the same discussions) Long story short- if you want to be sedentary then wait it out and the pain will subside. If you want to be active, have it surgically repaired. You'll be down for 6 weeks and then rehab depends on you, your body and your ortho.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Will be leaving on deployment in a few months which will bring a certain amount sedentary activity (except for cardio). Don't think surgery is an option now, but perhaps after deployment. Thanks for the info . . . . .

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
If you choose to have surgery in the future, shop around. Shoulder surgery goes best if the orthopedic surgeon has a lot of experience mucking around in there. Ask your flight surgeon to call the orthopedics departments where you are when you decide to get it fixed, and get a sense of what level of expertise they have in doing rotator cuff repairs. An orthopedic surgeon who's completed a fellowship in shoulder/elbow or sports orthopedics would be my choice if it were my shoulder. If there isn't anybody there who's had that level of training, try the civilians or one of the big three Naval hospitals. Regardless, rotator cuff surgery rehab is lengthy, and good results depend on sticking with the program.
R/

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Avoid the opportunity…this time…to throw out the first pitch at any Padres games…just sayin'… There will be other opportunities to throw your "heat".
R1, the way the Padres pitching staff is performing, they'd probably sign Robo to a long-term contract!;)
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Surgery with a damn good doc, followed up by physical therapy. My old man (not in anything approaching good shape) went from being a right arm cripple to almost normal in about 8 weeks. He was hard down from work for about a week, next couple weeks in a sling, then light lifting for like a month or two.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Is it the cuff itself? I've had a labrum tear since college ball (SLAP tear to be more specific). I'm sure the doc explained to you, but depending on how bad it is there are several different options under the knife, with anywhere from 8 weeks to 6 months recovery depending on how bad it is. I went to the Texas Rangers team doc after visiting several other ortho guys, definitely shop around for the right doc.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
What timebomb says. Also....how long have you been doing PT?. If I were in your position ,I would seek infofrom the nearest University or pro baseball team doc.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What timebomb says. Also....how long have you been doing PT?. If I were in your position ,I would seek infofrom the nearest University or pro baseball team doc.
Thanks Doc. Doing PT for a little over a month now. And yes, beginning to explore surgical options now.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Bump. Also, does fessing up to a flight doc affect flight pay if you go surgical? I’ve never had a major medical issues.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Bump. Also, does fessing up to a flight doc affect flight pay if you go surgical? I’ve never had a major medical issues.
Shouldn’t. If I remember correctly, flight pay is based on your orders, not your upchit.

I had a SLAP repair done in 2005. Document everything you do, and make sure it’s in your medical record. Get copies.