• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TOP GUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrklr

Does anyone know anything about top gun now-a-days? I've heard it's been moved to nevada, is it still open and fully operational and does it still work the same way it always has? It seems like it lost all it's hype when it moved out of Miramar. Also, which type of pilots can get selected for top gun? any info. or a good link is apprecitated.

farkle84

it moved to the navy base in Fallon. and hornet pilots are the main pilots that are selected to attend. if i find a link i will let you know or just go to Fallon's homepage.

Dave Shutter

Also...as F/A-18 crews are the bulk of the students these days (the bulk of the fleet) it isn't all ACM either. The missions will be simulated strike missions with you getting jumped by the bad guys either in, out, or on both legs of your run. So you're not just trained and graded on your ACM performance but, as always, your bomb droping as well. Which is really put to the test having just finished a dogfight or knowing you're about to have one. I got this from an F-14 CDR I met a while back. He said it's a completely different place now then the "old school", but still some of the best training you'll ever get.

Alex Fowler

Is Kelly McGillis still a flight instructor there?
bigeyes2_125.gif

Alex

BC 14, Notre Dame 7
GO EAGLES!!

NuSnake

I watched a thing on VH1 about how after she made that movie she went nutso!! Damn, I cant wait to play beach volleyball all day in Cali.....whew, and whenever I hit a good shot I'm gonna flex for the camera, then I'm gonna buzz the tower at Miramar, I'm sure itll go over just like in the movie...hahaha

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

jaerose

Yeah, the volleyball sounds great. I mean, what else is better than flying jets all day, playing volleyball all evening and then hitting the bars...then repeat! I've heard that that movie hit the nail on the head when describing Naval Aviation and I can't wait to be a part of it...

JR

ps-I'm kidding, too!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
of course too even think about going you better make sure you have the words to "you've lost that love and feeling" down pat.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
hehe, then you can see how long it would take to piss off an NFO by constantly calling him "Goose"...

JayManC

you guys... Top Gun is meant for the supposed 'Top Guns' to go back into the fleet as instructors to teach what theyve learned. And from what I've heard, there ain't sh*t for miles from fallon....unless you're looking for the brothels.

<insert something witty here:>

jrklr

I saw that special on VH1 about Top gun too, it was awesome. They said that before that movie, no one had ever "buzzed the tower" at mirimar, I thought that was comical. It was also interesting to see that everyone of the actors puked when they rode in the 14.

Burner

If you would like anymore info go to this site http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-nfws.htm. Check out the rest of the site if you get a chance too.

Also there is a movie called The True Story of TOP GUN, its pretty good, i found it on DVD at my local public library.

Status
Not open for further replies.