• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TOP GUN Misunderstood

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The Fallon O Club is still legit. Probably because DUI isn't an issue with the BOQ 50 yards away and no one has a family to go home to while the Air Wing is there.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know much about the selection process other than what I have observed other JO's go through....so I won't comment on that. But the levels.......it is the SFWT (Strike Fighter Weapons and Tactics) Syllabus:

SWFT LVL I = RAG grad
SWFT LVL II = Combat Wingman
SWFT LVL III = Combat Section Lead
SWFT LVL IV = Combat Division Lead
SWFT LVL V (or SFTI = Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor) = TOPGUN Grad/wearer of the patch
SWFT LVL IV(I) = Level IV Instructor.....this is a qual given to pretty senior dudes (CO/XO) and it is one that SFTI's have

During your JO tour, the idea is to complete level 2-4, and go out the door as a division lead. Probably same thing for the USMC side, just different naming conventions and syllabus.

Renegade One

None
I guess the "training facilities" no longer exist. i.e. the ACRAC (Aviation Cadet Recreation and Athletic Club) at P'cola, the cadet club bar in the barracks at Saufley, and the cadet club next to the wave cave at Whiting. The MARCADs called em slop-chutes.
Think I FIFY...

Renegade One

None
“Psycho" kept directing his pregnant wife to flatten them every Friday evening in his F250 on the way out since she wasn't drinking. It gave the SP something to do and the rest of us slipped by while they were stopped.
Brilliant coordinated off-target egress/flow tactics. Never met her, but I'm guessing (HOPING?) "Mrs. Psycho" remains a keeper….popping up a sacrifice-fly like that…bringing all the on-base runners home safe in the bottom of the ninth... ;)

Renegade One

None
SWFT LVL IV = Combat Division Lead

During your JO tour, the idea is to complete level 2-4, and go out the door as a division lead.

I think I like this, if it's true…but very different from my time. Back before the ice melted, Division Leads were solely the purview of the LCDRs and above…over little more than the COs signature. It was simply an experience/hours in type/Skipper's confidence thingie…precious little by way of a formal qualification process. Today is probably better… If today's JOs can make that wicket…shit hot.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think I like this, if it's true…but very different from my time. Back before the ice melted, Division Leads were solely the purview of the LCDRs and above…over little more than the COs signature. It was simply an experience/hours in type/Skipper's confidence thingie…precious little by way of a formal qualification process. Today is probably better… If today's JOs can make that wicket…shit hot.
You must not be aware that said division lead comes with the emormous ass pain of several thousand hours of computer based training, 7400 signatures in your PQS, formal/graded briefs/debriefs and a ton of other stuff. Today's process is the other side of the pendulum swing.

Renegade One

None
You must not be aware that said division lead comes with the emormous ass pain of several thousand hours of computer based training, 7400 signatures in your PQS, formal/graded briefs/debriefs and a ton of other stuff. Today's process is the other side of the pendulum swing.
Was not aware…but the qual seems to be worth it?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Not sure if your joking, but there is no such thing as PQS or CBTs in Hornet/Rhino land. The last signature I had to get for anything training related was at VT-86.

Briefs and Debriefs? Absolutely.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
In helo land, back in the day, there was about 50 hours of classified CBT you had to do to upgrade in addition to lectures and flights. There was no PQS, but there were about a hundred flight grade cards that had to be signed off. Can't speak to the jet world, but the whole system makes getting qual'ed a tough process.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
There are CBT/CAIs at the RAG, but not a huge part of the syllabus, and I've never seen a fleet guy in there, especially not for tactics. For tactics there is only one God and he is The Manual.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Nice. When I was going through the SWTI stuff in 04-07, it was all new to the HC community and quite difficult. It was created by the helo guys at NSAWC and changed often as kinks got removed. It would be awesome to know the process has been simplfied...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
SWTI =/= SWFT. I haven't done a CAI since 2010, and even then, I didn't ever finish the RAG CAI's. That is about as important and relevant as they are. If you end up in VFA, I think you will laugh at the comparison you just tried to make. As an aside, is there such a thing as an HS/HSC/HSL "division lead"?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
LVL I is RAG complete
LVL II is qualified copilot
LVL III is combat aircraft commander
LVL IV(I) was a squadron level patch wearer (usually a super JO or O-4)
LVL V was reserved for NSAWC and weapons school guys