• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Maverick having to buy rounds of cheer at the iBar (er, “Hard Deck”).
Rumor has it that Admiral Miller, the old AirBoss, worked a deal with Paramount to have the Hard Deck rebuilt in it's filming location out on Breakers Beach. It had to be after the movie was released so here's to hoping Admiral Whitesell is on the same wavelength and the bar is rebuilt. I saw the "Hard Deck" from inside while it was being used for filiming and it's a really dang cool bar, even outside of it being in Top Gun.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It looks exactly like the I-bar. Not sure why they didn’t just use the real I-bar.

Pretty cool to see a bar exactly like one where I’ve actually sat and drank* with my fellow pilots though. Except for the lack of popcorn. My wife pointed that one out- I was so proud.

Just a side thought- why not more love for Fallon? ?

*got drunk.

OscarMyers

None
It looks exactly like the I-bar. Not sure why they didn’t just use the real I-bar.

Pretty cool to see a bar exactly like one where I’ve actually sat and drank* with my fellow pilots though. Except for the lack of popcorn. My wife pointed that one out- I was so proud.

Just a side thought- why not more love for Fallon? ?

*got drunk.
I recall seeing on a "behind the scenes" that the real I-bar was too small to film in.

I think we could probably replace the beach football scene with Hangman and Rooster having monster burger eat-off at Middlegate Station... Yeah, cant imagine why the movie wasn't set in Fallon.

JoeBob1788

I think we could probably replace the beach football scene with Hangman and Rooster having monster burger eat-off at Middlegate Station... Yeah, cant imagine why the movie wasn't set in Fallon.
We stopped there on a vehicle nav, 4 guys finished the monster burger…an impressive/disgusting feat for sure. I was a little in awe that anything could stay in business out there.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Some pretty good behind the scenes TG:M stuff from Walleye along with some interesting legacy to SH transition info for the Blues.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Original I Bar"? Isn't it still open? Different location? Was awesome having the I Bar right across the street from the RAG and down the street from the BOQ.

Mirage

pilot
I was an extra in a couple of the bar scenes.. pretty cool experience. The bar they built was pretty awesome but was definitely a set.. the ceiling was mostly light bars for example. It was also built on the beach, and someone said it wasn't legal to have a building permanently there. I hope they were wrong and they do rebuild it there

hdr777

pilot
I was an extra in a couple of the bar scenes.. pretty cool experience. The bar they built was pretty awesome but was definitely a set.. the ceiling was mostly light bars for example. It was also built on the beach, and someone said it wasn't legal to have a building permanently there. I hope they were wrong and they do rebuild it there

How'd you get to be an extra there, just a pilot in san diego or?. I've seen some posts of people who were but just curious how they got people for it, seems like a cool experience

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How'd you get to be an extra there, just a pilot in san diego or?. I've seen some posts of people who were but just curious how they got people for it, seems like a cool experience
I was an extra too and they put out a call to the local San Diego area for anyone who was able to show up in a flight suit. It was mostly pilots but a few guys brought non-mil friends and they wore an extra flight suit. Spouses and girlfriends came too, those were all the civilians in the bar.

It was a good deal but long 14+ hour days. They did feed us really well, gave us haircuts everyday, and I did end up making about $1,500 bucks for about a week of being an extra. There were a ton of shots they took in the bar that they didn’t use in the film. The plus side, I’m standing right behind Tom in one scene so I can claim actually being in the movie ?

Funny story, when they rang the bell for Tom to buy a round, they actually had a pitcher full of beer tokens with ‘Hard Deck’ written on it and either Jennifer Connolly or the bartender would walk around passing them out as part of the scene. The pitcher was full at the start of the week but almost empty by the end. The director asked for everyone to put the tokens back but strangely no one had taken one, or two, as souvenirs ?‍♂️

The other cool story, all of the mugs on the ceiling were recreated from existing or inactive squadrons, to include logos and call signs. I had been looking the whole time to see if I could find a mug with my callsign and I did on the last day. I asked the prop guy if I could have it and he gave it to me. I’m now a proud owner of a VFC-13 beer mug from the Hard Deck bar :)