• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too Many Officers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshAZ

I got the word today that I was accepted for Supply, but my OCS date isn't until August 23, 2003. My recruiter told me the reason that its such a long wait is that there may be too many Officers in the Navy and that the Navy is supposed to report to Congress how many officers it has. She said that if they were under my date would possibly be moved up. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this from their recruiters.

Josh Huckabee

marcb747

Actually, your recruiter is right.

"Congress determines the precise numerical strength of the services, and vacancies must occur in each rank and job before others are let in. Zero accessions are often a direct result of a job's being overstrength. when a job is overstrength, the service must implement measures to manage the excess such as voluntary or involuntary reclassifying personnel or raising the cutoff for test scores..."

Source: Mack, William P. and Thomas K. Paulsen. Naval Officer's Guide, 10th Edition. Annapolis, MD. Naval Press Institute.

In hindsight, the economy may have an impact although personally, I think the surge in applications may be a post Sept.11 effect.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can second this fact. There are far too many in my squadron. Most seem to be suffering from a condition known as "O-4." I think we need to institute a Hinge trap and release program, but that's just me.
icon_smile.gif

Goose

SNA Meridian
I guess that jsut means us young guys have to wait longer. I swore in for SNA in early June and my date is August 2 2003!! It almost seems like a bad dream!

sonnyb

hey josh, congrats on your selection. Looking at your stats, you deserved the slot. Hopefully I can get that Supply slot too.

grouch

Way to go Josh. Another factor for the delay is there are less officers getting out. I spoke with my recruiter and he said the projected number of slot available are changing almost daily becuase nobody wants to leave. I for one will stay till I'm grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.