• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

too little to fly?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
@wannaflywindy:
There was a girl here at Sherman Field who was short enough that she (whilst strapped in) couldn't reach the T-6 canopy to pull it shut... the instructors concurred that it didn't matter, since she made anthro to fly. Keep keepin' on, and good luck.

Do they still have anthro waivers for training command? I was anthroed out for butt to knee length for the T-2 but since the VT-10 syllabus was only a dozen or so flights in that jet and I fit in everything else they sent me on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Truth be told, I don't know her call sign. If you're talking about a Marine Major that's currently on a staff tour at MARFOREUR in Germany, then yes - we're talking about the same person.

She was a new-ish Maj and IP at VT-27 when I went through, not sure where she went after that. Great American, always cool to chat with, and had a rep as being one of the best sticks in the sqdn.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do they still have anthro waivers for training command? I was anthroed out for butt to knee length for the T-2 but since the VT-10 syllabus was only a dozen or so flights in that jet and I fit in everything else they sent me on.

As far as I've heard recently not for the T-45 in SNA Advanced. MB would be a notable exception. A friend has been told nope as she's too short for the Goshawk.

gotta_fly

pilot
I knew a girl (SNA I think) who was very close to passing the knee-buttock length requirement to NAMI actually gave her a month to "bulk up" her rear end and she eventually passed through. For what it's worth to the OP, I'm pretty short (5'5") and I had no problems. I'll admit that I used a seat cushion in IFS to fly the Cessna, but everything else I've encountered since has had adjustable rudder pedals and I'm pretty sure that short people are more comfortable in cramped cockpits than tall people. That said, it never hurts to have a tall friend handy to help with those up-high items on the preflights!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
As far as I've heard recently not for the T-45 in SNA Advanced. MB would be a notable exception. A friend has been told nope as she's too short for the Goshawk.

How the F does one accomplish being too short for the Goshawk? Is your friend missing her legs?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sitting reach I believe. Maybe "too small" is a bit more proper.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One poster here, Redmidgrl, is probably 5'1" and she's in the pipeline in Kingsville (maybe winged now, not sure). I'm 5'3" and I was good to go for all NFO positions, only thing I anthro'd out of was E-2/C-2 pilot, and if I had been a Marine, Harriers.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
One poster here, Redmidgrl, is probably 5'1" and she's in the pipeline in Kingsville (maybe winged now, not sure). I'm 5'3" and I was good to go for all NFO positions, only thing I anthro'd out of was E-2/C-2 pilot, and if I had been a Marine, Harriers.

I knew a guy that wasn't an inch over 5'4" that was a Hawkeye pilot. He had to put a NATOPS (E-2 NATOPS is pretty damn thick) behind his back to push himself forward when flying onto the boat so he could get full rudder throw. Good pilot, just a shrimp.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is it about the Harrier that is so odd? I'm anthroed out of the T-2, F-14D, and AV-8. And I'm an average height scrawny dude.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
What is it about the Harrier that is so odd? I'm anthroed out of the T-2, F-14D, and AV-8. And I'm an average height scrawny dude.

I believe it's the arm reach. I am 6'2", so I can't say too much, but it doesn't seem that much different from the T-45. A bit more leg room...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
When I was an instructor at 129, there was a female student that we had to anthro out of Prowlers. Too short/light for the ejection seat. Would have broken her back (less weight = more G's). She ended up in VQ-1 and got the all expenses paid trip to Hainan.

blackbart22

pilot
Had a friend that flew AD's that was about 5'5". He said "I can see the runway ahead on takeoff or I can have full throw on the rudder. I can't do both at the same time." You really needed full throw on take off in an AD.