• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too Late For Prk?

atflor

pilot
I am applying for SNA December selection board. I am right on the cusp of the 20/40 limit and want to get PRK. My question is this.

I know there is a 3 month waiting period (for +/-3.00, which I am) before a waiver can be issued. Is that 3 months before you begin API or before you're pro rec'd? If I don't get PRK and I fail the acquity test with NOMI, will they automatically not give me a final select, or will they let me get PRK and retest? I would like to have the surgury either way, so should I just get it now and if accepted risk not having the 3 months completed?

If anyone has a certain response to this i would appreciate the help. I know there are many people on here who like to offer opinions as fact, but I'm not looking for opinions. Please respond only if you are certain your information is accurate. Thanks.

nugget81

pilot
I was pro-rec'd, went to MEPS, found out that my vision was worse than 20/40, got PRK, and received my final select about 4 months later. This was a very unusual case, but it is possible. I was certain that I was at least 20/40 based on my FAA medical a few months prior to the pro-rec. However, if you are not certain then you should probably get your eyes checked again before submitting the package. Worse case--get PRK, wait 3 months, and then submit.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
not to open up a can of worms, but isn't the navy doing SCL waivers now? I know it was for lat. transfers but isn't it now for civilian applications?