• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tons of questions, first post on the forum

brandon14

First off Hi, this is both my first time on this site and first post.
I'm a junior in highschool and am trying to figure out my best route in becoming a officer in the navy, as of right now I think NROTC would be the best for me but I am definitely open to any other options. So here are some questions that my counselor at school couldn't answer.
Are there any specific schools that turn out more pilots than other university/private colleges(besides the academy)

I am a junior in high school and due to family obligations i have not been able to do much as far as sports and clubs, though i did hold a job for two years until i moved here to vegas in august, will community service, and or school sports, part time job, or school clubs help me in being more competitive for the rotc scholarship? does having that job help me at all?
Am i at all competitive with a 3.0 gpa, 89 Afqt on the asvab, one year of football+baseball(again i had to stop because i was needed to babysit my little brother after school due to money problems)
How can i make myself more competitive?

Is there a major in college that will help me in becoming a pilot but also make me more desirable to the military,and also give me options in the work place?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your time and help.
Brandon

warface

Banned
According to the latest rumors there will be no more SNA spots for NROTC'ers
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152661&page=1

DISCLAIMER: RUMORS MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE.

BTW, NROTC doesn't guarantee you a Pilot slot but instead guarantees you'll become an Officer (given that you successfully complete everything).
That's why folks go BDCP or wait till they get their degree to apply. Because they can apply for a specific designator.

brandon14

I know it does not give me a guaranteed pilot spot and i know i will really need to work hard to get there.

That link is just a joke right?

thanks for the quick reply, Brandon

phrogpilot73

According to the latest rumors there will be no more SNA spots for NROTC'ers
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152661&page=1

DISCLAIMER: RUMORS MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE.

BTW, NROTC doesn't guarantee you a Pilot slot but instead guarantees you'll become an Officer (given that you successfully complete everything).
That's why folks go BDCP or wait till they get their degree to apply. Because they can apply for a specific designator.
Rather than adding a disclaimer, don't spread rumors.

For the OP, disregard what's posted - it's probably bullshit.

brandon14

Rather than adding a disclaimer, don't spread rumors.

For the OP, disregard what's posted - it's probably bullshit.
Great to hear!! i just about pissed myself when I first read the reply, Ive wanted to be a pilot in the military since I was eight years old, and that just about screwed my hope!

Is the academy an option for me?
i dont think it would be as far as my gpa but my cousin who just returned from Afghanistan was offered the opportunity to go to westpoint because of his asvab score and he only got an 84, could this be something for me to look into?

yodaears

pilot
Brandon, a general piece of advice that has helped me; never self-select out of ANY options. The academy is an option for you but you need to get going on that if you're a junior in HS. That's a pretty involved process. As I am not an academy grad, I'm really not the one to fill you in on the details but there is tons of info concerning just the academy on this site.

brandon14

Brandon, a general piece of advice that has helped me; never self-select out of ANY options. The academy is an option for you but you need to get going on that if you're a junior in HS. That's a pretty involved process. As I am not an academy grad, I'm really not the one to fill you in on the details but there is tons of info concerning just the academy on this site.
I dont know whats going on with the forum but only for threads show up when i go into the "academy" section but from the main menu it says that there are 270 something threads, is it like this for everyone?

yodaears

pilot
Why don't you take a look at the academy website. I'm sure there's some good info on there. Also, there was a book written a couple of years ago called "The Naval Academy Candidate Book." Not sure how accurate it is but it might be something to look into, again I'm not a USNA grad. It's on amazon.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Look into BDCP as well. I know the Academy is very competitive, but that is about the extent I can tell you. BDCP has been a dream for me thus far, definitely check it out.

m26

Contributor
Look into BDCP as well... BDCP has been a dream for me thus far, definitely check it out.

Ditto (and my dream has only been a few days thus far).

BDCP would be a great opportunity, especially if you could get into an inexpensive school. You get a year or two to develop a great package by working on your grades and extracurriculars, and when you get into the program you get a great salary, no uniforms or haircuts, and a guaranteed spot at flight school.

Is there a major in college that will help me in becoming a pilot but also make me more desirable to the military,and also give me options in the work place?

Short answer: engineering. Long(er) answer: the BEST major is the one you enjoy and can do well in. Picking a major for any other reason is a dangerous game.

Immy

Sincerely, don't be one of those guys/girls who picks engineering, gets the scholarship, and then complains to no end because the Navy won't let them change out of it after they realize they hate it and are doing terribly.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I put mechanical engineering on my ROTC application and changed it four times in the first year and a half, finally settling on political science (because it was the easiest). That was in '96-'97 - has it gotten harder to change majors once in school?

Immy

Yes, it has, because of the tier system now in place. In order to really have a shot at a scholarship you need to be in a tier one or two major (engineering, math, physics, chemistry, etc.). Everything else is tier three (business, liberal arts, etc.). You can go from Tier one to Tier two once on scholarship, but going to Tier three is a big no no and you will lose your scholarship.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yes, it has, because of the tier system now in place. In order to really have a shot at a scholarship you need to be in a tier one or two major (engineering, math, physics, chemistry, etc.). Everything else is tier three (business, liberal arts, etc.). You can go from Tier one to Tier two once on scholarship, but going to Tier three is a big no no and you will lose your scholarship.

I think that your school should be taken into consideration. Tier 3 for business? I think a Business degree at the University of Texas is not the same as a Liberal Arts degree at like your run of the mill college.