• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

Yeah,I think that VF-101 the Grim Reapers, sitll do the shows. They do a good job, and the Tomcat is Bad A$$.

jaerose

What was the program you were in that allowed you to take back seat rides in these jets? How did you get into them? Just curious.

JR

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Remember to be determined but expect the unexpected. About 45% of Navy pilots are helo pilots. The Navy's needs and timing is everything when selecting. Good luck.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jaerose-
Summer cruise! As a ROTC Scholarship or Naval Academy Midshpman you go on training cruises during summer break. The summer before your senior year of ROTC (not sure how the Academy guys do it since they have 2 cruises a year I think), you can do surface, subs, aviation, or Mini-BUD/S (Seals). If you go Aviation you can pick fighters, helos etc. depending on what they have available. I went Tomcats, one of the other guys in my class went Hornets w/ VFA-106, and the final aviator wannabe was on the West Coast w/ HSLWINGPAC. So it's pretty much a crapshoot.

BTW beau- I hope for the 213 mids' sake Fallon was cooler then El Centro. Yeesh.
boggled_125.gif
Loved flying the Turbo Weenie though. Can't wait to get to Primary and do it again.

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

jrklr

does anyone know if it's at all possible for someone not on ROTC to go on these cruises, like say BDCP people?

beau

Haha......yeah I can see that happening! NOT! The Navy needs a sense of OwnerShip (If thats a word) over you before you can do something like Summer cruise. The Navy has "owned" me for three years so to speak. I think after your Junior Year your obligated to Enlisted Service If you do not finish school and serve your time. I think the only Organization in the Navy that allows back seat rides are the Blue Angels.....even then you have to be a Celb. or Press to promote how "Awesome" the Navy is. You have to remember that the Navy Spends money on us to get commissioned, so our Summer Cruise is pretty much mandatory......especially for people with no Prior Service.......All NROTC Middies have to go on a Senior Cruise to get commissioned (pretty Sure).

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Beau,

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the NAVY owns the BDCP people too. I have been in the BDCP for almost 3 years. We also are obligated to serve enlisted time if we drop out. (Min. of 2 yrs, depending on job). I guess my point is, it isn't because of "ownership", because the Navy "OWNS" BDCP'ers also! It's probably more because NROTC guys actually drill, as to where BDCP'ers don't.

D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The NFO flys because he is a part of the crew. Enough said there. BTW, celebs and press aren't the only ones who fly with the blues. I've had SNA's get a backseat ride during practice and I've flown #7 from the backseat during a good portion of the practice session. All you have to do is ask. Of course, we were in El Centro during the practice sessions but they were very accomodating. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

beau

Frumby,
I was Speaking from the Civy side of things.

D-mac,
Not too familuar with BDCP'ers. All I know is that is a requirement of the NROTC for Middies to go on a First Class Cruise. On Cruise, we are considered active duty, and get E-5 pay. As far as the Feild (SW, SUBS, Seals, or Aviation), that depends on what you as a Mid you want to go in. Getting selected for an Aviation Cruise only comes after you finish you Pre Commissioning Aviation Physical, and want to go into this field. This does not "get" you an Aviation slot(know some guys from cruise that didnt get a slot). I was lucky to get the F-14 Squadron, most people "on shore" dont get what aircraft type they want, in fact you just put in for an Aviaiton cruise and they tell you what you get. I was one of four guys from my unit to go on the 1st class Aviation Cruise, and I was the only one who got pointy nosed jets. Other guys got helo and P-3 squadron. Luck of the draw!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Brodie143

jrklr

Coming from an F-14 squadron, the reason RIOs fly during an air show as Frumby said is that they are part of the crew. Air shows can be dangerous evolutions since you are so close to the ground you need a second guy backing you up in an aircraft that old and complex. There are only a few crews and they are usually second, third or fourth tour aviators and specially trained. Very awesome to see. If you go out on a carrier hopefully you will get to see a supersonic Tomcat fly by.

Also you can't fly an F-14 without a RIO. From all of the circuit breakers in the back, to running the radar, radios, giving altitude and attitude calls, checking to make sure the area is clear of other aircraft and so on, plus for weight and balance issues the aircraft would be tail heavy (the cg would be past the aft limit) and not fly correctly. The F-14 is truly a two person aircraft. Of course they give incentive rides where you are not doing anything, except being ballast for weight and balance then and having a blast.

The blues do occasionally give incentive rides especially out in El Sweato. My old skipper (Pilot) got one. He was impressed, but I think he liked flying his Tomcat better.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ballast Requirements? Hmm, I'm surprised they didn't have to put some barbell weights in my lap when they took me up . . .
propeller_125.gif

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

Status
Not open for further replies.