• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

Does the Navy still give F-14 positions? If so what determines wether you get Tomcats or Hornets etc...?

Brodie143

There are Tomcat slots until the beginning of 2005. The FRS is supposed to shut down at the end of 2005. Subject to change. Your landing ability at the boat is a big factor as to what aircraft you get. Most guys who were very good at tactics but poor at landings got hornets. It's easier to land. Ok to very good at tactics and good to very good at landings you get Tomcats. Tomcats are more difficult to land. If you were very good at landings you get prowlers because they are extremely hard to land. S-3 are kinda the low man.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whew! Good to hear there'll still be slots open when I roll around! :) I heard a rumor that they'd already shut down the pipeline. The Navy made the mistake of giving me an hour in the backseat of one of VF-101's Tomcats last summer and I was instantly hooked. Even more incentive now to bust my ass once I get commissioned.

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

Brodie143

Nittany03-

Got some bad news for you. You will not make it if they stick to the current schedule. You are looking at at least a 2 month wait to start API unless you are very lucky. So you are looking at 4 months to finish API. Primary is supposed to be 31 weeks now, not sure if that is true. It will take about 8 to 9 months. Advanced is another 45 weeks or so, so there is 10 to 12 months. Again this is if you sail right through, which never happens. Remember weather can be a factor, plus aircraft can be grounded for a while. You have waiting periods before you start each new step. So add a couple of weeks to each. The FRS is a year long so you are not in the window.

Sorry to tell you that. I would love to go back to F-14s myself as I too got a back seat ride. But trust me you want to go to the future of naval aviation and that right now is the super hornet.

Congrats on getting selected.

R/
LTJG Yargosz

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, I guess I went off the rule of thumb of ~1.5yrs total for wings assuming no long waits. Didn't know the FRS was a year long; I thought it was 6 months, never inquired about curriculum time when I was down there. Thanks for the better gouge before I got rolling, though. I'd fly a brick if they put an engine in it and painted "Navy" on the side, though, so I suppose I'll end up where I end up. Kinda hard to call that before I even start API, anyway. Fun dreaming though. :)

jrklr

I know it's a long shot, but I wouldn't give up on getting selected for the 14 just yet. Notice in Brodie's post he put "subect to change." I have already heard that the Tomcat has been extended for another few extra years, so you there's no way of knowing until your actually there.

Burner

You could still get to fly with some of the former Tomcat squadrons, in the super hornet, if the Tomcat isn't around(I assume?). It wouldn't be the same but you could fly with some famous squadrons.

beau

Sorry about that nittany03, You must have been a different phase than I was on cruise. I was on third phase with Vf-101........Awesome, thats all I had to say. Did you get alot of sim time, I was over there almost everyday!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't get much sim time Finch, I was 1st phase w/ 101 so I spent two weeks in VA beach and two weeks on a strike det in "Hell" Centro. Spent a buttload of time standing SDO watches but the payoff was definitely worth it. The sim was pretty clogged up with real aviator types while I was in Oceana. The kicker was the fact that I actually flipped for my cruise with a buddy of mine and "won" since we both wanted 1st phase fighters. So he "lost," took a 2nd phase cruise with VFA-106 and got 20-odd fricking hours of backseat time AND a week in New Orleans!
banghead_125.gif
Got to go to Vegas for a weekend though so it wasn't a total loss.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't get much sim time Finch, I was 1st phase w/ 101 so I spent two weeks in VA beach and two weeks on a strike det in "Hell" Centro. Spent a buttload of time standing SDO watches but the payoff was definitely worth it. The sim was pretty clogged up with real aviator types while I was in Oceana. The kicker was the fact that I actually flipped for my cruise with a buddy of mine and "won" since we both wanted 1st phase fighters. So he "lost," took a 2nd phase cruise with VFA-106 and got 20-odd fricking hours of backseat time AND a week in New Orleans!
banghead_125.gif
Got to go to Vegas for a weekend though so it wasn't a total loss.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
oops, musta hit "post" twice . . .

beau

Yeah, I won a coin toss to get my tomcat ride. One of the FOs got sick so there was an open seat. Everyone with 101 eventually got a ride, but the guys that got detached out to Fallon with VF-213(something like that) got a bunch of rides in Hornets and variour other aircraft. I tried to sneak a flight in the hornet (know a IP with VFA-106), but that got shot down my last day(after I got all the paperwork and quals done!) The T-34 was great, even though I got sick!!!!, and H-3 was fun but way scary below 40knots as a fixed wing pilot myself! Wow, what an experiance! Cant wait to fleet up!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

NuSnake

I got to see a Tomcat demo at the airshow here in Huntsville about a week ago, probably the most awesome plane I've ever seen fly. It was sweeeeeeet.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.