• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrklr

So the word is that the Tomcat will be fully replaced by 2010. Do you think that that means that they will be training pilots for it up to that point, or do you think they'll stop making slots available for it in the next few years here. I'm applying for a pilot slot pretty soon but I wouldn't be going to flight school until like 2006 if everything goes as planned. I know it's a long ways away to be worrying about something like this considering I were to even get a SNA slot, but I've always wanted to fly Tomcats (me and the rest of the world)and I think it would be awesome to be a part of the Navy tradition and history by flying this jet. I know how difficult it is to even get selected for jets, but I still would like to know if this plane would even be an option for me. If anyone has any idea when they'll stop training Tomcat pilots, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Dave Shutter

I've heard VF-211 and VF-2 are the next to go, that leaves the count at 8 sqdns + the RAG, but they'll probably still need new pilots in the coming years.

RC

I can say one thing, id really like to be able to say i took a spin in a Tomcat before they get rid of them.

Dave Shutter

One of my classmates Dad visited him a while ago and some of us got a chance to talk to him, a CDR with 13 yrs in Tomcats. He still thinks it's the greatest airplane in the world but he was frank with us about selections, take Hornets if you can, he said. Back in the day the VF community was the greatest place in the world but working in a dying community is no fun. Old planes, no money.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:THere are other airspeeds out there (as is the case in all aircraft) that I bet it accelerates like a pig.

Well, I bet you a beer mine will beat yours for the first hundred feet or so from the position and hold! Got to love 100% engines with variable pitch propellors .... And, I bet my turning radius is a wee bit smaller also! lol

I think I should stay out of airspeed discussions though.... Vne 405 anyone? doh!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, figured you would go for the catapult!

Would be curious to compare those numbers...

Ed Williams

The t-34 is the king... bar none. Of the people that i have talked too, the tomcat pipeline is no longer an option... just what i heard.
ed

Jack

Its pretty hard to get a good turn radius in a Prowler when the wings are cracked and the jet is limited to 3Gs... why oh why didn't I throw in some ugly bolters at the boat?

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.