• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips on Navy OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wytee44

I normally don't reply on here although I've been visiting this website for about 4 years now. However, this is certainly a question I've heard many times. I was second in charge of both my boot camp company and OCS class, so here's my opinion: boot camp did feel like a joke after going through OCS. But I have to say there were some things I enjoyed about OCS than I did boot camp: liberty (not even an option in boot camp); living conditions (4 man rooms vice 80 man squad bays); chow time (yeah, it wasn't exactly enjoyable at either place, but I'd rather have 20 minutes than 7 and standing butt-to-nut for extended periods of time). Now why I thought boot camp was a joke: inspections (are you kidding me? you thought 'attention to detail' was stressed in boot camp? boot camp inspections were NOTHING compared to OCS); DI v. CC (the Marines only send their best graduates from DI school to Navy OCS; not taking ANYTHING away from the CC's, but put a CC next to a DI in a smokey bear and see which one makes you sh*t your pants first). Anyway this is all just my opinion, but one thing goes for both of them: they're both just BIG games. Just play the game and you'll succeed in both. You'll learn what you really need to know once you get to the fleet.

"How is Version 2.0 doing? He was asking tons of questions concerning OCS. He didn't DOR did he? Let's see, his class should be in about 3rd week so they're probably stressing over 4th Week RLP about right now or really soon. Fun times I tell you. Anybody knows who his classes' DI is? Just curious."

V2.0 got to NOMI and lost SNA bc he is so damn short. He did pick up NFO though. They are Townsend's first class.

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Does anyone really doubt what is harder? Do we really have to have this question displayed? You turds get a life. OCS is head and shoulders a more intense expierence. Anyone who tells you different would be fooling themselves. Semper Fi to all my little pigs out there. dhe

Doc33

In response to your earlier post

I too am 29 and am heading off to OCS in August/September 2004. How's it going? What can I expect being an elder statesman? etc.

MikeGuy

Doc33 said:
I too am 29 and am heading off to OCS in August/September 2004. How's it going? What can I expect being an elder statesman? etc.

The simple answer is that you can expect to be treated the same way as your 22 year old comrade: as an OCS officer candidate.

I had several older guys in my class (29, 30, etc). We (including the staff) all took notice of their age, but it was never an issue as far as training went (although it provided fodder for some jokes).

photonchick

My husband is 31 (6 years prior) and is almost done with OCS. He has had the same challenges as all the younger guys and has pretty much been treated the same. They give you extra time on runs and other handicaps for your age if you need it, although most guys don't. The only thing I would say that works against your age is the paperwork/package. My husband's took a little over a year to get finalized, so if you're interested you should get moving on it. You can always choose not to accept what they offer, but you won't know until you try. Good luck! :icon_mi_1

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
photonchick said:
They give you extra time on runs and other handicaps for your age if you need it, although most guys don't

This statement is really only true for the PRT. Everybody has to run the same pace in formation. Fall out, and you're going to catch hell regardless of age. When someone touches their face and you're all doing pushups in the grass, you'll all be expected to push, regardless of age. OCS was designed for the 22-year-old male straight out of college. We had females who dropped out of numerous formation runs, but still got the PT badge, because an Outstanding medium for a female 20-24 in the run is 11:15.

Hudson

Don't worry about your age. I am 30 finished OCS in Jan. and I am now in Primary for NFO. I was better in shape than more than a few of the younger guys in my class. I hurt a bit longer after someof the work outs but it wasn't a big deal. Plus your age will give you some valuable insite on life and what is really important while you are suffering the trials and tribulations that is Navy OCS. As far carrier. You will have a masters degree. This will look better for you when it comes time to make Lt Comander than if you graduated from the acadamy and don't have one. Plus you get in this year and you can still retire when you are 50 years old. How many other occupations can you do that and still get a pention?
In short, your age is not going to hinder so long as you have a desire to push your self.
Good Luck
Hudson

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
The New OCS

Hey Everyone,

I'm a member of the pilot class (10-06) of the new schedule at OCS. There already is a thread started on some of the changes, but even that is a little obsolete as things are changing on our schedule by the hour. I haven't had the time to read the other thread, so I'm probably repeating some information, but I'll try my best to give you the most up to date gouge.

To start off, here is my advice for you guys going to OCS in the near future. Because the DI only has you for the first three weeks (Military Indoctrination), he has a very limited amount of time to work with you, make an impression, and instill discipline in you Marine DI style. What that means is that you'll be getting thrashed a lot. You'll be spending a lot of time in the grass doing a lot of pushups. If you can't max out on the in PFA for pushups, you've got work to do before you report. All of the upper classes couldn't believe how much we were getting beat (beat/thrashed, just means that we were in the grass/sand doing a lot of pushups). Also, you don't want to be the guy/girl that shows up and fails the in PFA and has to roll into H-Class(We had 3 roll from ours and 5 roll into ours). You do not want to spend anymore time at OCS than you have to. Plus if you roll into H-Class you become a target for all of the DI's once you roll back into the next class, which could be anytime from 2-4 weeks. Once you become a target, OCS becomes much harder. Lay low and try to fly under the radar.

Like everyone says, know the big 4 before verbatim before you arrive. This is especially important now, as your Room/Locker/Personnel Inspection is on the Thur of the third week, as opposed to the Sat of the fourth week on the old schedule. That gives you only 18 days to memorize the big 4, all of the definitions, and all of the insignia. However you'll be extremely busy doing PT, Physical Remedial Training, Drill, Medical, Watch, etc. You won't have much time to learn it at OCS. In order to do well on your RLP inspection, you HAVE to know your knowledge. The first part of the inspection is with your Class Officer, and the fewer knowledge hits you take, the better your chances of passing. If you take any more than 6 hits from your Class Officer, you are more than likely not going to pass the inspection. And you will take hits for other areas such as your uniform, display, desk, etc. so be sure not to take any knowledge hits. On your first Sunday, you'll have pretty much an open day. Spend that day prepping for RLP, you'll need every spare minute that you can get.

With the new schedule Drill Comp is on the Saturday of the third week. The good news and the bad news is that you will only be marching. There are no swords or guns, there isn't the time for it. So that makes drill comp relatively easy, but not as cool as with swords or guns. But on the other hand, you don't have to worry about training to make drill comp look cool.

So it's officially the Saturday of the third week. Class 10-06 is kicking ass, did well on the RLP. Did well on the drill comp today, so we secured as a class. Unfortunately, we didn't get liberty this weekend. Would have been really nice with the 3 day weekend, as we have absolutely nothing to do on Sunday or Monday. It's either balls to the wall or absolutely nothing to do.

Its time for Taps so I'm out of here. Any questions let me know. I'll be adding more as I have the time and learn more about the schedule

KBayDog

puck_11 said:
It's either balls to the wall or absolutely nothing to do.

Sounds like they are preparing you well for military life. ;)

Keep driving, and thanks for the input - there are plenty on this board who appreciate the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.