• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Timing concerns

MotoZuki

I've been pro rec'd for SNA, and am awaiting final select. The more I read here, the more concerned I become about my vision (-1.00 right, -1.25 left).

If I do not get final selected, I will most likely opt for PRK and reapply.
If I do get selected, do I risk getting NPQ'd from the program during OCS or API due to my eyesight? Or, do I turn down the final select, get PRK and reapply?

What to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Moto

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I've been pro rec'd for SNA, and am awaiting final select. The more I read here, the more concerned I become about my vision (-1.00 right, -1.25 left).

If I do not get final selected, I will most likely opt for PRK and reapply.
If I do get selected, do I risk getting NPQ'd from the program during OCS or API due to my eyesight? Or, do I turn down the final select, get PRK and reapply?

What to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Moto

Well basically if your vision is <20/40, you will be found NPQ if that's what they put your eyes at at MEPS. No doubt about it. The limit on refractive error is I think -1.5, but typically 20/40 is a much lower refractive error than that. Bottom line, if your FINDOCS have you at less than 20/40, you're going to be non-select. If the MEPS docs screwed up somehow and put you as 20/40 or better (if you really aren't) then you will probably encounter problems at OCS. My suggestion is just to look into PRK and get it done as soon as you find out about your FINDOCS and reapply, or consider switching to NFO.

atflor

pilot
This won't be much help for your current situation, but allow me to empathize. I came to the realization shortly after submitting my package that my vision probably wouldn't hack it (-.75, -1.00 R/L). I chose to get the surgery so that it wouldnt' be an issue, even though my OSO strongly encouraged me not to. It seems to have worked out, being that my application has been in limbo for over three months now and my wait period has passed. My advise? Get PRK today...that way, even if you pass your eye exam now you won't battle with glasses or contacts later. Also, if you don't get Final Select you will have already burnt time against the mandatory wait. That's a tough decision...good luck.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
This won't be much help for your current situation, but allow me to empathize. I came to the realization shortly after submitting my package that my vision probably wouldn't hack it (-.75, -1.00 R/L). I chose to get the surgery so that it wouldnt' be an issue, even though my OSO strongly encouraged me not to. It seems to have worked out, being that my application has been in limbo for over three months now and my wait period has passed. My advise? Get PRK today...that way, even if you pass your eye exam now you won't battle with glasses or contacts later. Also, if you don't get Final Select you will have already burnt time against the mandatory wait. That's a tough decision...good luck.

That is a good idea, but isn't there a limit of 3 months from Pro-Rec to FINDOCS submission? If so, this wouldn't allow for the minimum 3 month wait time to get PRK waiver.

MotoZuki

Thanks for the help. The soonest I can do PRK would be Apr 18th. This is certainly after hearing back about being final select. MEPS found 20/20 right, 20/30 left. However, I know that my eyesight is worse than this and I'll have problems with OCS's more in-depth exam. I do not want to encounter this and risk being bumped. Do I risk turning down the final select so that I can get PRK and reapply?

Moto

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Thanks for the help. The soonest I can do PRK would be Apr 18th. This is certainly after hearing back about being final select. MEPS found 20/20 right, 20/30 left. However, I know that my eyesight is worse than this and I'll have problems with OCS's more in-depth exam. I do not want to encounter this and risk being bumped. Do I risk turning down the final select so that I can get PRK and reapply?

Moto

Yes, MEPS is kinda dumb in that way. I tested to 20/20 in both eyes when my vision is more like 20/25 and 20/40 (Tested later at a civvy doc). I'm still within limits so I'm fine, but don't trust MEPS for your vision.

See if you can get an extension on your FINDOCS to allow you to get PRK. Talk to your OSO NOW!

BigRed389

None
That is a good idea, but isn't there a limit of 3 months from Pro-Rec to FINDOCS submission? If so, this wouldn't allow for the minimum 3 month wait time to get PRK waiver.

That appears to be somewhat dependent on circumstances, and more of a "guideline".