• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Timex Bodylink System

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Anybody here use GPS system and/or the HR monitor method of training? I have been thinking about getting either just the GPS or possibly the whole shabang.

Crowbar

None
I don't have the GPS system, but I have a Nike Tailwind pedometer that I use. I like it because I don't have to guess at how far I ran or how fast really was running.

I do have a Timex HR monitor (not the 100mph Bodylink, though). I like using it, sometimes to stay in a certain zone, like when doing cardio at the gym. I do like being able to know at the end of a run/workout/bike ride how long I was in "elite" or "anaerobic" or whatever zone I set it to.

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
Timex gps

My wife uses the Timex GPS system. She is a marathon runner. I have used it a couple of times to train. The thing is frickin awesome. It gives you constant updates on miles per minute, heart rate, time in zone, etc. You can then link it with your computer and keep a training program/log. It has done wonders for my wife's marathon training. Little pricey, but if you are a serious runner I would say it is worth it.

SFgirl

Garmin makes an awesome GPS. I got one at REI that lets you program a route and then compares your current to previous/desired pace. Not too pricey either, respectively... ~$125-150 is what I paid this past February/March.

Crowbar

None
Yeah I keep eyeballing that Garmin system. But if I get that, I'll have so many electronic toys it'll take 30 minutes to suit up (pedometer, HRM system, MP3 player, GPS......)....

SFgirl

Crowbar said:
Yeah I keep eyeballing that Garmin system. But if I get that, I'll have so many electronic toys it'll take 30 minutes to suit up (pedometer, HRM system, MP3 player, GPS......)....

Well, I liked it so much I bought it twice... after losing the first one in a "custody battle" of sorts. You could probably ditch the pedometer after getting the Garmin too.

CandKyMarine

Here's all you need to run: a watch and a pair of shoes. I ran for a Division I college and still run at an elite level. I've never used anything other than a watch -- never had a coach suggest anything more. Buying the latest and greatest is not going to make you faster. Running makes you faster.
If you really really need to know how far you ran. Jump in your car.

peanut3479

pilot
I was waiting for someone to chime in with a remark like that. Nowadays I measure my running distances by getting in the car and driving it or by driving X.Y miles from my house and noting the point to turn around at. My hometown has a large (citywide - some as long as 13mi one way) network of recreation trails w/ all the distances between points measured down to hundredths of miles and posted on the city's parks & recreation website; I doubt every city has that but a local or state recreation dept website might be a good place to look for info.

Crowbar

None
FilippiGirl said:
Here's all you need to run: a watch and a pair of shoes. I ran for a Division I college and still run at an elite level. I've never used anything other than a watch -- never had a coach suggest anything more. Buying the latest and greatest is not going to make you faster. Running makes you faster.
If you really really need to know how far you ran. Jump in your car.

Why didn't I think of that? A watch and shoes is what I've been missing! Seriously, who said anything about gadgets making you faster? Let's see.....

"I like it because I don't have to guess at how far I ran or how fast really was running"
"I like using it, sometimes to stay in a certain zone"
"You can then link it with your computer and keep a training program/log. "
"compares your current to previous/desired pace."

For those of us who aren't born with the natural ability to run like ****ing cheetahs, we need to be able to measure how we are doing. And it's not the gadget that makes me faster, it's knowing how I'm doing today compared to my last session. Am I elite? No. Do I have a dedicated coach? No. The best I have is a device that will tell me if I'm doing better or worse than before. Questions?

NavyOCS

Toys are fun to have too. It would be great to compare your perfromance so easily. I have been researching on the net as to which one I want. I like the Timex myself.

CandKyMarine

Yes, crowbar, I have a few questions.
I don't understand how being abot to "run like a ***ing cheetah" has anything to do with wanting to measure your performance. It doesn't hurnt any less just cause you're going faster.
Have you even had your max heart rate tested? Not using one of those equations like 220-age or the like. Those don't mean anything. And what's more important than using some artificial number you think is your max hr is to know your lactic threshold. Have you had that tested? You could actually be doing more harm than good to yourself training at what you think are proper heart rates and actually be quite a bit over/under where you should. Also, the time of day you run, your eating for that day and your job stress can all signifigantly alter your max heartrate for a given time (by up to 30bpm). So unless you have solid numbers for all these an arbitrary hr is not doing you much good.
I also think it's safe to assume that the average user on this board is running about 3,4 or maybe 5 miles a few times a week. HR moniters aren't very accurate unless they're used for over an hour.
Save yourself some money. You'll get more benifit out of running off effort. A simple way to do this is my measuring your breath. For a very "easy" running pace, you'll inhale for 2 strides, exhale 2 strides and have one "dead" stride. Running "in the zone" as people like to refer to a good solid steady state run you'll be at a 2:2 inhale:exhale (no dead stride). When you near your aneorobic threshold you'll be at 2:1 and at/passed it at 1:1. This is actually a much more effective way of ensuring that you're getting proper training. Check yourself against a watch to measure improvement.
If you're so concerned with testing your performance sign up for a race. It's better to beat someone else than yourself anyway.

Crowbar

None
Well, if you aren't born with the ability to run fast and you want to get to that point, you have to train. Agree? Not all of us (especially the 200+ lb flat footed ones) are going to be on a track team and have a staff of coaches and experts guiding us along the way. So we need some way to measure our performance. Having a pedometer will tell you how far you've gone and how fast you've done it. Having a HRM will tell you how far your pulse is elevated and if you should be concerned because it is tooooooo high.
No, I don't have HR tested because I'm not a world class athlete and probably never will be. I have, however, used other professionally recommended methods to find my max rate. And no, I don't use the 220 equation because it's not right.
You mean if I'm dehydrated or really tired or I run when it's really hot my HR will change? Get the **** outta here. In 10 years of running I never noticed that. Give me a break.
I don't run 3, 4, or 5 miles a few times a week. My average is about 10-15 miles once/twice per month, 7-8 miles once or twice a week, 4-6 miles three to five times per week (sometimes in boots), and hitting the gym for weight training and aerobic exercise 5-6 times per week. I swim when I get a chance, but not as often as I'd like. So I get my >1 hour workouts. Here's a thought, too. Maybe I monitor my heart rate while I'm lifting weights to see what it reacts to.
As far as racing, at 28 years old I've discovered my love of marathons. But, I'm off to The Basic School next month so I won't be doing any for a while. Don't worry, I have two (one full, one Rock and Roll half) picked out to run over the next 18 months.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, somebody asked about whether or not they liked the Timex Bodylink system. I still say yes, it's useful to have a pedometer and HRM. Good luck changing my mind.

Dirty Underwear Gang

Save yourself some money
1. Measuring Distances - Freebie. All it costs is some time to do research on running trails, looking at a map for distances, or jumping in your car and driving your route to get the distance.
2. How long did the run take - Freebie. Just push start on your watch when you start and stop when you stop.
3. Monitoring Heart Rate - Freebie. All it takes is some counting and arithmetic. Use your middle and index fingers to find the correct artery, look at your watch, and count beats for 15 seconds. Take the amount of beats and multiply by four.
4. Keeping a log - pen + notebook = $2
5. Figuring pace - Freebie. Use the tried and true equation: Rate * Time = Distance. A little algebra gives you: Rate (or pace) = Distance/Time. Knowing your distances covered and dividing that what your watch says gives you your pace.
6. Now that you know your pace, is it above/below your desired pace - Freebie. Simple number theory. If your actual pace > desired pace or actual pace < desired pace, then you aren't going your desired pace.
Looks like I just saved you a bunch of money and I'm not even Geico.

Crowbar

None
I've got the money. What I don't have is the patience to sit down and do all that crap you just mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.