• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time with family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
I never really gave this much thought untill I met my girlfriend a year and a half ago, but throughout a career in the Navy as a jet pilot, how much time per year (on average of course) do you get to spend at home and/or away from home? I would love more than anything to be a Naval Aviatior, but if I couldn't be with my wife or family at all, it would be extremely difficult. Also, during the first two years or so of service, during training... how much time do you have to spend away then?
lol I honestly never expected to meet anyone before the Navy... always thought it'd be just me goin in and then maybe meet that "special someone" but that didn't happen... for the better... she said she'd be more than willing to support whatever I decide to do... but doesn't make the decision any easier.

Thank you for any input, and I apolagize if this has been asked before.

JenniH

Jennifer
Great question! My husband is a student aviator right now, and I will say that a student's time is stretched w/ studying and/or fly time. I can't answer for after Primary but I have heard that it will not get much better until after you get winged, and even then there are other things that will keep you away from home; obviously like deployments.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Boss,

I'm not a pilot, but I can give you an idea of what you're looking at. Our squadron got home in the Middle of September last year from deployment. We went on a 3-week boat det in January, will do 2 more plus a fallon det before the year is out, then we will go on deployment at some point in 2005 (sorry if I'm vauge, practicing Op-sec). If you add it up, in 2004, we'll be gone for 11-12 weeks. Just be glad you're not ships company, those guys earn their sea pay. Deployments are typically 6 months, unless you were on the Lincoln or Vinson. Those guys got screwed. Anyway, the other thing to factor in is shore duty. Sure you'll be doing dets and deployments on a 3-year sea tour, but then you'll get 3 years of shore duty, which means you'll have plenty of time at home. Hope this gives you a good idea.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Wow, thank you for the responses. Great information. What kinds of things do you do for shore duty? would that be like additional training and possibly flight instruction? And also, when not on deployment, what typically goes on during that time?

Thanks again!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Boss,

Flight intstructor at the rag is pretty common. I don't know the lowdown on shore duty for pilots. When not on deployment, you basically do what you do on deployment: Fly! Except your at home, and it's not nearly as intense as if you were on the carrier (assuming you get a carrier platform). Also, you take care of your desk job (line Div O, Skeds O, 1st. Lt, etc.), again, you'd have to do that stuff if you were on the ship too.

If they are lucky they get to fly everyday. Just because you get shore tour doesn't necessarily mean you get to be home every night or fly much for that matter. Depends on what your shore tour assignment is.
Some shore tours involve frequently going on detachments = time away from home.
Speaking solely on firsthand knowledge about IP's in the RAG or weapons school.
Also those who do a tour as a test pilot, while physically home just long enough to sleep with the spouse at night, they are not really "at home" that much either.
Hope this helps. :)
HrntDrvrsWife :cowboy_12

Status
Not open for further replies.