• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time Committment

Stalin

Don't really know where to post this, but I have a quick question. I got my Final Select Letter already for pilot. I know pilot incurs a 8 year commitment, but on my enlistment paperwork it said 8 years, 4 of which has to be in the active component and 4 has to be in the reserve component. Is this the case or do I get a new contract that states 8 active duty years after I receive my wings? I'd ask my recruiter, but he is on leave and I don't want to bother him. Thanks!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Stalin, that is strictly an enlistment contract, that is what you're obligated to do if you remain enlisted, since technically you're an E-5/PO1 while you're at OCS. . .don't worry though, you should pick up your commission at the end of OCS :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Stalin, that is strictly an enlistment contract, that is what you're obligated to do if you remain enlisted, since technically you're an E-5/PO1 while you're at OCS. . .don't worry though, you should pick up your commission at the end of OCS :)

Not true. Let's forget any RIF that may come about for a second, when you sign the paperwork as an officer (which I can't remember if it's actually called an enlistment...it's been too long), you are acknowledging acceptance that you owe 8 years. Period. Now there's caveats and exceptions such as 4 years active/4 years IRR or aviators who incur a wings + x amount, but that is served concurrently.

To the OP, for the wings + x, that's an additional contract you sign when you wing, which "updates" your original "enlistment" contract you signed at accession. But again, it's served concurrently.

Flying Toaster

None
Not true. Let's forget any RIF that may come about for a second, when you sign the paperwork as an officer (which I can't remember if it's actually called an enlistment...it's been too long), you are acknowledging acceptance that you owe 8 years. Period.

Sort of like all the people in the early to mid 00's who forgot to read the fine print and found out the hard way every enlistment is 8 years. The only duration you "choose" is what portion of that you'd like to be active vs. IRR, but that's not important since no one ever gets called up from the IRR...

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Not true. Let's forget any RIF that may come about for a second, when you sign the paperwork as an officer (which I can't remember if it's actually called an enlistment...it's been too long), you are acknowledging acceptance that you owe 8 years. Period. Now there's caveats and exceptions such as 4 years active/4 years IRR or aviators who incur a wings + x amount, but that is served concurrently.

To the OP, for the wings + x, that's an additional contract you sign when you wing, which "updates" your original "enlistment" contract you signed at accession. But again, it's served concurrently.

The paperwork you sign BEFORE you go to OCS is a standard enlistment contract, almost identical to what your sailors signed when they went to their recruiter. The big difference is, you're coming in as an E-5, and you're enlisting for the purpose of a commission. The enlistment contract that you sign is the 'gotcha' paperwork that will let them keep you in the Navy for 4 years of Active enlisted service if they so choose to exercise that option (assuming you DOR.) Given that the Navy is downsizing, I don't see this as a very likely option, in fact all the people I know who DORed, ended up going back home, with the exception of a NUPOC guy. He had the privilege of going to Great Lakes instead . . . as an E-3.

Going back to the 8 year commitment, yes, it's 8 years active after winging. The enlistment contract you sign is also signed at the same time as the pilot addendum that you have to sign that says you'll be in for 8 years after winging.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Going back to the 8 year commitment, yes, it's 8 years active after winging. The enlistment contract you sign is also signed at the same time as the pilot addendum that you have to sign that says you'll be in for 8 years after winging.

I'm thinking this might be a difference between OCS and the other sources. I don't remember ever signing an addendum that committed me to 6, 7, or 8 years. There may have been a "here's a head's up" form, but no contract. That came later when I did whatever it is I did in flight school when I acknowledged that I owed an additional 7 years from winging (which was specifically stated on my orders, as well).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'm thinking this might be a difference between OCS and the other sources. I don't remember ever signing an addendum that committed me to 6, 7, or 8 years. There may have been a "here's a head's up" form, but no contract. That came later when I did whatever it is I did in flight school when I acknowledged that I owed an additional 7 years from winging (which was specifically stated on my orders, as well).

I have no clue about the other sources and signing of their commitment but I do remember signing something along the lines of what eas7888 is describing. I don't know if I would call it a "contract" but it is at the minimum "here's a head's up." I would call it an addendum as well. If memory serves me correctly I signed it almost immediately after the enlistment contract similar to my AC portion of my original enlistment contract.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I know eas7888 knows the difference but for everyone else to clarify E-5 is a PO2 not a PO1......

There's a nice brain fart moment moment. I love it when I have those on here. . .I don't love them when I try and overspeed the gear, and have to buy an $8 six pack of beer. (Though I would rather pay $8 than the couple grand for a gear inspection) But that's another story.

I'm sure every commissioning source is just a little different. I think BDCP and NUPOC are similar to the straight OCS accessions, in that they actually have to sign an enlistment contract before they go. Technically, while at OCS, we are all members of the USN Reserve, albeit serving in an active duty status. To tell you the truth, it all confused the hell out of me, I don't know how it all works, I just pushed the 'I believe' button, and three months later I had a shiny butter bar.