• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time between OCS and API

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcstruble

How much time is there between these two normally? Best and worst situations you've encountered? I've heard some even get deployed before training.

Ed Williams

It all depends on where you are going and if you are a SNFO or SNA. Best and worst that happened while i was working in Flight MAnagement.... One student checked into the Apool on friday ocs graduation, took the in prt the next friday and started classes the next thursday. Worst case, 9 weeks.
ed

lthackston

I am also interested in what people have to say about this. I hope to have a few weeks between in order to get some things squared away. I should be finishing OCS at the end of July. Does anyone have further thoughts or information about the wait between OCS and API for SNA?

tali264

it depends on SNA or SNFO. Sometimes SNAs go faster and sometimes SNFOs. Right now it's SNAs. It also depends on the time of year. In June (when everybody graduates) there are going to be TONS of people down here waiting so don't expect to class up quickly.

lthackston

Okay, my other related question then is what is one required to do during that waiting time? Is is free time to do as we please or are we required to stay in Pensacola and only take short 50 mile trips?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the wait between OCS and API the same waiting period that new Ensigns get sent (probably after they requested) back home for a short duty at your hometown recruiter's office? I've heard of this several times and actually saw a Nuke at my recruiting station who had just returned from OCS.

What else do you do for the 8-12 weeks before you class up?

cechorn

IP wife
My SO just graduated OCS Jan 30th and classed up for API on 2/27 (last friday), but he had previous flight hours so he didn't have to go through IFS. He's a SNA.

tali264

during waiting time either you do nothing or are assigned a stash job. In stash jobs you normally spend 2-3 days working and those are normally 6 hour shifts. You are allowed to go a certain distance without telling someone (I can't remember what it is) and if you go outside that radius then you just sign a travel log. Not a big deal at all.

The time for aviators and nuke/suppy guys are different. When those guys go home to work at a recruiting station they are just waiting for a class to start for them. Pilots and NFOs aren't allowed to do OHARP duty right now. So you can either take a vacation (up to 30 days if you are BDCP or 10 days if just graduating from OCS) or stay here and work. I didn't take any vacation and just have a stash job. Believe me...you don't need a vacation. You'll have PLENTY of time to sit around and just relax.

ghost_ttu

Tali, It's not like you ever work anyway!!! :-p Sorry I haven't called, is your number still the same? Congrats on commissioning!!!!! I have some news for you ;-) I'll try to call you soon, I'm on spring break, but it's not much of a break, I'm still busy as heck. I don't check this thing much, so email me at my address, if you don't have it, then I'll try to get a hold of you soon.

Sorry everyone for using up your space, You should be on an Air Force board anyway!!!! :-p

tali264

ghost_ttu said:
Tali, It's not like you ever work anyway!!! :-p Sorry I haven't called, is your number still the same? Congrats on commissioning!!!!! I have some news for you ;-) I'll try to call you soon, I'm on spring break, but it's not much of a break, I'm still busy as heck. I don't check this thing much, so email me at my address, if you don't have it, then I'll try to get a hold of you soon.

Sorry everyone for using up your space, You should be on an Air Force board anyway!!!! :-p

Great...thanks for making me wait to hear the news :icon_boxi

I don't have your e-mail.....I sent you a PM before the sight was changed, but maybe you didn't get it.

I classed up for API last Friday. Not too bad so far. We have 5 Air Force guys in our class (just thought you'd like to know).

Anyway...have fun on break.

Sabre170

None
I just wanted to send back up to the top of the list. Any idea of the current waiting time between OCS and API?

thundersquid

pilot
I just finished API about a month ago and I waited 16 weeks from after my OCS leave ended to API start. I wasn't waiting on waivers or anything but I did do IFS. The people who didn't take the leave after OCS still had to wait the same time (most of them classed up only a week before I did). The exceptions to this while I was there was the volunteers for Moody, Vance, and corpus.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
thundersquid said:
volunteers for Moody, Vance, and corpus.

realy, no one wants corpus? it was the same when I was in Pcola. People would wait for whiting. I don't see the reasoning behind that. It's not like you'll have THAT much free time that it would make a difference. Corpus people have moved faster I've noticed once in Primary. I will be complete with primary at corpus in less than 5 months, including weather and holidays.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to start a new thread on this topic that includes a poll. I'm trying to get a feel for the break between OCS and API so I can plan a wedding...

Status
Not open for further replies.