• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tiger Guts It Out!!!!!!!

phrogpilot73

I do play golf so I understand what you're saying. Also, I am not trying to knock Tiger. I just wanted to make the point that the talk about his knee was incessant. In reference to the short recovery time I have to bring football up one more final time. Look up Willis McGahee's injury in the '03 Orange Bowl (January). He was squatting something like 350 lbs. by April and working out for NFL scouts. He was the number 1 RB drafted that year. That impresses me a whole lot more than walking 91 holes while your caddy carries your bag.
Again, I'll bring up that it's a different game. In football - hold on to the ball and take hits. That's it. It's a game that enables people with injuries to be successful. In golf, a game where if your wrists are 1/2 degree off - you slice/hook. The fact that he can still perform on the level of a PGA champion when he's not at 100% is impressive. Again, it's a different game.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't consider myself a golf fan by any stretch. However, I was glued to that playoff today. That was awesome. I was also pulling for Rocco just because that would have been a great story.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Gen. Yeager started to believe his press in the 80's, contrast him with Bob Hoover whose accomplishments are similar and yet is much more of a humble person. Not to jump on USAF types, after all I was an Infanty officer so not much clout here, but BG Ritchey seems to have the same mindset.

Ritchie is a similar case, yes.

Then again, Duke Cunningham is similar as well, so it's not just a USAF thing.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wouldn't consider myself a golf fan by any stretch. However, I was glued to that playoff today. That was awesome. I was also pulling for Rocco just because that would have been a great story.

Seriously. There's something about that guy that you just had to hope he could somehow win it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ritchie is a similar case, yes.

Then again, Duke Cunningham is similar as well, so it's not just a USAF thing.

Oh I agree, 'it' does not discriminate by uniform. Just wanted to make sure who he was talking about.

And Tiger, I am not a golf fan but I tip my hat to anyone who makes golfing exciting. Rocco too, nice to see two real 'pros' go at it like that.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Sorry, not me. I was pulling for Tiger all the way. Then again, I'm a Yankee fan, so that might explain it :D

It's hard not to be a fan of a guy who is so incredibly dominating in his sport, makes more in endorsements than any other athlete on the planet, plays half the tournaments as the rest of the pros, but still usually makes double the next guy in earnings, marries an insanely hot European model, and on top of it is a really nice guy. Golf couldn't ask for a better champion.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
There are some stats that the article alludes to that are worth noting again.

From the time of the ACL tear discovery: 12 tournaments, worst finish 5th, 9 wins, 2 majors. That is one hell of a career; far better than many lifetime tour pros, and he did it in 12 tournaments on a bum leg. Insane.

EDIT: In response to any copyright concerns, that is not a quote from the article. Those statistics can be found off many golf websites and I am not directly quoting anyone's copyrighted content.

limeyfish

One shot Tiger Can't Make

The best golf of the summer was actually played at the Pro-Am event at the Buick Open. John Daly and Kid Rock were paired together... Daly's tee shot on 7th hole, 300 yds down the middle of the fairway. -1 for using a full can of beer as a tee though. (Detroit News Photo).