• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

those things on the side of planes that represent kills...

mike172

GO NAVY
Ive been searching google but have been unable to find what I am looking for. During WWII and other wars what is the painted... thing... that signifies a kill? I hope someone will understand what I am asking. I am trying to figure out what the name is for the "thing" refered to above.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I've always heard of them as kill markings but I don't know if the collection of them has any official names.

FastMover

NFO
None
Generally the type of marking depended on what nation operated the aircraft. In the PTO I've only seen rising sun flags painted under the cockpit. In Europe they used swastikas or the black cross that the Germans used to ID their airplanes.

Later on during Korea and Vietnam red stars or MiG silhouettes were used to represent kills.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
US Typically posted victories below or near cockpit and there were variations in theatre and even among squadrons and individals
aamaccampbell3.jpg

Navy's top ace in WWII and his personal choice of markings

Germans in WWII marked victories on the rudder
pilot_galland.jpg

Galland's Me109

USAAF top ace Richard Bong put more emphasis on his wife than his kills
bong_richard_wi6a.jpg

VF-17 Jolly Rogers preference for markings in the air
Corsairs.jpg

and on the ground
aablackburn.jpg

Israelis use roundels replicating markings of the victims
disp_f15.jpg

More Israeli F-15s showing successes in the air
AIR_F-15_IDF_Kill_Lineup_lg.jpg

Robin Olds racked up 17 kills in WWII and went on to score again over North Vietnam
350px-Olds-1.jpg

ETO leading ace John C Meyer before the jeep wreck that pulled him out of contention
meyer.jpg

Gabby Gabreski's choice of markings in WWII in ETO
image006.jpg

Leading Korean Ace Joe McConnell's F-86
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/020925-O-9999G-005.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
US Typically posted victories below or near cockpit and there were variations in theatre and even among squadrons and individals
aamaccampbell3.jpg

Navy's top ace in WWII and his personal choice of markings

Germans in WWII marked victories on the rudder
pilot_galland.jpg

Galland's Me109

USAAF top ace Richard Bong put more emphasis on his wife than his kills
bong_richard_wi6a.jpg

VF-17 Jolly Rogers preference for markings in the air
Corsairs.jpg

and on the ground
aablackburn.jpg

Israelis use roundels replicating markings of the victims
disp_f15.jpg

More Israeli F-15s showing successes in the air
AIR_F-15_IDF_Kill_Lineup_lg.jpg

Robin Olds racked up 17 kills in WWII and went on to score again over North Vietnam
350px-Olds-1.jpg

ETO leading ace John C Meyer before the jeep wreck that pulled him out of contention
meyer.jpg

Gabby Gabreski's choice of markings in WWII in ETO
image006.jpg

Leading Korean Ace Joe McConnell's F-86
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/020925-O-9999G-005.jpg

Good photo's!! I think I've some books that are all about kill markings on aircraft. They had pics from WWI, II, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In days of old (A4s and HAL help me here) were pilots more likely to fly "their" aircraft than today? I used to have a 46 with my name, but I didn't fly it anymore than anyone else. It mostly meant that the crewchief and I had to field day it once a month.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
In days of old (A4s and HAL help me here) were pilots more likely to fly "their" aircraft than today? I used to have a 46 with my name, but I didn't fly it anymore than anyone else. It mostly meant that the crewchief and I had to field day it once a month.

What was involved with the field day?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

The average odds of flying “my F-4” on any given day were about 13:1 (except if she were the hangar queen).

And unlike HAL, I’m older than dirt. :D