• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This will be the source of endless amusement

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
Hey HAL Pilot,

I know Admiral Deutsch as well, a good family friend when he was a one star in Misawa, and he is an awesome guy. He was an inspiration in wanting to be a naval aviator and even wrote a letter of rec for me. Good guy and I hope to see him again one day.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
Xmid,

I knew your Dad (Steve S. - an acquaintance) and Ken Deutsch (fairly well). As the VP shore detailer, Deutsch gave me the worst orders of my career when he had a "hard fill requirement".....but he made up for it latter as the VP sea detailer by getting me out of them 15 months into a 36 month tour for another "pop-up hard fill carrier job". (I don't think either were with my best interest at heart but rather a way to get his bosses off his back.) We had laughs and beers over this at the O'club when he was the VP-24 XO.

Of the VPers I knew that made flag rank, Ken Deutsch was the most deserving.
Yeah, when 24 decomm'd, he came over to be my XO in 45. Super cool guy with the troops.

Brett

Chubby

TXHusker05 said:
Plus, the missions that EP-3/P-3 pilots are actually important missions which is why I wouldn't select jets... as badass as it would be, we have scared all the enemies out of the sky. That is just my opinion though.
Yeah, cause Jets are all just eye candy. I guess the bombs they drop in close air support are just for show, but tell that to the troops getting shot at. Not trying to get into a pissing contest but let's not sell anyone short.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Plus, the missions that EP-3/P-3 pilots are actually important missions which is why I wouldn't select jets... as badass as it would be, we have scared all the enemies out of the sky. That is just my opinion though.

Shut your trap until you know what you're talking about.

gotrythis.jpeg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Some of you will remember Shane Osborn....he got out of the Navy ...
Not to resurrect an old thread, but: Osborn?? Got out of the Navy?? Gee ... I wonder why. :)

BUT: to the larger question ... even though I loved the idea of carrier aviation since I was 7 years old, I was originally planning to go P-3's ... I rode one back from NPA to NBG to NBE to NUQ to NUW @ Christmas on my first year in Pensacola -- rode "up front" for much of the trip and was thoroughly impressed. Bunks, chow, walkin' around room ... wow!!! I thought it was the "smart" choice. Land based flying gedunk wagons, sleep on dry land, 6-month "cruise", get an apartment (really a villa) in Subic Bay, a pretty good airplane, and a pretty good chance you won't get shot down. Good logbook time just in case you don't stay in the Navy. All the usual suspects .....

THEN: when it came time to select jets or props or helos out of primary -- a.k.a. Saufley Field, a.k.a. VT-1 (AND with all the experience that 16 T-34 hops in your logbook can buy): timing had me putting in my "dream sheet" during a bombing pause ... that's when when only one or two guys out of 20-30 each week were getting jets. My grades were good enough to get jets. I thought: I don't want to be sitting around the bar 50 years from now saying ... "well, I COULD HAVE GONE JETS .... " ... or something similar.

So I went jets. Never looked back, and I've never been sorry .... :)