• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This is old school

KBayDog

Talk about taking knives to a gunfight...

I recall reading about the U.S. battling some pesky "pirates" from northern Africa a few years back; that time, the Navy landed a few Marines who went on a bit of a hike...and subsequently made history.

MamelukeSword.gif

obannoncharles2.jpg

JMO

Pirates, Al Q, Taliban who cares! Bravo Zulo U.S. Navy. Keeping the High Seas safe.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Good to hear they are all ok. I had my first class cruise on the CAPE this past summer. Bunch of good guys.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Echo mules. Have friends on both the CAPE ST. GEORGE and GONZALEZ... I actually had orders to the GONZALEZ until I was given the option to go NFO...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Curious where that hole was in the ship. I realize that our ships don't have armor, but small arms fire? Btw, when is it no longer small arms?

Also wonder what side of the Cape they were on, and if it had the 25mm onboard for deployment.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
.....Btw, when is it no longer small arms?....
When "it" is greater than: revolvers and self loading pistols, rifles and carbines, assault rifles, sub machine guns and light machine guns. In other words, "small arms" are generally understood to be rifle caliber and smaller .... :)

BUT: it is incomprehensible to imagine that the USN would use anything less than .50 cal BMG when dealing with ship-to-ship encounters.

In any case ... GOOD JOB, NAVY !!!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
Curious where that hole was in the ship. I realize that our ships don't have armor, but small arms fire? Btw, when is it no longer small arms?

Also wonder what side of the Cape they were on, and if it had the 25mm onboard for deployment.

The photo I think you are talking about shows a spot where a round impacted plate steel. Not a hole per se, but a mark where the round hit and mushroomed. Just chipped the paint.

Of course it also appears the bad guys forgot you can't hide behind thin fiberglass hulls.

r/
G
Living the dream...smack dab in the middle of this...

KBayDog

Schnugg said:
Just chipped the paint.

One of two things must've happened:

1. Some junior sailors rolled their eyes and said, "Great, another working party..." or

2. Some contractor heard about the chipped paint and said, "$$$ Cha-ching! $$$"

:D

*OBLIGATORY CLARIFICATION: These statements are made completely in jest, and not designed to be taken seriously.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has to be said . . . Yarrrrrrrrr! Avast ye scurvy dogs!

</threadjack>

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Now these *ahem* "pirates" are saying that we fired first. I'd be willing to bet that multiple camera angles will prove otherwise.

We are just humble fishermen out to make an honest living...(please ignore our AK-47s and RPGs..and lack of fishing nets)