• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS guy for president!!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is this guy for real??? Too bad he's a Brit. I'd vote for this guy in a heartbeat ... a retro-Churchill, or is that just over the top ... ??? :D

Hear, hear .... hear, hear ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sir, did you mean Prime-Minister since this is English politics?
RTFQ ... no, I meant what I said: President

I get it ... he's a Brit .... but still, the principles, the moxie, the panache ... a politician that "moves" me .... put me down in his column for a campaign donation. :)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
RTFQ ... no, I meant what I said: President

I get it ... he's a Brit .... but still, the principles, the moxie, the panache ... a politician that "moves" me .... put me down in his column for a campaign donation. :)

Me thinks he's positioning himself for greater things, and it's all a show. Kicking a dog on the ground isn't very hard.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Me thinks he's positioning himself for greater things, and it's all a show. Kicking a dog on the ground isn't very hard.
Agree .... politics is ALWAYS a "show" ... there are those who can "do it" and those who can't ... this guy's got my vote. :)

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
See, this is why I think that we should put the President up against Congress like the Brits do in PMQs. This kind of stuff doesn't happen in America, and it should. Congress and the President fight their battles on the news in 10-second sound bites, not 3 minute tirades that would make the Osbournes cringe.

Watch CSpan on Wednesday afternoons if you don't know what I'm talking about. The PMQs are fascinating.

1. It would, by design, not be scripted or teleprompted.
2. It would, also by definition, put the power back in the hands it belongs in; Congress, by holding the President accountable to Congress, and not to himself.
3. It would allows the public to see the interaction between Congress and the President as it happens, and doesn't allow for any fluffing or damage control. What is said, is said.

I know of more than a few political analysts on both sides who think we should adopt this practice into our government.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PMQT's is a very cool deal. McCain proposed doing something similar if he were elected. The problem with that is that since they're separate branches of government, the President doesn't answer to Congress; the Prime Minister remains a Member of Parliament.

Since this thing was British MP's responding to the PM, what's with all the European Union stuff? What happened to the Commons?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
How many other Brezhnev era apparatchiks are toeing the party line in this country??

Kazimake

PMQT's is a very cool deal. McCain proposed doing something similar if he were elected. The problem with that is that since they're separate branches of government, the President doesn't answer to Congress; the Prime Minister remains a Member of Parliament.

Since this thing was British MP's responding to the PM, what's with all the European Union stuff? What happened to the Commons?

I believe this wasn't a meeting of the British Parliament, but the European Parliament. ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I love the command of language that guy has. He could teach our politicians a thing or two about making a point and sounding good while you do it.

yak52driver

Contributor
I do like what he said, I believe many of the world leaders are guilty of the same mindset he accused the PM of. But I'm curious what his proposed solutions to resolve the current problems are.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I believe this wasn't a meeting of the British Parliament, but the European Parliament. ;)

Either way it is a parliamentary system in which the executive is accountable to the body.

I like the idea of having something similar, and even though our executive is constitutionally on equal terms with the legislature there is nothing unconstitutional about requiring a formal interview session. Our Constitution already requires that the President address the Congress and the nation from time to time in the state of the union.

Its my understanding that under the Westminster system the body can force the executive to do something, while under our system Congress legally forcing the POTUS is rather rare. Adding an interview session with the Congress wouldn't change the formal balance of power, if anything it would act as a check against the runaway presidential power of the Modern Presidency.